Non-Magickal Recipes

Share your recipes and food tips here.
reikihealer83

Non-Magickal Recipes

Post by reikihealer83 »

Hi All,

This is a place to share non-magickal recipes that we all come up with in our kitchen. I asked Starwitch to put this on here and see how it goes. Soups, deserts, salads....it is all up for grabs. Have fun and enjoy each other's recipes.

Reikihealer83
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Deserts? Count me in lol.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Serendipity wrote:Deserts? Count me in lol.
I am the same way. I actually have a recipe for chicken soup.

Ingredients:

Water and Chicken Broth (Enough to fill a medium to large stock pot)
Carrots and other veggies
Roasted Chicken Carcass with meat still on it
Assorted herbs and Spices
A bit of the chicken grease from the roasting of the chicken

First, boil the chicken carcass for about 1.5 hours in the water and broth.

After that pull the leftover meat off the carcass and set aside.

Keep the carcass to as you may need it later. Add the veggies and if you like, some starchy veggie.

Add the herbs and bring to a boil again. Add the carcass again and add about 3 tablespoons of the grease to add flavor. Boil this for about 35 minutes. Test for seasoning and blandness. If still bland add about a 1/4 cup of beef broth and salt and pepper to taste. Let it keep warm and enjoy!
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

This sounds sooo good. I do this with my Thanksgiving turkey :D The results are amazing! Now I'm hungry....
illbehere

Re: Non-Magickal Recipes

Post by illbehere »

im not into keeping carcasses. they creep me out and i feel the need to hold a funeral LOL xD.
i do home economics so i can add some recipes :x heres a recipe. tell me if u want more xD.
Ginger Apple Tea Loaf:
You Need*
175g/6oz self raising flour
1/2 or 1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
50g/2oz brown/demerara suger
50g/2oz soft butter
2 eggs
2 tablespoons black treacle (yum xD)
1 apple thinly sliced
150ml/5fl oz milk.
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
a few dates stoned and chopped.

STEPS*.
1. preheat over to 180 degrees celcius / 350 degrees farenheit / gas 4 then grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin.

2. sift flour,spice,ginger into bowl. add sugar.

3. cut butter in. rub between your fingers till mixed in.

4. beat in eggs and treacle to make a smooth batter. add 2/3 of apple.

5. heat milk till boiling. stir into mix. add bicarbonite of soda. beat well.

6. pour evenly into tin. drop dates over top. finish with rest of apple slices. Bake 40 minutes to 1 hour or till skewer comes out clean. cool in tin.

optional icing to go over.

110g/4oz icing suger (seived)
10g/1/2 oz butter, melted
1 tablesoop lemon and a bit of rind
1 tablespoon milk or single cream

mix all of the incredients together and cover the top of the tealoaf evenly. make sure its cooked first. dont want it burning the icing(eww)

hope u njoy it <3
Amethyst_Stargazer

Post by Amethyst_Stargazer »

Here is my recipe for Pot Roast. You can use either beef, or a healthier option is grass-fed bison!

You need:

3-4 pound roast (chuck or whatever)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Rosemary (fresh is best, but dry is fine too if that's all you have on hand)
Sage
Salt and pepper to taste
Beef broth (one box does the trick) OR beef stock mixed with 2 cups of water
Carrots (baby or cut up large carrots)
Potatoes (any kind, pick your favorite...I find baby red bliss do well with this recipe!)
Celery
Parsnips (if you like them, but they're optional)
Onions (yellow or white...I prefer a sweet onion for this recipe)
Garlic (please use fresh cloves...seriously lol. The flavor is SO much better!)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Take a sharp knife and make small slits all the way through to the middle of the roast. I'd say maybe 9 slits spread throughout the surface of the roast. Take whole garlic cloves and push them into the slits, one for each hole. Salt and pepper the entire roast.

Heat 2tbsp. of olive oil in either a large skillet OR a dutch oven. When oil is heated, place roast inside and get a nice sear on both sides. This locks in the juices for when you put it in the oven and keeps your roast nice and tender and moist!

If you are using a skillet, pull the roast out and set it in a baking dish or pan. If using a dutch oven, leave it in. Sprinkle the Rosemary and Sage on top of the roast and then pour in your broth OR stock & water. If using a baking dish, cover tightly with aluminum foil (if a dutch oven, just put the cover on). Place in the oven for about 2 hours.

Meanwhile, cut up your veggies. If using baby red bliss or fingerling potatoes, no cutting is needed. Place them all in a large bowl and add 3 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, Rosemary, and Sage, and some chopped garlic. Toss with your hands until evenly coated.

After the 2 hours have passed, pull your pan from the oven and add in the veggies. Leave an opening in the foil when you put the pan back in the oven (if using a dutch oven, remove the lid and cover loosely with foil). Let it cook for approximately 30-45 minutes longer, or until veggies are tender.

Remove the pan from the oven. Pull out veggies and put them in a serving dish. Cover with foil and put back in the oven with the door open. Same goes for the roast. If you used a baking dish, pour the broth and herb mixture into a saucepan (if a dutch oven, just put the pan on the stove). Add flour or corn starch little by little until you reach the desired thickness.

Pour gravy over slices of roast when serving. This dish is best served with a loaf garlic and olive oil or rosemary crusty bread!
Willow Walker

Post by Willow Walker »

Crock Pot Beer Chicken (crepesofwrath.net)

Ingredients
1 3-4 pound chicken, cleaned and patted dry
3 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
6-8 small potatoes, halved
½ a large onion, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon mustard powder
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 12-ounce beer (I recommend something on the sweeter side, like a summer ale)
Instructions
Clean and halve your potatoes, chop your onion, and add both to your crock pot. Combine your salt, oregano, paprika, mustard powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the potatoes and onion, then sprinkle in half of your spice mixture. Toss to coat.
Clean your chicken and pat it dry (remember to remove any gizzards from the inside). Rub the chicken with the remaining spice mixture and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the chicken on top of all of the vegetables, then pour the beer around the chicken (not directly on top of it). Turn your crock pot on “high” for 4-5 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
Now, you can definitely go ahead and serve your chicken straight out of the pot, but if you have the time, turn your broiler on, place the chicken pieces and potatoes on a baking sheet (be careful pulling them out, as the chicken will be fall-apart tender at this point) and broil for 2-3 minutes or so, to crisp everything up just a bit and give it a nice color.

My family loves this recipe! I double the seasoning putting half on the chicken and half on the other stuff. I also add carrots to this as well. I have used regular spicy mustard because I don't have the mustard powder and it was good. I serve it right out of the crock pot. Love it!
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Could we make this thread into "what are you cooking today" thread?
Just simple everyday recipes that could serve us for days when we have no inspiration what to cook :)

So today I'm doing a very simple yet tasty sour white bean soup.

For 3-4 people:

250 grams (8.8 oz) white beans- I prefer dried over canned
2 small potatoes or one large
1-2 dl (half-cup/ cup) milk
for those who can tolerate 1-2dl of cream (12% fat or more)- may not be suitable if someone has digestive problems
(exact amount of milk and cream depends on how thick soup you like, how much beans and water you have in the pot and any dietary issues. Remember, cooking is an art and magic :fairy: )
1 teaspoon sugar
2 table spoons vinegar
1 table spoon butter
1 teaspoon flour
2 bay/laurel leaves
salt

Boil the beans for about 5 minutes the evening before cooking. Let them sit in warm water for couple of hours and boil them shortly (1-2min is enough) again before you go to sleep. This will speed up the process of cooking the next day :fairy:

Next day, drain the old water and cook the beans in salty water until they are half soft. Add diced potatoes and bay leaves. Cook until they are done.
In a separate small pot, thaw approx 1 table spoon of butter and add a teaspoon of flour. Stir and fry it for awhile, until it gets golden colour. Stir all the time!
Add it into the soup and just before the end, add the milk, cream, sugar and vinegar. Let it boil for a minute and the soup is done. :)

If someone likes it more sour, they can add more vinegar into their plate.
Hardcore carnivores can prepare this soup with several dices of smoked ham or sausage ::coolglasses::
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Non-Magickal Recipes

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I made this last night: Scalloped potatoes.

Peel and thinly slice 2 1/2 potatoes. Place potatoes, 2 cups half and half, chopped garlic cloves, salt pepper to taste, and a pinch of nutmeg. Bring to boil and let boil about 5 mins, stirring occasionally to keep half and half from burning. Remove from heat and add 1 cup sliced cheddar cheese. (Or cheese of your choice) stir until cheese is melted.

Meanwhile preheat oven to 350. Rub butter around inside of 8x8 casserole dish. Then sprinkle garlic powder along inside of bottom over butter. Add potato mixture to casserole dish, even out potatoes and bake for 1 hour. Easy and yummy! Longest part is peeling and slicing potatoes! Enjoy!

Rosie
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I braise cheap cuts of beef chuck roast in a Dutch oven, on the stove top....b'cuz that's how grandma did them. Brown it in a table spoon of olive oil, add 1/4 cup orange juice or water, and thick slices of a whole orange, peel and all, or liberally spread orange marmalade on top. Pop in some carrots whole, and put the lid on. Simmer 2 hours for a slicing roast, or 3 for a soft, cut-with-a-fork roast.

Orange is to beef as lemon is to chicken. Delicious.
Nerys

Post by Nerys »

Sunday Soup.

My olive oil bottle is near empty, in last half spoon fry medium onion until soft. Add fresh water to empty oil bottle shake and add oily water to make soup. Any leftover vegetables from past week go in it. Cut up into small pieces. Today was 1/2 zucchini, 1 medium tomato, last thin spring onion, onion, 1/4 sweet red bell pepper.
From yesterday's fresh groceries for the week 1 potato in cubes. ( S/O does the grocery shopping 1x each week as I am homebound due to health issues.) And from freezer 1 cup frozen mixed soup vegetables. Cook 19 minutes.

Return to “Food and Recipes”