Golden Dawn

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Kenzie..Kat

Golden Dawn

Post by Kenzie..Kat »

My parents got me this really awesome witch calender for Christmas, and it said I was born on MacGregor Mather's(founder of the Golden Dawn) birthday. I looked the Golden Dawn up, and I am very interested into joining it. All I want to know, is if Im betraying my religion and the Divine? I never want to do that, but if i joined, would I?
Traumwandlerin

Re: Golden Dawn

Post by Traumwandlerin »

So, what is your religion? There are certain religions you would betray if you convert to another, christianity for example.

Also I'm not an expert, but Golden Dawn still exists? I always thought that was kind of a hype thing, that existed for a while and then spltted up in many different sects. Why do you want to join the Golden Dawn anyway?
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

What is golden dawn?
A new found power

Post by A new found power »

@lost demise. The Golden Dawn was one of the most active magical orders in 19th-20th C. They were one of the most influencing practisers of the occult in the west. apparently, concepts of magick in Wicca were inspired from the Golden Dawn itself.

There were three founders originally, all freemasons. They are :
William Robert Woodman,
William Wynn Westcott and
Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers.

The initial driving force out of the three is considered to be Westcott.

Many of the practises in Wicca and other witchcraft-based religions were practised in the Golden Dawn, such as Scrying, Astral travel and Alchemy (Sometimes referred to as "alchemie.")
A new found power

Oh and @ Kenzie, I'm sceptical that this would be considered a betrayal of your religion. After all, apparently the Golden Dawn gave inspiration to Wicca and many witchcraft-based religions, so therefore it would likely be well within the laws of "safe" in regards to betrayal. However, if you want to join this "clan" for spiritual reasons, then you should not see it as a betrayal, merely your true belief. For example, I thought I was a Christian. I saw it as no betrayal to realise that I didn't connect with Christianity or agree with it's main points, nor did I see it as a betrayal to abandon it as a religion.
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

It sounds like something I would hate with all my might^^;;;..
A new found power

And why would that be? :o
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

Just.. certain types of people rub me all the wrong ways.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I didn't even know you could just join - isn't it something that's hard to get into or something ? I was under the impression it was one of those really prestigious types
xx
A new found power

I would imagine so Kitty. From research it seems they were dominant only in 19-20th centuries, but seemed to have died down somewhat in the 21st. I'd imagine thats because they became more selective, or because alot of religions/ideas broke away from them and became individual religions (such as Wicca.)
Kenzie..Kat

Post by Kenzie..Kat »

You sort of have to train to actully become part of it. I am a Wiccan and I just wanted to know if I was betraying it. It is something I just want to be a part of, and now that I have leearned moe about it, I want to become more and more a part of it
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

Why do you fear "betraying" your "religion"? (out of interest have you dedicated and initiated into wicca?...

anyhoo... if you want to do something in life but you are worried about betraying a religion then surely that religion is not for you? If it limits your life then what is the point? you only get one life, to allow anyone, thing or idea to limit you is to accept defeat and waste your time so that it means nothing, it is worthless.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”