Oatbread

Share your recipes and food tips here.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oatbread

Post by Xiao Rong »

I attended a medieval event a while back and a friend of mine made this recipe, which was THE MOST DELICIOUS BREAD I HAD EVER EATEN (no hyperbole!) so I picked up the recipe from her (don't know the original source). It's full of dried and fresh fruit, so that every bite you get a different blend of flavors ...

This Lammas, I made the recipe by myself. I failed the first time because my dry yeast expired in like 2011 ... oooops. But the second time turned out great! It is best when it's still warm after baking in the oven. My boyfriend and I devoured a loaf within minutes ... I saved the second loaf for a Lammas ritual with my coven (this one, by Wiccansage). Absolutely delicious! Great for ritual use, and just regular occasions. I'll try to post some pictures when I bake it again this weekend, per Mr. Xiao's request ...

OATBREAD

Makes 2 loaves

1.5 c. warm water
1 packet dry yeast
2 tbsp. honey
1.5 c. rolled oats
2.5-3 c. all-purpose flour, and more as needed (I needed more than 4 cups)
1 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 c. diced dates
1/3 c. dried apricots, diced
1/3 c. peeled, diced apple
Rolled oats for topping

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and honey. Allow the mixture to sit for around 5 minutes, until bubbly.

2. Add the oats, 1 c. of the flour, salt, butter to the yeasted water. Stir until completely mixed together, then add the fruits and work the mixture until they are evenly distributed throughout. Gradually add the rest of the flour until you have a cohesive mass of dough.

3. Flour a board, and turn the dough out on it. Adding flour as needed, knead the dough for around 8 minutes. If you poke it and it bounces back, it's done.

4. Place the dough in a greased gowl and cover it with a clean dish towel. Put it in a warm place until it has doubled in size. Then punch it down and divide it in half. Form the dough into 2 round loaves. Wet the top of each loaf with a little water, then sprinkle with rolled oats. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the top with an x shape.

5. Place the loaves on a baking sheet and allow them to sit, covered with a clean tea towel, for about 1 hour, or until they have doubled in size again.

6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

7. Bake the loaves for around 30 minutes, until golden brown. Ideally, you should allow the loaves to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Shub Niggurath

Re: Oatbread

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Wow, I love this recipe! Reminds me of the yeast-cake my grandma used to bake for us in the Summer. I'm totally going to try this when I visit my mother! :D
So you bake them on a flat baking sheet and they turn out okay? Do they stay in place? And when you say 400 degrees you mean Fahrenheit, right?
Sorry for all the questions but I really want to try it and I'm not sure if I understand everything right :>

I'm also curious if it would turn out okay if I used whole-wheat flour, hm.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Levitating Cat! Yes, I just put them on two different flat baking sheets and that seemed to do the trick. They tend to make large, round, flat-ish loaves. And yes, that's 400 degrees in Fahrenheit. I can't imagine that whole wheat flour, although it may turn out a little denser than if you use whole-wheat flour. (some sources online say you should substitute 3/4 c. whole wheat flour for every cup of all-purpose flour)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Thank you very much for the answer and the whole-wheat flour trick. I'll let you know how it turned out once I bake it :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Bumping 2020
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Dispite my gluten intolerance I think I will bake this for the Mabon season coming,
it sounds like a bountiful harvest loaf!
And I keep seeing it read as "oath-bread," (with my semi dyslexic eyes) but that gave me a thought!, .... it would also be perfect for cakes n' ale portion of ritual when dedicating your oath to this path. :fairy:
Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Food and Recipes”