Kids and Witchcraft

Discussion of raising your family in the pagan tradition.
AmethystRayne

Kids and Witchcraft

Post by AmethystRayne »

I'm really not sure how to go about this with my boys...they're 8 and the other will be 7. About a month ago my oldest noticed my collection and asked me if I was a witch. Since then he's been so overly enthusiastic about learning the craft, he talks about it constantly...even to other people and at school. The look on peoples faces when he says, "My moms a witch and she has a bunch of witchcraft stuff and she's teaching me how to do spells!"....they look so terrified!

I've been trying to get him to use the term Wicca, but it won't stick. So, out of a panic, I've resorted to what my mom did to me and said, "we don't talk about that stuff". I feel that's wrong, but at the same time I'm trying to protect him (and myself), especially considering we just moved into a city and there's a lot of church going people in our neighborhood. I think we moved into the Bible Belt of the city lol.

I haven't taught him any spells, but I've told him to make his own by meditating and saying his own words and focusing on what he wants. He used it to help him read, and he ended up reading like I've never heard him read before! I made my first altar last night, then both the kids insisted I help them make their own :) which they are very proud of! They've very serious about it!

So, it's definitely a very positive influence on my kids, but I'm not sure how to deal with everyone at their school and in the neighborhood knowing.

Any thoughts, or tips would be great!
Indigo_Pheonix

Re: Kids and Witchcraft

Post by Indigo_Pheonix »

I feel for you. At least they are your kids, and you have the right to teach them whatever religion you want. Of course people are going to talk, you just have to shield yourself and teach the boys how to as well.

I have two step-sons,(6,7), and they are beginning to read, and like to go in my room, where my books are, and also look at my alter, they dont know what it is, but think its pretty. One day they are going to ask, or say something to their mom, and Im going to have to explain myself.
The youngest one is the most imaginative, and curious about my dragon collection, crystals and statues.
AmethystRayne

Post by AmethystRayne »

Thanks Indigo Pheonix! I have no idea how he figured out I was doing (or more preparing) to do witchcraft. Just one of those things he easily picked up on I guess. I'm pretty sure he is an indigo child, so he's very into anything metaphysical and I've even attuned him to Reiki 1. He's been begging me for his own tarot deck since he was 5! Right now he's addicted to crystals and he's got himself a nice little collection going.

I think it's wonderful we can share something so positive that we're both passionate about and I wish he could express himself freely, but I'm afraid of how other kids and parents will react. I don't want him becoming an outcast or getting picked on.
River SilverWolf

Post by River SilverWolf »

I just read a chapter on this while waiting to pick my daughter up from school! (From the book The Goddess is in the details)
The author says: You might try explaining to them that this is a something special that is just for us, a secret that you guys only share. They also mention talking about some of the traditions in other cultures of worshiping both a God and Goddess (Greek mythology, Native American, Hindu, Egyptian culture etc).In this day and age it's a lot more acceptable especially 'going green' and talking about honoring mother earth etc. That helps it be less scary to those who don't understand.

I too have been wondering how to approach it with my kids. My youngest (5 yrs old) will randomly pull my necklace out from under my shirt at home. She likes to look at my 'pretty star' (otherwise i keep my pentacle under my shirt. I do have a few magazines and books within reach and sight for my oldest who is 8 years old but she hasn't really paid attention or asked any questions. (Magazines are Witches & Pagans, and Sage Woman). Anything they see of mine with a pentacle they just see as a star. If they ask questions i'll speak open and honest with them but I haven't brought it up directly.

My oldest has always been very earth conscious even as a small child. She hates when people liter, literally has hugged trees and has an amazing way with animals. I have seen a patience with her and animals that not many adults pull off! (she hand tamed and trained her parakeet in just a couple of weeks). The way she loves nature and animals has shown a deep respect for the planet and all around her. I have a feeling when she is older she might be interested in the path of a witch or pagan. My youngest is also good with cats and dogs. She has a gentleness about her with animals. She hasn't shown the same compassion for nature like my oldest did (and does) but we'll see!

Something that has been of interest to my older daughter has been the ghost investigations. I am a paranormal researcher and investigator. Numerous times she has wanted to join but most locations we can't risk the liability (or the owner doesn't) and plus she tends to get sleepy by 9pm! But they both have been fascinated by my equipment and always want to see my pictures and listen to audio i capture etc. (as well as watch paranormal shows with me. They prefer Haunted collector).My youngest when she was only a little over a year old began telling us how she was talking to her 'Uncle Mark'. SHe began giving us details and messages that were beyond her understanding and/or knowledge of my brother. (She was advanced with her speech when little. At 1 year she was at the speaking level of a 2 year old and advanced) It lasted for only a short while but was amazing.

Anyway that probably doesn't help much with advice AmethystRayne! LOL!
But you aren't alone! I live in the Bible Belt and worry about my kids who are horrible at keeping secrets! I wouldn't want them picked on or have issues with school or friends because of mommies beliefs. (I'm not exactly Out of the Broom Closet). Only a few select people know, my husband, best friend who is also a pagan, and my folks.

i have a feeling it's only a matter of time though! Both show many signs of interest in the nature path
AmethystRayne

Post by AmethystRayne »

Thanks River SilverWolf! I briefly brought up the Gods and Goddesses, but he didn't have much of an interest so I simplified it into saying we were going to be honoring Mother Nature. He was all for that! He's all about going on nature hikes and collecting things he finds in the woods now. As for not talking about it, I just told him that Wicca is a religion and it's not polite to talk about religion with others because everyone has different beliefs...it's ok that everyone has a different belief, but some don't like it when your beliefs are different. I'm trying to get him to at least call it Wicca instead of Witchcraft...Wicca doesn't sound as scary lol.

Yeah, my son came out and just asked me, "Mommy, are you a witch? It looks like you have witchcraft stuff." I think the cauldron gave it away lol. I knew my mom was a witch when I was that age, but I never had the guts to ask her about it, then ask her to teach it to me!

My son always points out litter bugs and if he sees someone litter he has no problem shouting loud about it to make sure they hear him say how bad it is. I always told the kids since they were little, "The Earth is our home, not our trash can, so it should be respected.". So, it's stuck with them well!

That's awesome she's so good with animals! I have boys and they're loud and bouncy so animals tend to keep their distance lol. My youngest is a huge animal lover though, and he loves flowers! He always picks me a flower when he sees one!

I've been on a ghost hunt before and would love to do it routinely! I try not to talk about that stuff though because it gives my youngest nightmares and then my oldest constantly thinks he's seeing ghosts...and then he tells everyone he sees spirits :/ He used to when he was little though, I'm sure of it....freaked me out. I knew there were several spirits in the house because they were always picking on us. I seriously thought I was losing my mind at one point it got so bad. He always saw "the tall man" in his room and "the tall man wanted me, mommy, daddy, and brother to go buh byes". There were 5 in the house that I know of....we just moved after 6 years, so thank goodness that's over with!
Magus caster

Post by Magus caster »

I'm a young Wiccan (12 to be exact) and a few weeks ago my brother said he wanted to be a wizard. He was taking it seriously but then I just snapped at him. I don't want my little brother to follow in my footsteps because he's going to talk to my mum about it and she's a big Christian. I haven't even said a thing to her about Wicca. What should I do?
Witches are their own alliance, their own life. They are their own breed and they are their own species. We are different from the modern man and are more in tune with the spiritual side of life.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

The two resources for kids that I can think of off hand are Spiral Scouts http://www.spiralscouts.org/ and Pooka Pages http://www.pookapages.com/. Googling the words "Pagan Children" or "Wiccan Children" seems to give a pretty helpful start in finding resources for children.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

I understand completely. My daughters are 12 and 7 and I am just now teaching them about Wicca, Paganism, the craft etc. They both love my stones, candles and incense's. I have taught them what they are all for and have educated them that the world can be ugly when it comes to this stuff and they do not "brag", every child is different though. I think you did the right thing about telling him to not talk about it. That will help shield him from the bad things other kids and adults may say or do. I am proud of my religion but certain people never understand so they backlash. There are many children oriented books and websites out there. I encourage you to look and read them with your kids to help in their growth. Blessed Be.
AmethystRayne

Post by AmethystRayne »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:The two resources for kids that I can think of off hand are Spiral Scouts http://www.spiralscouts.org/ and Pooka Pages http://www.pookapages.com/. Googling the words "Pagan Children" or "Wiccan Children" seems to give a pretty helpful start in finding resources for children.
Thanks, I'll definitely be checking those out! I came across Pooka Pages a few days ago but then I couldn't remember the name to find it again lol but I haven't heard of Spiral Scouts!
AmethystRayne

Post by AmethystRayne »

Lillady wrote:I understand completely. My daughters are 12 and 7 and I am just now teaching them about Wicca, Paganism, the craft etc. They both love my stones, candles and incense's. I have taught them what they are all for and have educated them that the world can be ugly when it comes to this stuff and they do not "brag", every child is different though. I think you did the right thing about telling him to not talk about it. That will help shield him from the bad things other kids and adults may say or do. I am proud of my religion but certain people never understand so they backlash. There are many children oriented books and websites out there. I encourage you to look and read them with your kids to help in their growth. Blessed Be.
I took the kids to the library today for a craft and while looking in the kids section I actually found a few books for them! One was the Kids Everything Guide to Witches and Wizards Book. It's actually not too bad (from what I could tell at a quick glance) and I'll probably get some good info myself! I have quite a few Wicca and Witchcraft books, but one of my faves is a Wicca for Teens book because it's so much easier to understand, straight to the point, and keeps it fun.

So, I'm looking forward to reading this with him :)
River SilverWolf

Post by River SilverWolf »

AmethystRayne wrote:
Echo_of_shadows wrote:The two resources for kids that I can think of off hand are Spiral Scouts http://www.spiralscouts.org/ and Pooka Pages http://www.pookapages.com/. Googling the words "Pagan Children" or "Wiccan Children" seems to give a pretty helpful start in finding resources for children.
Thanks, I'll definitely be checking those out! I came across Pooka Pages a few days ago but then I couldn't remember the name to find it again lol but I haven't heard of Spiral Scouts!
Oh yeah! forgot about The Spiral Scouts! I just learned about them at the DFW Pagan Pride Day we had in October.
That would be great for the kiddos! :mrgreen:
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

That is awesome Amethyst! I am sure he will enjoy the books :)
AmethystRayne

Post by AmethystRayne »

Lillady wrote:That is awesome Amethyst! I am sure he will enjoy the books :)
We read a little bit of tonight, and he wants the book for Christmas lol. It really brings everything down to a child's level! Like how to make a wand, a book of magic, color, food, and herb correspondences, and other little easy and fun spells kids can do. Were both enjoying it so far :)
Magus caster

Post by Magus caster »

I can't keep Wicca from my mother any longer. Do any of you have any advice on what I should do? Please help me.
Witches are their own alliance, their own life. They are their own breed and they are their own species. We are different from the modern man and are more in tune with the spiritual side of life.
AmethystRayne

Post by AmethystRayne »

Magus caster wrote:I can't keep Wicca from my mother any longer. Do any of you have any advice on what I should do? Please help me.
I'm sorry Magus, but I'm not sure what advice to give you. Maybe you could explain to her how similar Wicca is with Christianity. If it's the 'magic' part of it she's concerned about, to make it easier to understand, I just say that it's a more focused way of using the law of attraction to help bring more positivity into your life. If she doesn't know what the law of attraction is, have her watch "The Secret", which you can find on Netflix if you have it.

Maybe it might be a good idea to do some homework yourself...print up some information that explains what Wicca is and what it's not and how beneficial it is. Also, you could write her a letter explaining what Wicca means to you, how it's helped you (like if it's helped you with school, friends, family, get more in touch with nature, be more conscious of your actions, etc.), and why it's so important to you.

Those are just some ideas, I hope it helps!

Return to “Pagan Family & Parenting”