Spanking as Discipline?

Discussion of raising your family in the pagan tradition.
Greek_Male_Witch

well..

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

My mother used to and still does to hit my arm but in a way that never hurted me in a physical way,although I do believe kids must learn whats good and whats right,without spanking,not that I even got spanked,in fact I was pretty spoiled but I learned how to be a good person by talking...
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Xal

Post by Xal »

ellis wrote:That's what I alluded to before,Greymalkin,you all do indeed deeply resent being smacked and your posts here are textbook Freudian.It's obvious, writtten down and here in your own words.

Irony at it's best.The hypocrisy is astounding,nonetheless.Clique mentality at it's finest.When you had nothing constructive left to add here, you all resorted to attacks on the poster who disagreed with you.Tea indeed.How silly,attempting argument by intimidation is not becoming of adults,it is a game of sulky children.Is this a playground?

I don't need your luck for my opinion,but er....thanks for offering Pixie.Strange one that.
It's interesting, when one, wonders why the people around them are not people merely characters, following scripts in badly written sitcoms.
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" - Carl Sagan
Xal

Post by Xal »

Greymalkin wrote:I was talking about you actually ellis.

I agree with you, spanking teaching does teach them to use violence as a way of control. That's fine.
Parents should be in total control of their children at all times - especially in public.
And if they have to use violence to gain that control, so be it.

Where's the problem?
Where's the problem in teaching children to use violence as a means of control? Really? Really?

I believe I read that you took up your practices in order to regain control in your life. Why didn't you just buy a gun?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

ellis wrote:
I don't need your luck for my opinion,but er....thanks for offering Pixie.Strange one that.
Yes, i always have been a strange one, a quality i am quite fond of actually =D Thank you
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Xal wrote: Why didn't you just buy a gun?
Because you can't legally own one here in the UK. Otherwise I would.
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

hi :)

in canada we're allowed to have guns, my dad owns a gun it's a glock 40 with 13 clip extion. I just ask what's that or whats this. i love to learn things. he took me out once in the bush told me how to fire one. i was pretty scared about shooting someone. but the glock has a nasty recol. i missed the popcan lol :lol: my dad came from a military family, everone in the family exept my grand ma was in the army.

my mom and dad did use spanking as a means of control and punishment. i don't believe in hitting ur kids to me that's like abuse. I won't spoil my babies though. i think they should work towards those rewards. :)

hugs

blessed be :D
Xal

Post by Xal »

Greymalkin wrote:
Xal wrote: Why didn't you just buy a gun?
Because you can't legally own one here in the UK. Otherwise I would.
Are you saying you're submitting to them and allowing the UK government to control you?
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Well, the government of any country controls that country's people, and you're a fool if you think otherwise.

Actually, I probably wouldn't have a gun to be honest. I don't really feel any need to own one, apart from the fact of just having one for the sake of having it. I feel quite safe most of the time.

History has shown us over and over again that the only way to power and control is violence.
It's human nature.
Xal

Post by Xal »

Greymalkin wrote:Well, the government of any country controls that country's people, and you're a fool if you think otherwise.

Actually, I probably wouldn't have a gun to be honest. I don't really feel any need to own one, apart from the fact of just having one for the sake of having it. I feel quite safe most of the time.

History has shown us over and over again that the only way to power and control is violence.
It's human nature.
No, people control the government, they just like to forget that sometimes so they can shift the responsibility away from themselves.

I guess we are forgetting about people like Gandhi and MLK?

The need for power and control stems from insecurity and fear. All these things are merely illusions in this theatrical production that many of us play.
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

Randomly somewhat related: Ghandi wrote in his autobiography that "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

So, while believing in peace, Ghandi also believed in the power brought by weapons. I believe it makes a very interesting dichotomy.
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

I do find it amusing how the same tired names seem to come up again and again whenever a conversation turns to one of great peacemakers.

Ghandi is always a sure-fire favourite.

Nelson Mandela is another one who is often honoured as a great man of our time.
Lest we forget he was put into prison for being a terrorist.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

lol *lays back and enjoys the debate*
Xal

Post by Xal »

I find it amusing to find someone on a message board related to spirituality, especially Wiccan beliefs, who is touting "Might makes right."
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Who might that be?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

*looks around*... who is that? I'm not wiccan

Return to “Pagan Family & Parenting”