Traditional Lefse/ Holiday Food

Share your recipes and food tips here.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Traditional Lefse/ Holiday Food

Post by Firebird »

This Winter Holiday time of year was always a food fest. Treats you wouldn't make or see at other times of the year are in full abundance everywhere you go. Cookies are usually present :D , after all, Santa Claus was going to need a few extra blasts of sugar to make all those magical stops!
But what about all the other traditional treats that were part of the Holy Days. What did you all grow up on? and what made the food part of your holiday special?

I have just finished the last piece of Lefse. smiley_dance boy was that good :mrgreen: . My grandmother used to make this traditional Norwegian food that she always served at Christmas. Another was fattigman, a real rich egg cookie (super yummy!) and spritz, frequently there were other foods like pickled herring and creamed cucumbers, potato dishes and lutefisk, which in my opinion is the worst smelling thing in the world and I never did try it.

Lefse is best served shortly after it comes off this giant iron griddle like pan. When it cools you spread butter on it then sprinkle granulated sugar on top and roll it up! (looks reminiscent of a taquito). Enjoyed with the rest of the meal, it was always present, even after g-ma passed away my Aunt started making it and sending to the relatives via over night mail. Love her for that, what a gift. It's no small endeavor. It feels like the holidays when it is served and to me that feels like a special link to all the ancestors.

Recently I have been looking up recipes, would like to pass this on to my daughter so the chain is not broken. Unfortunately my mother never did make it so I hadn't learned from her. The thing my mom passed on were the Spritz cookies and I was making those up until I went gluten free. (*note to self...look for alternative recipe for spritz)>>darn wheat cookies<<( may need to alter the lefse too as it contains wheat flour...but sometimes you just have to splurge!!!!)

So what is everyone's winter guilt free goodies?

BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Traditional Lefse/ Holiday Food

Post by SpiritTalker »

My family had no traditional holiday feasts & were more low key. As a cop, dad always worked the holidays. One memorable year we made pineapple pizza. It was a hit. Mom's real supremo effort was in summertime with her own special potato salad I've never had the likes of anywhere else.
And I've mentioned before my series of unfortunate pumpkin pie fiascos. I'd celebrate if one ever made to the table :)
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

We have so many traditional foods in the family.
Sadly I only had few of the recipes, many I learned by trying and adjusting.

What was always saved for the holidays exclusively was bread stuffing! I baked some g-free biscuits the ween before. They didn't turn out the way I wanted them but worked perfect in the stuffing.

My Oma used to make all these great great cookies I haven't found the perfect gluten free flour yet so I stuck to those using ground nuts and shredded coconut (they were actually too good to just bake them once a year. Mmmmh smileylove
BB

Blue Moon
moonlass

Post by moonlass »

I'm so happy to finally meet someone who knows about lefse! I love lefse. I'm still looking for a good, quick and easy recipe.
firebirdflys wrote:This Winter Holiday time of year was always a food fest. Treats you wouldn't make or see at other times of the year are in full abundance everywhere you go. Cookies are usually present :D , after all, Santa Claus was going to need a few extra blasts of sugar to make all those magical stops!
But what about all the other traditional treats that were part of the Holy Days. What did you all grow up on? and what made the food part of your holiday special?

I have just finished the last piece of Lefse. smiley_dance boy was that good :mrgreen: . My grandmother used to make this traditional Norwegian food that she always served at Christmas. Another was fattigman, a real rich egg cookie (super yummy!) and spritz, frequently there were other foods like pickled herring and creamed cucumbers, potato dishes and lutefisk, which in my opinion is the worst smelling thing in the world and I never did try it.

Lefse is best served shortly after it comes off this giant iron griddle like pan. When it cools you spread butter on it then sprinkle granulated sugar on top and roll it up! (looks reminiscent of a taquito). Enjoyed with the rest of the meal, it was always present, even after g-ma passed away my Aunt started making it and sending to the relatives via over night mail. Love her for that, what a gift. It's no small endeavor. It feels like the holidays when it is served and to me that feels like a special link to all the ancestors.

Recently I have been looking up recipes, would like to pass this on to my daughter so the chain is not broken. Unfortunately my mother never did make it so I hadn't learned from her. The thing my mom passed on were the Spritz cookies and I was making those up until I went gluten free. (*note to self...look for alternative recipe for spritz)>>darn wheat cookies<<( may need to alter the lefse too as it contains wheat flour...but sometimes you just have to splurge!!!!)

So what is everyone's winter guilt free goodies?

BB, Firebird
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

LOL! girl after my own heart. Unfortunately it is nether quick nor easy and you need that special pan :shock:
but defiantly bring it back here if you find one!
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
moonlass

Post by moonlass »

I did find a recipe once that used instant potato flakes. It eliminates the potato ricing process which isn't necessarily hard but tends to be tedious. Not the best lefse I've ever had but for a poor graduate student far from my homeland it did the trick. Also used a pancake grittle and a butter knife in place of the special pan and lefse stick. Maybe next time I'm home I'll invest the $5 to get myself a real stick.
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

The holidays are coming too :) I LOVE a cheese board with Chutney. I've just made a whole batch of Spiced Plum Chutney (19 jars of it!). Its full of magick too with Allspice, Cinnamon, Coriander, Chilli, Apple, Plums, Onions, Soft brown sugar, and white wine vinegar. It all bubbles away in a huge pan and I feel like a proper old time witch when I make it haha. My husband says I glow after I've made it haha.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.

Return to “Food and Recipes”