Cakes and Ale?

Share your recipes and food tips here.
NocturnalCreativity

Cakes and Ale?

Post by NocturnalCreativity »

I see people mentioning something like "sharing cakes and ale" as the ending of a ritual. I've tried looking it up, but I didn't really get much information on it other than you share food with the Goddess. What exactly is it, and is there a way for an in-the-broom-closet witch to participate?
Sakura Blossom

Re: Cakes and Ale?

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I can't speak for everyone and I'm not sure what people you mean (if they are on the board or in books sharing rituals or so on haha ) but for me I know it's more so a thank you for your deity being there while you do your ritual and sort of like an offering Id that makes sense.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

In my coven, cakes and ale means cookies and fruit juice! We always end our meetings with some yummy snacks ; )
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

"Cakes and ale" has kind of become just the description of the sharing of food between conveners, rather than the actual food shared. The food doesn't have to be special, store bought will do just fine, but for anyone inclined toward homemade goodies some books on Wicca or Witchcraft do have recipe ideas. "Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft" by Raymond Buckland has several recipes near the end that include homemade wines and breads. Seasonal candy works too. :mrgreen:
dolphinpatronus

Post by dolphinpatronus »

I've used cookies & milk for "cakes & ale" in the past. To me it's always been more of an offering as a way to show gratitude. I'm sure there are some that don't even use food all the time.
Estee :)
Nikoma

Post by Nikoma »

For still being in the broom closet, just take a picnic meal into nature. At a park is fine, even your backyard. Thank the Gods and leave behind some of your bounty. Just remember not to leave trash. You are essentially giving something back to nature so it should be non-toxic and biodegradable.
nightstar

Post by nightstar »

Cakes and ale is the part of ritual where you give thanks to the god and goddess and as one of the books I have read said, "to take them into yourself" and help regenerate the energy that was sent out. Cunningham also states that the cakes and ale portion is to bring back one self back from the altered state. Some times a pinch of salt on the tongue can be used.
What it means and signifies is up to you and what works for you. I hope this helps.
Nightstar

***<3***<3****<3
"Change your thoughts and you can change your world" -Norman Vincent Peale

Return to “Food and Recipes”