Petition to make Handfastings Official

Discussion of raising your family in the pagan tradition.
Tylluan

Petition to make Handfastings Official

Post by Tylluan »

Hi all

I'm getting married in 2014 and though its ages away I'm a bit muffed that I can't have the wedding of my choice due to the fact that the UK government doesn't recognise a Pagan Handfasting as an official wedding. This means I'm going to have the expense of two weddings, one in some mundane Registry office and another for the handfasting.

There is a petition at the moment to get this changed, and I hoped some of you here would sign it. The government recognises Paganism as an official Religion now so I can't see how they can say the religion is official but a Wedding isn't! grrrr

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.g ... ions/11647

Thank you in advance

xx
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Petition to make Handfastings Official

Post by Firebird »

You need some one who is official clergy, in a Pagan church recognized by the government. (like a non-profit) If they accept it as religion then, ya... I do not understand why a Pagan minister cannot officiate and sign the marriage license, ( and just call it a Handfasting!) Good Luck... BB Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
flowersofthelady

Re: Petition to make Handfastings Official

Post by flowersofthelady »

I didnt know they recognised paganism as an official religion here now, that is good newq. i do know that hindu's also have to get married in a civil service as well as their own ceremony.

We had a handfasting and a registry office but i didnt mind. the office wasnt too expensive and it was over in a matter of mins, its all about the paperwork really.

i do think it would be wonderful if we could have just done the handfasting.

a possible way round it is that some venues have a licence or something so you can get married there. If you could find a nice enough place maybe you could get someone to come do the legal one and have your handfasting at the same time/after? just a thought.

good luck with your wedding!

Return to “Pagan Family & Parenting”