What is it with people's fascination with Crowley?

Talk about anything you want to here.
NeverMoonAWerewolf

What is it with people's fascination with Crowley?

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

Asides from "his" Tarot, he was a sensationalist, self-mythologizing bloke who was not even a real scholar in the magical arts. He made stuff up as it went, which in itself is fine as most people do to some extend, but he sold it as absolute truth. All the "shocking" things he supposedly did are quite the norm nowadays, but it is what his notoriety is based on. Reading his writings, it is clear he's rather uneducated on most topics, with bad translations and jumping from one thing to the next. The "Liber AL Vel Legis" is, in my opinion, one of the most meaningless writings in the history of modern magic, and none of the few ok things are really his ideas.

As long as he could keep his little cult engaged, so it seems to me, anything was fine.I am really amazed at the following he still has, especially from the O.T.O. - although there it is mostly money thing I begin to believe.

I think it is high time to deconstruct his so-called legacy. Why aren't more pagans turning the new generations to more important texts? And basically everything modern pagans write is more important.

Black Cloud

Re: What is it with people's fascination with Crowley?

Post by Black Cloud »

Well, we are all different, to each their own.
"People with a high tolerance for boredom can get a lot of thinking done." -Stephen King

“For every woman is at heart a witch.” -Charles Leland

“Men argue, nature acts.” -Voltaire

“Our life is the creation of our mind.” -Buddha

“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” -Epictetus

“Facts don’t cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley

Jjapsen

Re: What is it with people's fascination with Crowley?

Post by Jjapsen »

And everything "shocking" Elvis did back in the day is quite boring today, yet it is one of the first things one learns about him. Times change, but we tend to remember those who started the change, or belonged to the first doing something different for exactly that. Now, I never read anything from Crowley. I owned a Crowley Tarot once, but never used it. Generally I'd say the same as Black Cloud here, to each their own.

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”