Witch/Wiccan are you born such, or can you become one?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
WhiteTigress

Post by WhiteTigress »

So, a friend has recently revealed that she is a witch, and well a few of my other close friends have other special abilities attributed to them. From the what I have been told, they have all been born with these abilities innate. I have no such knowledge of myself. Is witchcraft only practiced by born witches, or can you become one?

WhiteTigress
Kitty

Re: Witch/Wiccan are you born such, or can you become one?

Post by Kitty »

The way i see it there are two aspects - the religion side and the power side
I believe everyone is born with the ability to do things but for some it is much easier
There are some people who will never master a spell but can read auras without much effort at all and vice versa
A lot of psychic powers are often attributed to innate ability though, this could be what they're reffering to ...
xx
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

This is a question I hear very often. Many people can be born with special abilities that are inherited through their family line. I myself have a few that come from my Celtic heritage. You can also learn and become a witch on your own of course. As the previous post stated it comes down to learning vs the power aspect.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I believe you are born a witch, it is a part of who you are. It is in your spirit though not your blood line. A witch can be born into a whole family of muslims or buddist. You can also have a pagan soul without being a witch.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I agree with JBRaven, you are born with the soul, the 'interest' and the innate abilities. If you have taken an interest in the craft, then I would say that you are born with the soul of a witch. You don't necessarily have 'powers', skills in witchcraft take time to learn, sometimes many years! (Take Tarot for an example. Difficult to learn, but well worth it!)
WhiteTigress

Post by WhiteTigress »

Ok, was just wondering. There are many different feelings on the subject. Seeing as some people just seem to know, right off that they are witches. Outta curiosity, what are your guys' personal views on demons and evil spirits?
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

What you need to understand is that when you look in a mirror that is not you. You are....*inside* the body that you see there, you are your spirit/soul not your body. A ghost or spirit is merely you without a body, and when you die you simply become a spirit/ghost. Some people believe that you then reincarnate, or go to some sort of heaven or hell or whatever, that doesnt matter. What does matter is that a ghost and you are no different.

So, once you know that a ghost is just like you then you can see that negative spirits do exist. Hitler... Where is he? Assuming he didnt flee to south america then he is dead, and if he is dead then he is a spirit and no doubt he still hates jews so somewhere out there he has a negative spirit, probably still trying to do harm to jewish spirits and anyone he doesnt like. He isnt EVIL, there is no such thing, he is however negative.

Demons do not exist IMHO, there is no need for them, no place and to me the idea of demons/angels is the story of the human mind's need for a greater power.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Huh? Everyone goes along the born-line?

Are you born a Christian? Obviously not, you maybe are born into a christian family and they nurture you to become a Christian. So you are made a Christian. Wicca is a religion, you decide to follow it. Witchcraft is not in itself a religion but merely a special path you fill with your own meaning. You need to decide to call this path "Witchcraft" and you decide what fills this word. In my opinion witchcraft has nothing to do with special abilities but a lot of serious work, you'll learn a lot which will count as special for others. I've learnt a lot about physics in my life, I have a special ability for this, but everyone understands, that I just learnt it and no one would call that witchy. So why do you think seeing ghosts or predict the future is something magical, special and you either are able to do it or not? Everyone has those abilities, for some it's probably easier than to others, due to nurture or their born (genetic) abilities. You know, as some people are born intelligent, of course they have it easier to learn math but this doesn't mean that only intelligent people can do math, everyone can, if they are interested and motivated to do so.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Traumwandlerin wrote:Huh? Everyone goes along the born-line?

Are you born a Christian? Obviously not, you maybe are born into a christian family and they nurture you to become a Christian. So you are made a Christian. Wicca is a religion, you decide to follow it. Witchcraft is not in itself a religion but merely a special path you fill with your own meaning. You need to decide to call this path "Witchcraft" and you decide what fills this word. In my opinion witchcraft has nothing to do with special abilities but a lot of serious work, you'll learn a lot which will count as special for others. I've learnt a lot about physics in my life, I have a special ability for this, but everyone understands, that I just learnt it and no one would call that witchy. So why do you think seeing ghosts or predict the future is something magical, special and you either are able to do it or not? Everyone has those abilities, for some it's probably easier than to others, due to nurture or their born (genetic) abilities. You know, as some people are born intelligent, of course they have it easier to learn math but this doesn't mean that only intelligent people can do math, everyone can, if they are interested and motivated to do so.

Did you read my post, you are not born a witch or Pagan, you are born with the spirit that demands that you question and love like a witch or pagan. Being born with this type of soul in a way makes you born a pagan.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

shadowx wrote:What you need to understand is that when you look in a mirror that is not you. You are....*inside* the body that you see there, you are your spirit/soul not your body. A ghost or spirit is merely you without a body, and when you die you simply become a spirit/ghost. Some people believe that you then reincarnate, or go to some sort of heaven or hell or whatever, that doesnt matter. What does matter is that a ghost and you are no different.

So, once you know that a ghost is just like you then you can see that negative spirits do exist. Hitler... Where is he? Assuming he didnt flee to south america then he is dead, and if he is dead then he is a spirit and no doubt he still hates jews so somewhere out there he has a negative spirit, probably still trying to do harm to jewish spirits and anyone he doesnt like. He isnt EVIL, there is no such thing, he is however negative.

Demons do not exist IMHO, there is no need for them, no place and to me the idea of demons/angels is the story of the human mind's need for a greater power.

Considering how he brought more harm to the Germanic people and their culture and heritage than even the Christian conversion, and that he was a sick and dishonoarable man that committed atrocious crimes against innocent people, I think the gods reserved a very special spot for him in Hvergelmir, a realm of Hel where the worst of men go. Since, according to the Lore, Baldr is safe from the destruction of the Universe because he resides in Hel's hall, then I can only assume that this means Hitler is safely (for us) shut away from this world as well and his spirit or 'energy' does not affect us, or our world in anyway. :mrgreen:

I disagree that our bodies are not us. The way we look has influenced our experiences and opinions and relations with other people, which most definitely forms and shapes and becomes the 'ethereal' us.

Topic? You aren't born a witch but you can be born with an interest in the spiritual. Like how I'm passionate about religion while others in my family are passionate about the Lousiana wetlands. :lol:
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

JBRaven, I read this, but I disagree.
gaiagirl97

Post by gaiagirl97 »

I have to agree with JBRaven and Ravencry, I believe most are born witches. I have a long line in my family on my Grandfather's side of the family, who was from Ireland. Also I believe that many people born with old souls, are likely to have been witches in previous incarnations.
WhiteOne

Post by WhiteOne »

I agree with Traumwandlerin in most respects. People become who they choose to become. However, I don't think JBRaven is suggesting that people are genetically witches. Traum's example of Christianity begs the question. If we are born into a Christian family, and made Christian, then why do some people end up changing religions? It could be suggested that they were born with a spirit who is aligned with a certain belief, and that no amount of Christian upbringing would persuade them to willingly become a devout Christian. However, I like the idea that the soul can evolve--which suggests we can become whatever we want to become. But then, where does this want come from? Is it inherent, and if so, are we born with it? Is everything pre-ordained, or is it constantly evolving into the unknown.
Riverwich

Post by Riverwich »

upbringing would persuade them to willingly become a devout Christian. However, I like the idea that the soul can evolve--which suggests we can become whatever we want to become. But then, where does this want come from? Is it inherent, and if so, are we born with it? Is everything pre-ordained, or is it constantly evolving into the unknown.
WhiteOne

Private message

I agree we evolve at this level and beyond, life is a series of lessons. We learn or we don't. What we don't/can't/refuse to learn, will get the task reintroduced in the next life. Until we get it right. And then become part of the light. . .

LOL means theres hope for me. . . Peace to all
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

Very few are born a Wiccan as this requires Wiccan parents who can communicate to the spirit coming to them and do the proper rituals for the child to come to this earth as Wiccan. Many are born witches, especially people who come from shamanic and magical cultures who have maintained integrity with their ancestors, such as people born in "voodoo" cultures and "native american" cultures. People who are not actually human, such as beings from other star systems, but who are born into human form through a type of technology are in a sense witches (there's a couple of those on this board lol). It is important to remember Clarke's Third Law when speaking of the technologies known as witchcraft: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Traumwandlerin is right in that witchcraft is mostly a matter of serious work. I add that the words Craft and Techonology mean the same thing. Look it up and check. Please don't believe me, we have enough believers already. To learn ancient, organic, and interdimentional (by interdimentional in this sentence I mean the ability to carry knowledge and wisdom from lifetime to lifetime) technologies requires serious effort but can be accessed by anyone with Will or intense spiritual commitment. Whether one is a real witch or not is granted by the originators/keepers of those technologies, which are the ancestors and deities of that Craft just as in academia it is the institution that grants doctorates and masters degrees to say that a person is a real physicist.
You are either for Life or against It. There is no in between.

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”