Welcome...

A forum for people who follow or are interested in the spiritual path of Druidry (whether neopagan, mesopagan, or reconstructionist), the ancient Druids, and Celtic culture.

Modern Druidry is a 300 year old path that focuses on nature spirituality and inner transformation founded on personal experience rather than dogmatic belief.
RuneGeek

Post by RuneGeek »

atheist of peace wrote:As soon as my schedual gets back to normal I'll start tryen to pimp out the section with posts.
Awesome... thanks!
Saulamaye

Post by Saulamaye »

A bunch.... oh, wait, you're asking RuneGeek! sm177

Seriously.... we will have to wait on RuneGeek to answer that one... I couldn't even begin to guess. Cause there was the "Druids" of long, long ago and then there are the Druids that started this path back 300 years ago. So.... could be a bunch, a whole bunch! :lol:
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

Saulamaye wrote:A bunch.... oh, wait, you're asking RuneGeek! sm177

Seriously.... we will have to wait on RuneGeek to answer that one... I couldn't even begin to guess. Cause there was the "Druids" of long, long ago and then there are the Druids that started this path back 300 years ago. So.... could be a bunch, a whole bunch! :lol:
Gona talk smart to the smart ass are you? Ohh, I like that. =D Though I may have left the path, I have kept many of the "vows" I wonder who else here at ETUM, is on this path, learned from this path, adapted from it, know of/about it...

Any topic would you guys like me to start on? Just let me know how I can help.
RuneGeek

Post by RuneGeek »

atheist of peace wrote:I wonder who else here at ETUM, is on this path, learned from this path, adapted from it, know of/about it...
Apparently not very many! But that was part of my purpose in wanting such a forum... to share this lesser-known branch of neopaganism with the rest of the group. :)
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

do you have a grove?
RuneGeek

Post by RuneGeek »

No. We have a coven, but we've started calling it a "circle" instead because it seems a little more flexible.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

Sorry, I mean like a physical grove.
RuneGeek

Post by RuneGeek »

You mean with trees?
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

RuneGeek wrote:You mean with trees?
yeah circle of trees around a field......;
DruidDreamer

Post by DruidDreamer »

Thank you for all of the information i am trying to follow this path but get very little information in Idaho.
roseonfire

Re:

Post by roseonfire »

You are correct that some Druids went underground when the killings began and that they passed the tradition from parent to offspring. My family is one of such (a fact I only bring up when the context for is appropriate, as this statement seems to cause controversy). Last Samhain, I finally received my initiation into my family's grove. It was a very rewarding experience, after years of study! I'm a diviner. Ever since I was little, I have had the gift of precognition and had received many visions often. I've also sometimes been sent omens. I now channel my abilities through Tarot (which my dad disapproves of, BTW, as it is not one of the traditional Druidic methods for divination, but I have found it quite useful anyway). I am also a musician.
RuneGeek wrote:At some point I'd like to have a FAQ as a sticky, but for now, just a brief introduction...

The Ancient Druids

The ancient Druids were the priests of the Celtic people. "Celtic" is a modern term used to describe any of the European peoples who spoke, or speak, a Celtic language. The historical Celts were a diverse group of tribal societies in Iron Age Europe. By the later Iron Age, the Celts had expanded over a wide range of lands: as far west as Ireland and the Iberian Peninsula, as far east as Galatia (central Anatolia), and as far north as Scotland.

Whatever the religion of the ancient Celts was called, we know that the Druids were its priests. They had formal training - for twenty years! - in order to earn the title, and their roles extended far beyond that of what we'd currently consider a "priest". They were judges, advisors, astrologers, diviners, poets, and musicians... and that's not a complete list.

Druidry was outlawed by the Romans after they invaded the British Isles. The druids who weren't killed off probably went underground, passing their teachings along to their children. Those teachings may well have been the Celtic contribution to what we later came to know as "witchcraft" in England.

Modern Druids

A little more than 300 years ago, in England, people saw the "writing on the wall" with regard to the industrial revolution; people living in cities, away from nature, and focused on materialistic pursuits. They knew that many - even then - had become disillusioned with the Christian church, so they decided to create a spiritual path to answer the needs of the time. Drawing upon the ancient Druids for inspiration, they started a movement that exists to this day.

Modern Druidry is an Earth-based path that observes the same eight holidays as Wiccans - although usually under different names. In fact, it was Ross Nichols (a modern Druid) and his friend Gerald Gardner (also a Druid... betcha didn't know that!) who originally instituted the eight holidays as a neopagan practice prior to Gardner's formation of Wicca. Although there is no set magical path associated with modern Druidry, many modern Druids practice magic in the form(s) of their choosing.

That's the very, very short version. :)
The Goddess is like the moon itself, guiding us in our darkest moments.

Return to “Druids and Druidry”