diabetic-friendly sabbat recipes?

Share your recipes and food tips here.
valerian moon

diabetic-friendly sabbat recipes?

Post by valerian moon »

okay, so as a type one diabetic, all the cakes and breads etc... does not bode well with my pancreatic... shortcomings. :(
i found a recipe for mead bread but it's got a whole cup of honey in it! how can i make sabbat recipes more diabetic friendly? (also, because my grandfather has type 2 diabetes, and so does my mom, although only my mom celebrates with me)
also also, "sugar free" honey still has a lot of sugar in it, i use sugar and carbs interchangeably, because some people don't understand that carbs are sugar, they turn into sugar, so what i'm looking for is basically low carb recipes.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: diabetic-friendly sabbat recipes?

Post by AdastraJunction »

Try some of the gluten free bread recipes. They are made with mostly flax or almond meal rather than flour, try using brown sugar instead of white or honey. If your diabetic you should really read up on what complex sugars are. My best mate in chicago, her husband is diabetic but in no need of medication because he is a cyclist (bikes almost 40 miles a day) so it keeps his blood sugar in check, though he can eat whatever he wants he still makes sure he eats less complex sugars replaced potatoes with sweet potatoes, things like that. If you are well regulated and workout some of those less complex sugars will have only a small effect.
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

Thanks [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

That's a really good question. Thank you for bringing it up. And thanks to Adastra for having an answer ready.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

xxmoonxraverxx wrote:how can i make sabbat recipes more diabetic friendly?
I'm wondering if you could use Xylitol. It is plant-derived, and I believe, diabetic-friendly. As to how much to substitute, perhaps you could find a diabetic cooking blog or forum that is informative. I learn a lot from those kinds of websites, where people post their trials and errors, which will save you a lot of time, money and frustration.

I'm sure you're not the only member here who would like info about making pagan treats more diabetic-friendly. If you find a good cooking site or two, let us know. :wink:

valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

I think splenda is baking appropriate but I also dont want to use butter... I'll think of something. Thanks everybody [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
springsgrace

Post by springsgrace »

These are all great suggestions but in the end you don't need cakes or bread for a sabbat feast- seasonal fruits and vegetables are also great and help you get in the spirit if you can't have baking. I wish you good luck!
| cerelia | oceania | eclectic wiccan |
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

springsgrace wrote:These are all great suggestions but in the end you don't need cakes or bread for a sabbat feast- seasonal fruits and vegetables are also great and help you get in the spirit if you can't have baking. I wish you good luck!
This is true but diabetics need to go light on most fruits they can cause huge glucose spikes due to their natural sugars.
RoseRed92

Post by RoseRed92 »

I'm type 1 as well! I think, for bread, it's nice to sweeten with seasonal fruits and berries, instead of sugars or sweeteners. Tastes nummy!
Using almond flour, lots of flax, blueberries, strawberries, even bananas... mmm now i want to bake! Spicing the bread with a little cinnamon might even help cover up the lack of sweet!

Return to “Food and Recipes”