Questioning the signs

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ravencry

Questioning the signs

Post by Ravencry »

I think I may be meant to be a shaman, or medicine woman. I know the uses of herbs innately, I was born with Wolf by my side, I can speak with animals, and plants, for that manner. My great grandfather was the medicine man of a Navajo tribe in Arizona, but thats all I know of that side of my family. Is this my calling? Or am I just in tune with nature more so than others?

I know its also weird, but my boyfriend told me that my eyes gleam like an animals at night, what does that mean? I looked up a lot of stuff on it, and the only thing that is relevant for me is the skinwalker. I am a Navajo witch, but I never gave my soul to the devil, and any evil witchery.

And I heard that werewolf from twilight is a skinwalker. I have no desire to be something thats portrayed in some (sorry twilight fans) lame vampire movie.

Any opinions?
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

It sounds as if, by choice or not, you walk the path of the shaman. The connection to the Earth is in your blood and in your heart. Do you need a term to define what you are? Need you tell people you identify as a skinwalker? You are you. You will always be you. And a part of you will always be the Earth. Embrace it, and if you dislike the terminology, make up a new one. No two people are ever exactly the same anyways. I doubt Twilight had much of anything right about anything, so I understand your desire to not be connected with it.
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

I don't know how it is for Navajo, but with the Cherokee, it's by blood. It may not show up for a couple of generations, or if it does, it's not as strong, but it's always by blood and normally through the daughters. Could also be apart of why a lot of tribes associate what clan you're apart of in the tribe by your mother.

As for skinwalker, there's old native beliefs that wolves protected humans from all types of monsters and when the monsters retreated into the darkness and started to leave man kind, the wolves were rewarded and made human, to be along side the humans the protected and had grown to love so much. They were also given the gift to change back into a wolf incase the monsters ever came back out of the darkness.

From what I've read, the animal one is born close to or under is similar to one's zodiac, so I don't see what this has to do with anything:/ Though I will say I looked it up, and I got the Raven^_^
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Thank you all for the advice. I have been confused because I know none of my family, only what my grandparents choose to tell me. I was very fortunate to be told that yes, my father and grandfathers were both medicine men, and my mother a Witch since birth. I know that the ability to connect with the Earth is in my blood, but I've never known that this is the way of the Shaman. I am very naive when it comes to shamanism, so I thank you all for helping me realise what this calling was, and still is. I have felt it since I was a child and I wasn't able to identify it.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

There are many different forms of shamanism and different ways to be called.
The dominant thing that ties one to shamanism is the affinity for animals, a sense of "journeying" (to non physical places), and an ability to heal.
For me I can't heal the living worth anything, I can only harm them.
I heal the dead essentially but guiding spirits to whatever they choose in the afterlife. I also can calm spirits of someone who is dying.
I'm considering trying to heal animals, i'm not sure how well it will work though.

ANYWAY, it seems like your chosen through your heritage in this life.
Now you just need to find what path of shamanism is right for you!
It is all very personal.
haha

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”