Druids

A forum for people who follow or are interested in the spiritual path of Druidry (whether neopagan, mesopagan, or reconstructionist), the ancient Druids, and Celtic culture.

Modern Druidry is a 300 year old path that focuses on nature spirituality and inner transformation founded on personal experience rather than dogmatic belief.
Demetri4

Druids

Post by Demetri4 »

Where the Druids crazy?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

...... okay i'll bite.... no?? I have to say that was a weird question lol
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Demetri4,

As someone who comes from a Celtic/Druid background I have to say they were not crazy but then again, many people think that self identified "psychics" are crazy (I do not agree of course). The druids were not crazy by any means. I find them to be simply amazing and full of wisdom that has been passed along through the ages. I walk the path of a Druid each day and I am not crazy. Just another perspective. :)
Demetri4

Post by Demetri4 »

Oh I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Also you were right I shouldn't have asked that question.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

While we are on the subject... what makes a druid different from the standard pagan stereotype?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

You didnt offend me, i just thought it was a really strange and random question lol
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

My father is a Druid, practicing now for almost 23 years. I happen to think he is more sound of mind that most people I have encountered. Druids use to be looked upon as judges and advisers....a jack of all trades, so to speak.

I do not think your question was offensive at all, like Pix said very random.
Kassandra

More info in Druid forum

Post by Kassandra »

Albeit a weird post initiated this conversation, but nevertheless I am glad someone posted something in this forum. I love trees, and I think the Druid spiritual path has so much to teach us. It's too bad there's no "action" in this forum. I hope people feel inspired to post in here more often. It's kind of peaceful in this forum after all that "love spells" nonsense lately in some other forums, hahaha.

For instance, maybe talk about how Druidic thought and practices could be expressed in, and enhance our daily lives in modern culture. How did/do Druids view life? What's the purpose of life on Earth from a Druidic perspective? What are the holidays, the foods? Was the goddess important?

Anyone can cut and paste "encyclopedic" information on the topic, as has already been done here ....I could do that. But what would be much more interesting is reflections on experiences and perspectives from people who really walk that path, or at least know someone who does.

Anything would be nice. I invite you to share your thoughts.

shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

I still dont know what differentiates a druid from the collective group of pagans?

I read your FAQ Kassandra but to me druids still sound like ordinary pagans except they dont recognise or revere (for lack of a better word) the moon.

I would classify as pagan as anyone who practices an earth based religion, reveres nature and life and has some belief in the paranormal, be that magick, spirits, the natural energy of life etc....

From what i have read here druids simply fit into that category, so what sets them apart?

for example wiccans have the wiccan rede, the god and goddess and the various stages of their existence, summerland (i think its called that... the wiccan version of heaven)

Shamans (again, from my limited knowledge) are based mainly around animals, animal magick and spirits/energies

But druids? I draw a blank... I know its due to a lack of my knowledge, all i can associate them with is trees and forests, perhaps forest spirits but im just plucking terms out of the air now!

Can someone clear it up?

Cheers!
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

My father was a member of Ord Draiochta na Uisnech, when he lived in Ireland one county over from my mother. He is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon. He is incredible with our horses, and can predict the weather better than the farmers almanac. He spends a lot of time meditation, and has always taught me that in death, our souls are carried on the branches of trees to our birth. I know he holds Lugh very dear.

As far as holidays go, he celebrates all the same as my mothers side of the family, but really enjoys Lughnasadh.

If there are any specific questions, feel free to ask and I will try to get some information out of him.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

I'd be interested to know about the Druidic view of sacrifice.

Wikipedia says that the old druids, before and during the first decades of roman rule, practised sacrifice, both human and animal.

You also said in the other thread that he has put snakes blood on his forehead, assuming this is real blood from a real snake what is the druidic view of sacrifice, animal and human, and how does this a) fit in with the reverence of life and b.) what is the reason and point behind it?

Assuming the reason is so gain empowerment or perhaps knowledge of future events or something similar, how does a druid expect that the loss of a life will aid them?
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

shadowx wrote:I'd be interested to know about the Druidic view of sacrifice.

Wikipedia says that the old druids, before and during the first decades of roman rule, practiced sacrifice, both human and animal.
As far as I know, the Druids did not practice human sacrifice. I believe this was a rumor spread by the Christian invaders, to make the Druids appear barbaric.
shadowx wrote:You also said in the other thread that he has put snakes blood on his forehead, assuming this is real blood from a real snake what is the druidic view of sacrifice, animal and human, and how does this a) fit in with the reverence of life and b.) what is the reason and point behind it?

Assuming the reason is so gain empowerment or perhaps knowledge of future events or something similar, how does a druid expect that the loss of a life will aid them?
The ritual my father performed with the snake's blood was a re-birthing ritual. It was performed on Mean Earraigh, during a New Moon. The snake was dying from a respiratory disease, and so it was sacrificed to be re-born. They were doing a meditation with the blood on their forehead, to use their energies to help guide the snakes spirit to the Earth.

So, ultimately the ritual was performed to guide and aid the snakes spirit in the rebirth cycle.

Mean Earraigh is the spring equinox. It is a time for new beginnings and rebirth.

The new moon is also a time for new beginnings and rebirth. Performing this ritual during a new moon is the in-breath cycle, in which the spirit returns to the Earth to be reborn.

Snakes are very sacred, they are known as the guardians of the 'otherworld'. Snakes are also sacred for creation, rebirth and fertility. Snakes are held in the same regards as birds in my practice.

Hope this helps to answer your questions. Anyone else who has knowledge or experience with Druid sacrifice is encouraged to add any details or information.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

That's interesting, i wouldnt doubt that the human sacrifice is a christian rumor, it wouldnt be the first!

It's interesting that they killed an animal to help it... To me ti seems very strange, and not something i would do. However i can see that if the snake really was suffering then it is much the same as taking it to a vet and having in put down except the druids way was more spiritual.

I am relived that they did not sacrifice the animal for some other foolish reason.

Thanks!
Starwitch Stone

Post by Starwitch Stone »

I don't have any reason to believe that modern-day Druids are crazy, but there is evidence that the original druids were sorta crazy, or at the very least they were violent (as was most everyone in those days).

I saw a show about Druids on the National Geographic Channel. Archaeologists had found the remains of Druids who appeared to be used as human sacrifices to the gods. There was also evidence of cannibalism. When I watched the show, I thought that it was no wonder that the Romans wanted them dead if this was really how they were. They were frightening. A druid man's body was found and he had been knocked in the head, but not enough to kill him, then he was garrotted (basically choked) while at the same time having his throat cut. The researcher said that his blood would have spewed out in a dramatic way, which made her think it was a sacrificial ritual.

You can watch some of the show on YouTube. Here is one part of it. You'll have to watch another video to see more.

<embed src="http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... Player.swf" bgcolor="#000000" flashVars="videoRef=06435_00&shareURL=http%3A%2F%2Fchannel.nationalgeographic.com%2Fseries%2Fexpedition-week%2F4073%2FVideos%2F06435_00&embedConfigFileName=config.xml" allowFullScreen="true" name="flashObj" width="496" height="279" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/dow ... h"></embed>
Visit Everything Under the Moon for Love Spells, Money Spells, & Wicca Spells.
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

This is interesting, I will have to show this episode to my father and see what he thinks. Hopefully I can get him to watch it.

Return to “Druids and Druidry”