First Book of Shadows

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Silas Nightfall

First Book of Shadows

Post by Silas Nightfall »

I am going to get my first physical Book of Shadows this weekend. There are many on etsy that I like. Both blank and prewritten. Personally, I like spells I write myself, but was wondering if getting a prewritten one to start would be better for learning purposes?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: First Book of Shadows

Post by SpiritTalker »

If it helps weigh the pros & cons, I personally learn best through my own efforts in experimenting & observation. Plus i'd wanted a record of what I actually figured out instead of a text book. I have the time to sit & write. So long-hand works for me.
Silas Nightfall

SpiritTalker wrote:If it helps weigh the pros & cons, I personally learn best through my own efforts in experimenting & observation. Plus i'd wanted a record of what I actually figured out instead of a text book. I have the time to sit & write. So long-hand works for me.
I suspected as much. Many thanks!
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

Good going Silas Nightfall! I am also new to "Book of Shadows" and am wondering what would be a good one to start with. Thus far, I have made up my own.
Silas Nightfall

Blu-Luna wrote:Good going Silas Nightfall! I am also new to "Book of Shadows" and am wondering what would be a good one to start with. Thus far, I have made up my own.
I’m thinking about something like this. Leather bound and refillable.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... 01869,cs:1
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Are the refills easily available? If not, buy 1 extra with the book.

Something I've learned after using a few styles: the hardware locks drove me crazy when writing because the stiff leather flap curls & won't lay flat. If I tuck the flap under the book then the book wobbles. I ended up cutting off the fold over flap & hardware.
Silas Nightfall

I settled on this for my first one. I didn’t have much money and didn’t want to buy something expensive without seeing it first hand. Will post pics when it arrives.

https://www.azuregreen.net/5-x-7-Black- ... o/BBBL641/
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh maybe I'm too late..
I have a couple from this company, (a favorite booth at the ren faire ::coolglasses:: )
Anyway they are basically blank journal books with these beautiful leather covers.
https://www.oberondesign.com/collection ... n-journals
:fairy:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Silas Nightfall

firebirdflys wrote:Oh maybe I'm too late..
I have a couple from this company, (a favorite booth at the ren faire ::coolglasses:: )
Anyway they are basically blank journal books with these beautiful leather covers.
https://www.oberondesign.com/collection ... n-journals
:fairy:
Ooh. Those look nice too. I’ll keep them in mind for a future upgrade. Do you know what the dimensions are for the large option?
Siona

Post by Siona »

Silas Nightfall wrote:Personally, I like spells I write myself, but was wondering if getting a prewritten one to start would be better for learning purposes?
I know you've already picked one, so this is a bit late, but just in case someone else comes along later with the same question...

I often find prewritten books tend to miss the point. I'm sure they work for some people, but unless you belong to a specific tradition there's a good chance much of the info in the book will not work for you, will not resonate with you, or will not be relevant to your personal practice. Making it your own, and making it personal, will be more beneficial in the long run.
barker

Post by barker »

Siona wrote:I often find prewritten books tend to miss the point. I'm sure they work for some people, but unless you belong to a specific tradition there's a good chance much of the info in the book will not work for you, will not resonate with you, or will not be relevant to your personal practice. Making it your own, and making it personal, will be more beneficial in the long run.
Question: What resonates more, self or world? The answer is your own intelligence.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”