Box of Shadows

Start your own thread named "[Name's] Book of Shadows" and add spells, rituals, correspondences, music, videos, etc. that you would like to keep for future use or share with others. Use as many posts as you'd like. It's not private, but at least your family won't see it. You can also get ideas from other people's Books of Shadows.
XVIII

Box of Shadows

Post by XVIII »

Now I got enough courage to post this!
So here is the story of my Box of Shadows.

In the past years I have many times started collecting, writing my own Book of Shadows, but the pages always left blank. I love writing, but I didn't find the words to describe the divine feeling in my heart. I stopped trying, stopped pushing myself into something that wasn't made for me.

This box is a result of coincidences after coincidences, then I refused to believe in coincidences. The box was sold in a thrift store. I wasn't sure about it, but my high school mates were like "it looks like you, you can't leave it here!" and "you can put your school books there!" Well I never put there my school books, I graduated, moved away, box stayed with me empty, but it was beautiful, I couldn't throw it away.

"Mysteeri on se mikä jää kun kaikki salaisuudet on revitty auki."
"The mystery is to stay when all the secrets have been teared open"

This might sound funny, but I ordered an ouija board from ebay.com after meeting face to face one at my friend's place. Hers was big, wooden, beautiful, it attracted me, it magnetized me. Mine was probably made in China, made of chipboard, ...though the light material was way better when thinking of shipping costs from somewhere there to Europe, and the same way it attracted me and same way the power also scared me. But I had the empty box. I put it in to the box.

While suffering from bulimia, I forgot myself, all of who I was, my heart was full of hunger, there was only memory traces left of divinity. That would be a long story of slow progress that'll be never finished, so I tell only the essential. I tried to kill myself by overdoses. I was close to the edge of the rest, but I only visited there, I think The Life didn't want me there yet and then I had nothing to lose so I was able to open the box without fear. There was pure glow. Magnetizing feeling. Burning yearning to the edge I don't belong yet.

For me the ouija board is now a gate between different levels of realities. Originally my board was basic rectangle shaped one, there was the shining sun and the moon and some horoscope symbols that meant nothing to me so I took strong scissors and cut them away. Nothing to fear. Nowadays I decide myself what is holy to me.

This was the situation when I opened the box today to take these pictures. The box was full of tarot cards, at right side up my oldest and dearest cat tarot desk wrapped in lace. The lace wrapping was important because the rest of the box was a chaos: I had left The Winged Spirit desk shuffled under The Definitife Tarot book. Also some cards from Aya Takano's and Crowley's Toth desks among them somewhere. I didn't want the harmony of cat desk be drowned. Under the lavender and rose and green tea leaves were pages of two very different books: firstly two pages from an old story book. In the story of a lion and a mouse the lion saves the life of the mouse by not eating him/her. Then comes the night when the lion falls to a hunter's trap. The mouse hears his roars, remembers how he saved his/hers life and the so he/she comes and bites the strings saving the lion.

"Thank you, my dear mouse.
Now I understand how important is to be kind.
I will remember this lesson you gave me."

(P.S. Finnish has genderneutral third personal pronoun so I have no idea how to say if the mouse is he or she or is it just the mouse or it or what, I always feel so ridiculous when trying to translate things like these, so please I would be pleased if someone could show me how should it be done?)

Under the lavender and rose and tea leaves there are five pages from The Book of Mormon. I coincidentally found the book at railway station, I heard they leave these books randomly to be taken randomly. So why not plus the book had - and still has - that holy glow, I sense how it is blessed with love and care. It doesn't matter that their god is not mine, in the end we are all the same, I sense the same flavours divinity, just in different shade. So of course I took the book, it stands in my book shelf equal to my books about buddishm, wicca, tarot, it stands side by side with The Bible and with The Satanic Bible. Last night I just felt unexplanable urge to cut these five pages off and add them there. I made it by sense, I was tired, I was falling asleep and didn't have energy to read text. The meaning will be clear some day or then not.

There were also gemstones and other things in the beautiful chaos of my box. Randon coin from an unknown country, light pink button, 1g Panadol, piece of heart jewerly that originally belonged to my little sister, two border pieces of the ouija board.

The ouija board itself wasn't in the box this time, because I had been sleeping with it under the pillow. It is typical for me. I wrap it in laces to shut the communication part away, then I sleep in the empowering rest it gives me. My crystal ball is selenite. My hands were once shaking, it fell in two pieces. Mystery stayed anyway.

There's something ridiculous in this picture, really: two pieces of selenite and a bracelet hanging on the bed, I'm reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire using lace-wrapped ouija board as a bookmark.
"she's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire"
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Box of Shadows

Post by SnowCat »

Your box of Shadows is beautiful. It sounds like you have come through quite a trying time. As far as pronouns, masculine tends to be the default in English. I know from working with an Iranian born nurse years ago, that masculine is the only pronoun in Farsi. Please feel free to use whichever pronoun seems to fit your situation or post. The use of he/she and him/her is also fine.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Your Box of Shadows is inspired. I wonder if it isn't a more authentically traditional method of recording one's lessons and experiments than a written book. As children we all have had our treasure boxes stored under the bed with our personal, magical collections of "stuff". What a fantastic post topic: "What's In Your Box?!"

But THIS post belongs to you.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

How wonderful. Thank you for sharing these precious things with us.

XVIII

Post by XVIII »

Thank you for your cute comments SpiritTalker and Kassandra and thank you SnowCat for your sweet comment and answering to the pronoun question!

I have a tarot dream catcher project on my mind so next time I'll post about making it!

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Good. I'd like to see that.
XVIII

Post by XVIII »

Decorating was too much fun so the result is kinda... overflowing... Anyway I love it.

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

With the back lighting, it looks like the cards are falling from the sky. Nifty idea.
XVIII

Post by XVIII »

SpiritTalker wrote:With the back lighting, it looks like the cards are falling from the sky. Nifty idea.
Haha, thank you!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

That's pretty cool. Love ribbon and lace :fairy:
Do you do a crafting blog?
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
XVIII

Post by XVIII »

firebirdflys wrote:That's pretty cool. Love ribbon and lace :fairy:
Do you do a crafting blog?
Bb, Firebird
Super-late answer and thank you! <3
I don't do crafting often so I don't have a blog.
Deerstep

Post by Deerstep »

I used to be a Mormon. Still some fondness for the church, and I still feel a certain warmth from the churchouses and temples, but not as pronounced as the feeling I get from spending a night out under the stars with nothing but a blanket and a sweater. :)
And you're right; there is divinity there. Just a different flavor from ours.
Your Box of Shadows is absolutely stunning. I hope that more treasures are added in the future, Galaxy. :)
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll

Return to “Member's Books of Shadows”