So, If you get baptized, you can't go back?

Talk about anything you want to here.
Karma Haruka

So, If you get baptized, you can't go back?

Post by Karma Haruka »

Alrighty, so this question arose today when I was talking with one of my buddies.

We were sitting in our class pretty much talking about witchcraft. You see, recently my friend has gotten into witchcraft and she loves it and feels it is right for her. However her parents aren't too supportive of her. Her mother and father believe it is only OK to study witchcraft, not practice it. Yesterday she had a fight with her parents, and her dad was yelling at her, telling her that seeing how she got baptized when she was a baby, she technically "admitted" being a Christian (which is weird seeing how babies don't talk). She told me she's very dissapointed, and she's been depressed this whole day.

I personally have no idea what to tell her to make her feel better. Hopefully one of you has some advice for her, or for her parents.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I don't know exactly how to put it for your friend, but I was baptized when I was a baby, and I am sure not Christian.

When a child is born to Christian parents they have it baptized for.... whatever reasons the church gives (can't say I remember at this moment). It's a part of the parents' faith and love and hope that they are saving their child from sin. It is a petition to the Christian God by the parents on behalf of the infant for protection and acceptance into heaven.

Now fast forward to later. The child is grown up now, perhaps an adult, perhaps still a teen, but either way quite capable of making her own informed decisions. At this point the child knows what they believe and has probably been asking questions about their faith. If at this point the child finds that they no longer walk (or never have!) the path of her parents then it is her choice and responsibility to find the path that is right for her. Baptism isn't an issue anymore because the Goddess/God/deities that she turns to will know what's going on in her heart and will accept her for who she is, will protect her with their love and will accept her into their 'heaven'.

I hope this helps. She has nothing to worry about.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Oh and one more thing...
...seeing how she got baptized when she was a baby, she technically "admitted" being a Christian...
When people say things like that then it sure doesn't make it sound like being a Christian is a good thing!
Karma Haruka

Post by Karma Haruka »

Yeah, I know. When my friend told me that it sounded a lot like being BOUND to the religion. One thing I value most is freedom, and I get PO'd when people try to bound me by things I don't believe. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I think that'll cheer her up.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

No problem :) I hope it works out!
[ForestWitch]

Post by [ForestWitch] »

I don't know of any tradition in which infant baptism commits a person to life-long Christianity. Baptism means different things to different denominations, though. For instance, Catholics believe that baptism is a requirement for salvation and admittance to heaven where Presbyterians believe that baptism is a promise, made by the parents and the congregation, to teach the child about Christianity, but they don't believe that baptism "saves." Most Christian traditions have another ceremony when the child is older affirming their decision to be Christian. However, those usually aren't considered to "bind" a person to Christianity.

There are some traditions where infant baptism isn't practiced and baptism doesn't happen until a person is a teen or adult. I think some of those traditions consider baptism to be a life-long commitment to Christianity and to that denomination of Christianity.
[Enlightenment]

Post by [Enlightenment] »

Just because a child is Baptised at birth doesn't mean they cannot change their religion when they get older. Like you said, babies can't talk so it's not really fair anyway IMO.
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

ok heres my view, baptism is a magical contract. and for any kind of contract a person has to sign it willingly whether it's actually signing or like a baptism it has to be done by the person in question, and generally such things cannot be done when in baby clothes!

so basically if a person is baptised at birth in my view its void. lol
Baratoz

Post by Baratoz »

Baptism as a child does not make you a Christian any more than a wiccaning makes you a Wiccan. Both are the parents presenting their child before their god(s) for protection.

It also sounds like her parents are quite upset about her path. Unless she is planning on not going to college and moving out when she turns 18, I would tone it down in front of the parents and not have a pagan pride celebration in their living room. Assuming she is 17 like you, she has plenty of time to practice her faith once she is on her own.
Only through silence can we truly hear the words of the Goddess and God.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

It sounds to me like her parents are desparate to keep her in Christianity. Like the others said already, I've never heard any Christian faith state that baptism is technically admitting to being Christian if you were just an infant at the time.

When I was growing up, I was taught that baptism was a final step to your conversion to Christianity... Steps being believe first (duh), then repent of past sins, then make open confession to belief in Christ, and then baptism as a "washing away" of past sins to walk in the new life... a symbolic burial/washing away of your past. (In this Christian faith, it was total immersion versus sprinkling for this "burial" reason.)

In any case, I have seen this as well, over and over and over again no matter which sort of Christian I am addressing, that it is about Free Will. God does not mess with free will. Even Hollywood was able to "get it" when they made the comedy "Bruce Almighty."

While I no longer follow my parents' particular brand of faith, ther has been plenty of good in it that I have kept or at least tried to keep, but I was only ten when I was baptized. A lot has changed since then.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
[EarthWitch]

baptism

Post by [EarthWitch] »

I was baptized when I was 13 years old. I am now a Witch. I did not have the opportunity as I was growing up to experience any other religions other than the one that my parents taught me. I was not given the freedom to explore what was right for me. Being baptized does not mean that I cannot change my religious preference. I believe in christianity, just not the way I was brought up...I hope that makes sense....
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Some of my friends actually did spell breaking on their baptisms and did a dedication to the Gods at the same time. So if your friend feels unfairly bound by her parent's spiritual binding, that IS an option. However, she probably doesn't want to tell this to her parents.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: So, If you get baptized, you can't go back?

Post by SpiritTalker »

IMO don’t worry about going back - just add on instead. It’s more interesting & informative. There’s no reason to think of faith as one size fits all and I’m convinced the Creator of the Multi-verse doesn’t expect it since “a creator” is the root of all that is. Interpretation is man-kind made and we know what nincompoops they can be.😉
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

If I was circumcised as a baby to Jewish parents does that mean I have to adhere to the Jewish faith?

Did I make a choice in faith?

Two words: absolute bunkum.

Belief is a personal choice, faith is a gift - despite what all the sham gurus and mealy-mouthed, holier then thou, peddlers of faith may profess.

Childhood baptism doesn't purchase souls.
Mr Crowley
Banned Member

Post by Mr Crowley »

“Belief is a personal choice”
So why can't I believe?
I have tried so hard that, at one time, I even pretended to believe.
So how does this make it my personal choice when I cannot make this my personal choice?

“faith is a gift”
I know it's a gift.
Since you have more answers than I do,
why have I been excluded from this 'gift'?

The only unknown in which I can believe: magic.

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”