Spanking as Discipline?

Discussion of raising your family in the pagan tradition.
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Neither am I.

I wonder who it could be.
Xal

Post by Xal »

Didn't realize a message board was a person.
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" - Carl Sagan
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

No... but a message board consists of many people... who have many different paths... only ONE of which is wiccan.
Xal

Post by Xal »

Never claimed that everyone here was Wiccan.
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

You suggested that somebody was on a spiritual board, coming from a Wiccan point of view stating that "might is right" - or words to that effect.

Which implies that somebody who uses force or might cannot possibly be a "spiritual" person (whatever 'spiritual' means).

Which of course is a load of rubbish, and I'm sure you're far too intelligent Xal to suggest such a thing.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

........... what he said.
Xal

Post by Xal »

Greymalkin wrote:You suggested that somebody was on a spiritual board, coming from a Wiccan point of view stating that "might is right" - or words to that effect.

Which implies that somebody who uses force or might cannot possibly be a "spiritual" person (whatever 'spiritual' means).

Which of course is a load of rubbish, and I'm sure you're far too intelligent Xal to suggest such a thing.
I said I found it funny that on a board that focuses on things of spiritual nature, especially a board that has a large wiccan perspective (which I may be wrong but seems to be prevalent on this board) that someone would believe that "might makes right."

I never said that the idea is unfathomable, but I find it to be silly and oxymoronic.

I guess it depends on what one defines as being "spiritual."
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Yes indeed it does.

And I for one will not "water down" my opinions just because a handful of people have some mis-guided notion of what pagan spirituality is.

All you have to do is think back to our pagan ancestors. I very much doubt they spent too much time worrying about karma or if their chakras were in good working order.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Xal wrote:I find it amusing to find someone on a message board related to spirituality, especially Wiccan beliefs, who is touting "Might makes right."
I believe this is directed at "someone" and not a message board as a whole.... and the people in this discussion who are "touting Might makes right" (which i disagree is the case) would be myself and Grey.... neither of which are wiccan.

I dont believe in the "love and light" crud that new agers and wiccans go on about... i learn from nature and as Grey said our ancestors and you dont see mother nature ONLY being about love & light.... she can be quite violent herself.

I dont see spanking as "violence"... its a light tap on the bum to more embarrass the child to deterr them from doing the same thing again... there will always be a debate about this issue and frankly i dont care if someone sees it as violent... i will be spanking my child if it misbehaves as i was when i was a child and in my personal opinion i turned out just fine.

Pix
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Point well made Pix.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Why spank you =D
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Ouch!

Now I'll grow up and use voilence to get what I want. Oooooh you're a tough cookie Twisted!
Xal

Post by Xal »

Greymalkin wrote:Yes indeed it does.

And I for one will not "water down" my opinions just because a handful of people have some mis-guided notion of what pagan spirituality is.

All you have to do is think back to our pagan ancestors. I very much doubt they spent too much time worrying about karma or if their chakras were in good working order.
Good, :) You should say what you believe.
Xal

Post by Xal »

Twisted_Pixie wrote:
Xal wrote:I find it amusing to find someone on a message board related to spirituality, especially Wiccan beliefs, who is touting "Might makes right."
I believe this is directed at "someone" and not a message board as a whole.... and the people in this discussion who are "touting Might makes right" (which i disagree is the case) would be myself and Grey.... neither of which are wiccan.

I dont believe in the "love and light" crud that new agers and wiccans go on about... i learn from nature and as Grey said our ancestors and you dont see mother nature ONLY being about love & light.... she can be quite violent herself.

I dont see spanking as "violence"... its a light tap on the bum to more embarrass the child to deterr them from doing the same thing again... there will always be a debate about this issue and frankly i dont care if someone sees it as violent... i will be spanking my child if it misbehaves as i was when i was a child and in my personal opinion i turned out just fine.

Pix
Of course the might comment was directed at Grey. You seem to be confusing that with the Wiccan comment.

Nature is not cruel. Cruel is a judgment based on perceptions of unknown things.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Xal....... the wiccan comment and the might comment were the same comment......... :shock:

Also, "cruelty" is a matter of opinion it would appear and yes nature can be extremely cruel... you just have to watch a cat play with a mouse and torture it before it eats it (if it chooses to eat it) to witness that

Return to “Pagan Family & Parenting”