Book of Shadows Easy Question

Start your own thread named "[Name's] Book of Shadows" and add spells, rituals, correspondences, music, videos, etc. that you would like to keep for future use or share with others. Use as many posts as you'd like. It's not private, but at least your family won't see it. You can also get ideas from other people's Books of Shadows.
Danek

Book of Shadows Easy Question

Post by Danek »

Hey everyone! I had a question about our BOS. I have a small one that I am scared to write in because I have horrid handwriting and I can't draw worth anything. I can't adjust the pages so what goes in is its permanent spot. My plan is to make my own BOS and use bolts so I can't adjust the pages, but what about my current BOS. Does anyone have good advice in getting stuff in the book? Maybe I should make my new one asap. I do really love this little BOS though.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-Danek
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Book of Shadows Easy Question

Post by Firebird »

Hey! Good to see you again :fairy:
Maybe you could type in cool fonts then cut around the words and glue them in? That will end up getting pretty thick, but you could decorate around the edges and personalize it some.
Or find a friend with good calligraphy skills to maybe help you out.
I'm always adding stuff so I still have a 3 ring note book, not very fancy.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think we all have the Blank Page Syndrome. We want it perfect. Well, we just aren't perfect creatures of Nature. Our book should be a reflection of ourselves. Therefore, any bloopers will be signs of character, tasks accomplished after strenuous effort, and lessons learned. Those antiqued, yellowed and torn-edged books got that way from use and activity. Spilled incense ash, tipped candles, pen blobs & inky finger prints provide testimony of their value. So get over it and get on with it :)

I've used copious quantities of White Out correction tape that comes in the press on spool applicator. When I wrote over it, I couldn't tell it was there. I have covered over whole paragraphs with a cut to fit piece of paper Glue-Sticked into place, and used craft boarder tape to hide the seams, and i once razor blade cut a page out that was really botched. I can't even find the gap now.

Big tip for drawing: use pencil then go over it in ink, and never double-stroke a line. It looks bad. White it Out then re-ink.

One thing I've found useful, and I've done assorted sized books, hand printing and illustrated with doodle-quality sketches, as well as cut&paste, has been to write text on the right-hand pages because that side lays flat, and draw or diagram on the left-hand page. Nothing moister than Glue Stick in moderation keeps pages from wrinkling and bleeding through, although ball point inks bleed after 10 or more years.

With smaller 4x6" books, I've written exclusively on the right hand page because it laid flat, and i went all the way through the book, then flipped the book upside down and went back the other way, continuing on. That let me write on both sides of the page, and when reading it the left side is upside down. And that's ok because it can only be read by flipping the book anyways. The few sketches were done within the text. Cut and paste will cause pages to spread if you use a lot of pics. Character!

To break the ice, plan the layout on a scratch pad of paper, plan to leave 2-3 blank pages per section for additions. In spell recording, leave a 1/2 page blank after each spell for follow up results comments and tweaking. The texts that don't change or aren't added to, like rules of conduct, magical laws, etc., can be put in front, leaving the recipes and spells, or the growing parts at the end for additions.The BOS is a working book, and record like lab notes. Cats will sleep on them, and occasionally chew corners just because they can.
Danek

Post by Danek »

Wow thank you guys. Ya'll are amazing! I've got some great ideas now. I'm also going to use some ideas from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdcnsZ60quk post it notes are a great idea to organize.

Thanks again! I'm excited!
-Danek
Danek

Post by Danek »

Shawn those are beautiful!! Thank you!!!!

-Danek

Return to “Member's Books of Shadows”