Celtic language study

A forum for people who follow or are interested in the spiritual path of Druidry (whether neopagan, mesopagan, or reconstructionist), the ancient Druids, and Celtic culture.

Modern Druidry is a 300 year old path that focuses on nature spirituality and inner transformation founded on personal experience rather than dogmatic belief.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Celtic language study

Post by Firebird »

From the link above
https://www.animalsandenglish.com/celtic-mythology.html
Blackbird (Druid-dhubh) How about this one? The first part is evident but what about these dh bh sounds?
and "dd"??? I have come to understand it sounds like "th"??
I saw they listed Raven as Fitheach and not Bran, Michael do you know if this is a different dialect or why that is... boy oh boy now I am really confused and how do you say that one?
bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Micheál

Re: Celtic language study

Post by Micheál »

That's strange, Blackbird is Éan dubh (the dhubh is a grammar thing, whether the preceding word is feminine or masculine it changes the spelling), and sounds like "ayne doo"(or duv in the other dialects). Dh makes like a g or r sound, so "druid dhubh" would sound like 'dridge-roo', druid just means close in Irish(or Ulster Irish, the rest use dún. Druid do bhéal or dún do bhéal means "shut/close your mouth," for ex :lol: ) so I'm not sure where that came from, it might be from another Celtic language because I noticed a few animals on that site are different.

Bran is actually an older term for raven, it's in Old Irish, Another Old Irish word for raven was fiach, which is where the modern one comes from, fitheach sounds like "fee-ah" in Ulster, or 'fee-ak' further down south.

Lol it is confusing. Even though they're written in the same Latin script, Celtic and Germanic languages are so different!

Return to “Druids and Druidry”