Picking up trash started me on the Shaman path

Helping Mother Earth, Recycling, Picking up Litter.
One Walker

Picking up trash started me on the Shaman path

Post by One Walker »

The place I first visited years ago is beautiful almost beyond description. Aside from that, I always felt a special connection to the place. The only problem was it was infested with trash tossed about everywhere. After a few visits I finally realized it troubled me enough to the point where I started bringing some plastic bags with me each trip and picking up that garbage.

It took 6 months but finally things got to where the only place you might find trash was in the parking lot or by the picnic areas. During the course of my search for trash I became interested once again in the stones I would see (I was a rock hound in my youth). Before long I realized I was finding some rather unusual stones. Then I began to find some awesome Mother-of-Pearl shells. Gradually I came to know it was The Elements thanking me for the effort I put forth.

Once I found out what these gifts were and the significant meanings they held I was awed and stunned. The gifts were far sweeter and more precious to me than any I'd received in many years. I've always felt I've received far more in Blessings from the Elements than any I gave through my actions or efforts.

I continue my trash pick-up practice to this day and every day I venture into those wilds I receive the most wonderful gifts imaginable-even if I find little trash to gather. :wink: I'm grateful to report that for some time now the Elements have seen me fit enough to where they deliver trash to within my reach from far underground and upriver. They know if they can get it to me, I'll have a bag to put it in. :D

One Walker.
We have seen what Power does.
We have seen what Power costs.

One is never equal to the other.
AutumnWitch

Post by AutumnWitch »

Ugh, does trash not infuriate you??? I swear, I work with the biggest female slobs on the face of this earth. Every single afternoon, when I go into the ladies' room, there are paper towels all over the floor and piling up over the wastebaskets. PEOPLE, is it that hard to put your trash in the designated basket. And if the basket is getting full, PLEASE push it down with your shoe so it doesn't fly all over the place!

:evil:

That is very awesome that you discovered something so beautiful in the midst of someone else's garbage, which you graciously took upon yourself to clean up.

Bless you!
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Post by WatchfulEyeTheButterfly »

That's inspiring One walker! :) I HATE seeing garbage in my yard or anywhere of nature. It's sad what people will just toss aside without thinking at all about how that affects the surroundings. My brothers know to pick up after themselves or be under my wrath. Still I have to pick up random trash other people throw. I wish people would realise what they are doing...
One Walker

Post by One Walker »

Thanks for the reply, guys! And yes, the seemingly never-ending supply of trash does sadden me, but, I know that sooner or later each person will come to realize the negative effect their littering is having; not only on the planet but on themselves. In the meantime, I'll just keep picking up after them!

One Walker. :D

Starwhisper

Post by Starwhisper »

That is wonderful, One Walker. I also work with shamanic energies; basically, if I'm out hiking or whatnot, I also want to take trash with me. It used to make me very angry, especially in areas where there was trash all over--I wanted to clean it all but feasibly could not! Now I have a balance: I'll take about three pieces. Oftentimes, this is all I see anyways. It is sad to see trash (and I do believe it is a desecration), but I feel like I am in a place that works, with taking a measured role and removing what I reasonably may at a given time. Every bit helps, eh?

There truly is holy ground all around us. Thank you very much for sharing!
One Walker

Post by One Walker »

Now if I could just get out to those trash pools in the ocean... :wink:

One Walker. :D

Aemilus

Re: Picking up trash started me on the Shaman path

Post by Aemilus »

Good job One Walker!
DollyDeVine

Post by DollyDeVine »

Cannot stand people who leave trash outside and use way to many plastic bags. Why can't we learn to reuse things...saves cash and planet
Indigo_Pheonix

Post by Indigo_Pheonix »

This is an old thread but wanted to comment anyway. I too pick up others trash. However I don't believe it all just lazyiness, animals and wind have a way of scattering trash too. So all you can do is pick up what you can and know you did something to make your part of the world a better place. I do a lot of fishing too, and see monofiliment(fishing line) discarded. It is harmful to birds and other wildlife if they get caught up in it, but, what most people don't realize is that you can take your old line and recycle it. Our state has a program that lets you set up recycling stations for this, and I am going to order mine. Its free, all you have to do is assemble it and go back and collect the line and send it to the department of conservation for recycling! Everyone should get invovled in their own communities Department of conservation, they always want to help!
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

(wow, it is old !)
Great job One Walker !
When I lived just below Bass Lake, Ca. my Mom and I
would go to the lake and take the dogs for a run. In
the winter time the water level is usually down.
We'd make an afternoon of it and pick up all the
broken glass. I miss those times with her :(
And now that I'm in the high desert, I couldn't believe
how much trash winds up in the desert ! Go a mile
down a dirt road past the houses and there's not many
places to look that don't have trash of some type...
I'd love to get out there and pick it up, my body
won't allow me to spend much time doing it. Let
alone carry the bags ! I'll figure it out :fairy:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “Environmentalism”