Roleplaying and such?

Talk about anything you want to here.
narveya

Roleplaying and such?

Post by narveya »

Hey all! Guess, I've been posting too much.

Anyway, what's your opinion on roleplay? Especially, mythology roleplay where you portray a certain god/goddess. As for myself, I like to roleplay when I had writer's block. I love to write and it frustrates me when I have nothing to write, so roleplay kinda helps. and I feel slightly interested in mythology rp. Some part of me thought it might offend the deities but another part of me think it's like a form of praising and honoring. Some roleplayers might also mistaken as fluff bunnies from what I read.

Thanks and I appreciate all of your opinions!
I sing and listen to the hymn of the light.
Solitary, Secular Witch • Science-Techno Witchery • Graeco-Roman leanings • Devotee of Apollo
Vesca

Re: Roleplaying and such?

Post by Vesca »

No such thing as posting too much. :)

I've heard other writers use roleplaying as a way of getting into the mind of their character(s) to make the story flow more naturally. Not sure what my thoughts are yet regarding roleplaying as a deity so I guess I'll just bow out and see what other members think.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have very little knowledge of those who do this...as far as I know it is all fun and games.

In my trad, we do a working called Aspecting. Where you assume a Godform, it is not however to be taken lightly or in fun, it is serious magical work that requires an outrider to guard the grounds and an assistant to bring you back. This kind of work is generally for well seasoned practitioner.

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
random417

Post by random417 »

I'd say that there's 2 ways to assume a godform. Either by taking on the aspect of that godform, probably in very similar ways to what Firebird is talking about. I've done some work with this, and she's right, it's very serious work... Protect your space and make sure you can get back. I wouldn't do it without asset least one other person around.

The other thing though is the assumption of a "mask" which is probably closer to the rp. It's filtering things through what you understand the deity but without the assumption of the um... Energy matrix of that godform. I'd suggest not doing something like that without a firm understanding of yourself, and the risk of identifying too strongly with your mask is still there, but it's a different kind of thing. Works great for helping you to grow aspects ofyourself that your godform embodies. I wouldn't take this lightly either, as it's tinkering with your psychological makeup, but it is different
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I do roleplays involving deities all the time, and even the fae. I've often wondered if they find it insulting but I just think of it as my way of honoring them and stressing that if I do an RP involving them, it's strictly based off of mythology and not them, themselves. However, whenever an RP is done that involves Loki..... Arrogance rises and someone quite enjoys them. Haha.

That's just my personal experience and feelings on it.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
narveya

Post by narveya »

Oh wow! Thanks for all the replies, that really clear things up for me!
I guess it really depends on how we view the roleplay and always keep respect in mind haha. Now, I view the RP as honoring the deity, also to understand the deity deeper through tons of research.
I'm kinda curious with the Godform and Aspecting, tho I'm still not good enough to do it.
I sing and listen to the hymn of the light.
Solitary, Secular Witch • Science-Techno Witchery • Graeco-Roman leanings • Devotee of Apollo

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”