Witchcraft Handicap

Talk about anything you want to here.
black dove

Witchcraft Handicap

Post by black dove »

Does anybody have any ideas for celebrating the sabbats/esbats, for someone that doesn't exactly have the supplies or freedom to celebrate them in the traditional fashion. As I've stated in other posts I live in a Christian home, my mother is pretty familiar with wicca (Ex "Wiccan"), and she does not approve of my spiritual path. In other words, I like an altar (yeah... I know... :? ) and any supplies at all. I simply lack the finances to buy them--not to mention the fact that there is no where to really hide them.

Also, i'm going to be going to college soon...about an hour from New Orleans, so if i can't find any supplies there, I'll just take a trip down to a voodoo or general witchcraft shop and stock up. :wink: Positive things with college: Easy access to supplies and freedom from parents. Negative: SMALL room (about 10'x10') so where would I hide my supplies, let alone my altar... On top of that what would my roommates reaction be? After all This is the "Dirty south" aka "Bible belt".

I guess this isn't JUST directed at holy days, but at witchcraft in general. I still don't think I'm even ready to cast a circle yet... I'm STILL working at perfecting focusing my energy. I think it would really encourage me to really push for progress though if I just had that freedom to actually practice my beliefs rather than dealing with meditation and focusing MY spiritual energy.

Anyway, I know I'm just rambling on, but well... I'll shut up... Just help me please XD ... okay time to go blue_flee
Just looking for the answers to life.
)O( Blessed be
JBRaven
Banned Member

Re: Witchcraft Handicap

Post by JBRaven »

Use everyday material. A cup can be found in the kitchen, your can use a pillow case for your alter cloth, Grab a few rocks to make the directions, use a twig as a wand. Instead of burning your spells charms and such take them outside and bury them. Do you have a window? the wand can be placed outside, pillow case can go on your pillow, cup back into the dish washer, rocks can be put to line your night table. You can do it. As for your soon to be room mates. Screw them. You are an adult what are they gonna do? Not be your friend?
Ula

Post by Ula »

I have a young son with autism so I made an alter that is a box. The lid opens and I can lock it. I take my altar down after every use. You could use salt or a rock to represent Earth on your altar instead of a pentagram too.
black dove

Post by black dove »

Thanks. This makes things a lot easier. I'll probably go by that... And I suppose if I wanted to go with an athame instead of a wand, I could just use a knife... right? And the roommate thing is to do with college, and anyone that has gone to college would know how difficult it is to get your dorm changed. Its not that I'm afraid that they won't be my friend, but I prefer to keep my beliefs relatively secretive. I mean, it's no bodies business what I believe in (as long as I don't believe in anything harmful, lol). I also really don't want my roommate going around saying that I'm a satanist or witch or something. I'm majoring in Mass Communications and if everybody thinks I worship satan (which Christians basically believe we worship) then communicating to the masses will be very difficult. lol
)O( Blessed be
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

Apples, sounds silly I know but bare with me. If you cut an apple diagonally you get the female form where the seeds are, if you cut it horizontally you get a star shape, the apple is sacred to the goddess, it represents the earth and is sacred to beltaine, samhain and Yule. I use apples alot, like collect the seeds as offering to the mother, or you can bless them on imbolc and plant them on Ostara (If those were the dates, might be mistaken). Anyway they are great for just about anything. You can bake an apple pie and chant while mixing the batter to charge it and serve it on one of the mentioned sabbats. Nobody will be the wiser for it and who'se gonna say no to pie?

Bless :)
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Ula

Post by Ula »

black dove wrote:And I suppose if I wanted to go with an athame instead of a wand, I could just use a knife... right?
I have never felt drawn to use a wand and don't have any. I just use an athame.
black dove

Post by black dove »

Hahaha. Yeah, I read about that. My first spell, which I never got the chance to do, was going to have something to do with apples and burying them near a stream. Its on this site somewhere. I really want to get a hold of some mistletoe. Easy to keep that out without question around Yule, hahaha. It is less to do with wicca and more to do with heritage. I agree with the philosophy in Asatru (or atleast on this asatru site http://www.asatru.org/) that our Mind, spirit, and body are all similar to that of our ancestors, therefore making it easier to get in touch with the deities of your ancestors and their spiritual fortes. Since I am Irish--and mostly other Northern European--I find it MUCH easier to connect with my Celtic heritage and their primary religion--Druidism. So yeah, I just want it as a symbol of the goddess, because it is sacred to Frigga... If I am read correctly... either way I know it is one of the most sacred plants in paganism. I have a bad habit of getting off topic :|

@Ula: I agree. I have never been even tempted to use a wand. I just don't feel like its meant for me. As for the Athame, it just feels right. I just prefer the Censer, Goblet (glass), Athame, and salt basic set up... Not saying that I dislike the other, but a wand just makes me feel like I'm trying to be Harry Potter, lol. And quite honestly, I haven't seen many of the movies and haven't read any of the books. There goes the off topicness again ::darkmood::
)O( Blessed be
Ula

Post by Ula »

black dove wrote:@Ula: I agree. I have never been even tempted to use a wand. I just don't feel like its meant for me. As for the Athame, it just feels right. I just prefer the Censer, Goblet (glass), Athame, and salt basic set up... Not saying that I dislike the other, but a wand just makes me feel like I'm trying to be Harry Potter, lol. And quite honestly, I haven't seen many of the movies and haven't read any of the books. There goes the off topicness again ::darkmood::
I kinda of agree with this. I think the wand has been ruined for me at this point. I do want a stang though.
13Lotuses

Post by 13Lotuses »

This may sound stupid, but for an Athame, you could try a butter knife (provided that the handle is black). After all, the Athame is blunt (as it is not used for cutting on the physical plane).
Growing from mud, although challenging, offers great promise.

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”