Did druids paint themselves blue?

A forum for people who follow or are interested in the spiritual path of Druidry (whether neopagan, mesopagan, or reconstructionist), the ancient Druids, and Celtic culture.

Modern Druidry is a 300 year old path that focuses on nature spirituality and inner transformation founded on personal experience rather than dogmatic belief.
Demetri4

Did druids paint themselves blue?

Post by Demetri4 »

What was/is the Druid perspective on life? I don't really know anything on druids. Was it true that they painted themselves blue?
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

I have never seen my father or any of his acquaintances paint themselves blue. I have seen them rub snake blood on their foreheads, but that is as close to painting the body as they get.
Demetri4

Post by Demetri4 »

That's really interesting. You said in another post he is in Ireland. What part of Ireland ?
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

He use to live in Ireland, county Westmeath.
Demetri4

Post by Demetri4 »

That's cool. I have always wanted to go to Ireland,but I could never afford it. My ancestors are from Ireland. I have also wanted to learn Gaelic and Godleic.
What languages did/do the Druids speak prodomenitly?
Stephanie Mae

Recommended books on druidry

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Well I can not speak for all the Druids, I can speak for my father and his acquaintances I have met. They are all fluent in Gaelic and Latin, as is most of my family.

Now, in modern times I would think that practicing Druids use their native language. In ancient times, I believe most everything spoken by Druids was either in Latin or Greek. Using Ogham to communicate is also very prominent in this practice. Some really great reads and resources for Ogham, as pertaining to Druids would be; The Auraicept na n-Éces, or In Lebor Ogaim.

If you are looking for more modern reads on Druids, I would recommend the following; A Brief History of the Druids, By: Peter Berresford Ellis, or The Druids, By: Stuart Piggott. Both of these books are historically correct, while remaining scholarly.
RuneGeek

Recommended book about druidry

Post by RuneGeek »

Stephanie Mae wrote:If you are looking for more modern reads on Druids, I would recommend the following; A Brief History of the Druids, By: Peter Berresford Ellis, or The Druids, By: Stuart Piggott. Both of these books are historically correct, while remaining scholarly.
Jean Markale's The Druids: Celtic Priests of Nature is excellent as well.

Return to “Druids and Druidry”