Potato Soup With Garlic & Herbs

Share your recipes and food tips here.
Hazel Moon

Potato Soup With Garlic & Herbs

Post by Hazel Moon »

This is a recipe I came up with years ago. It's popular with family and friends, and when I share it on other forums, people really seem to like it. So I thought I'd post it here for everyone to enjoy.

Ingredients

- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- black pepper

The first thing I do is chop the onion and garlic then put it in a pot with some butter. Cook the garlic and onions on medium heat until the onions become translucent. Don't let them brown or it'll taste nasty.

Next, add three cups of chicken broth. I usually peel and slice the potatoes while the onions and garlic are cooking so I can just dump them in the pot at this point. Then add the thyme and pepper to taste. After that put the lid on the pot and let it simmer for about twenty minutes. You'll know it's ready when you poke the potatoes with a fork and they feel soft.

Next, pour the soup through a sieve set over a bowl. Return the liquid to the pot, transfer solids to a blender and puree with 3/4 cup milk added. Then pour the pureed mixture into the pot with the broth and you're done.

It's important to note that, when you're reheating any leftovers, heat the soup on medium temperature and keep stirring because this stuff has the tendency to stick and burn very easily. You can also add more thyme if you want. I tend to add a lot because I like a strong flavor.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Potato Soup With Garlic & Herbs

Post by Firebird »

Yummmmm!
I just recently tried to make potato soup and I was surprised how easy it was. Basically really thin mashed potatoes. I didn't use broth though only 2 percent milk, and mine was slightly chunky. (mom likes it that way)
Later (the next day) I make shepherd's pie and used the leftover for the topping.
Thanks for posting, :fairy: by the way which do you prefer for this, white potato or russets ?

BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

This sounds lovely, I should make it some time. ^__^
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
Hazel Moon

Post by Hazel Moon »

firebirdflys wrote: by the way which do you prefer for this, white potato or russets ?
White potatoes. More specifically the baking kind, because that way you only have to use a few. I found those work better and save time so you're not peeling five hundred little potatoes.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Yummy yummy, dense soups rock.

Try adding cumin.
I'd use cream instead of milk since milk requires some fermentation to be more friendly to digestion of human.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

One really should use some cream :D , I tried a bit of half and half with the 2%, it was good. Then I tried it with the lactose free milk, that worked well too. I also save a little of the potato water to add later if it was getting too thick. I let it simmer slowly for a hour on low careful to stir regularly.

Just scored me some nice potatoes!!, the store was a mad house and they were out of rice, potatoes and TP. and just about everything else and the lines went to the back of the store. So I went to the small Mexican market, got bag of rice, bag of potatoes, bag of carrots, bag of oranges and 4 of those individual wrapped T.P.s (Scott brand goes far!) No lines! though They were out of T.P by the time I left.
Don't have a sears catalogue to fall back on, LoL :lol: (you youngsters aren't going to get that one.)
This rainy weather is perfect potato soup weather, think I may add some leeks and go Vichyssoise style. (that was Dan's favorite)
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Food and Recipes”