Why Do you Do Magic?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Why Do you Do Magic?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just hoping to get comments and people's thinking on why you do magic? Why do you practice witchcraft? What is important to you about it?
Tutmosis

Re: Why Do you Do Magic?

Post by Tutmosis »

Because it is my fathers will. And I love every bit of it.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Primarily to exercise psychic faculties, to establish a presence in the ethereal dimension, to input experiences to my Akashic Records for future life retrieval, to continue an on-going relationship with my Spirit Guide the Goddess Shekinah, to be able to influence probabilities in life and to offer self as an instrument in the hands of my Goddess to accomplish Her will on this world.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I have an intense curiosity to know how things work & a willingness to share what meager offerings I find so anyone who's interested can share. It's expressive of a greater wholeness. Inside my head there's a knowing that we don't get there unless we all get there together. Magic ismthe "how".
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

CIM discusses this also
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

I learned it to defend myself initially but it has grown into healing myself and reaching an ascended state.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

It is the way. A gift given to us at our birth. Magic may not be the only key to peaceful evolution as a people, but it is the most powerful. It is the reason why our brains are structured as they are. Magic is as much a part of us as breathing or procreating. Humans are innately creators, and magic is that creativity guided with intention, combined with an insatiable hunger for happiness. I feel it builds a personal bond to nature, and that is what will build harmony and growth. There are those who scoff, deride or persecute, but that is the pot calling the kettle black. Every form of creativity is magic whether for good or not, when this is realized, only then will our minds open and see all the blessings before us. Only then will we progress.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

What a great conversation topic, SpiritTalker! Thanks for getting it started!

Two reasons I can think of:

1) Magic connects me to my spiritual self and aligns me with my values and purpose.

2) Magic adds the extra "oomph" to everything I do. It's not a substitute for taking mundane actions, but it does add an edge to it that just makes everything more powerful. Like a pinch of spice you don't expect in a dish but brings out all the flavor.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

For me there isn't one specific reason if im honest there's many.
For me part of it is the power i will admit for a large portion of my life I've been thought of as weak bullied and basicay a easy target so i will admit the power witch craft gives me is like a new experience to me. Knowing that i have the ability to turn the tables on those who once bullied me definitely has its own buzz.
Another reason i practice is i feel like its in my blood its always something i have been drawn to. Im not sure if i have any ancestors who were witches but it would make sense if i do.
The spirituality it brings. Knowing that while in other practice's its believed the worshipper needs to go to a priest for the divine to hear their request meanwhile im able to put what i want out there.
These are not listed in the order of the most important they are just 3 reasons why I practice
Crazy Cat Lady

Post by Crazy Cat Lady »

I use magic because it is a part of me, no different than using my eyes to see or my hands to touch.
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Simply because it is my will to do so.
Mr Crowley
Banned Member

Post by Mr Crowley »

Some practice what looks to be inner magic, seems to be a religion, can't say for sure because I'm non religious.

Then there is external magic, projection into reality, having real-time impact. Kaos magic seems to be the correct nomenclature. (It's an unpopular path among active ETUM members.) Someone will chime-in if I used incorrect terminology. Listen to them because teach/share/advise isn't my path.

As for why:

Why practice magic, unless absolutely necessary?

If the results are powerful enough to cause inner fear, one will not random cast. Rather, one will be extremely selective because one cannot calculate every aspect of cause and affect.
ZippyZoo

Post by ZippyZoo »

I think initially it was because I wanted to be useful when my friends were experiencing some sort of magickal attack thing (they're....witches or something). And I was afraid and wanted protection for myself too, if I was going to help. I wanted to know how I fit into it all. Socially maybe too. I knew I had something in me but I didn't know what, and they kept saying so too. My best friend especially was particularly insistent and I kinda knew it too, but it hadn't been a priority, or something, yet. I think I was reading a lot about shamanism and different paths at the time, trying to see how I felt about it, and what I think fit.

Then I thought it might be necessary for me. That it might be what was missing, and helpful, and healthy for me, and that I needed to do it to be whole and operating well. So I experiemented with the title of witch for a year, and I've still stuck with it, generally.

I've always been drawn to the occult and magic and the imagination and myth though, and have had adventures and such, especially as a kid, but it's only been I think a year or two, more formally....still mainly intellectual, but an experiment and ritual here and there. Still need to really learn grounding and meditating as a skill and have started feeling really held back by it, and putting it in my morning routine.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I practice because I need more analog in my life.
I "know" there is more to life than just this meat machine and neurons. But I can't join a church. I just can't.

I need to engage my spiritual nature to feel fulfilled and whole. I feel more balanced since acknowledging that I am a "religious" person.
underthemoon18

Post by underthemoon18 »

I feel that it is the more open path for me. When I look into religions, it's all a very specific set of rules and what they believe, and I could never bring myself to really connect with that. I tried on many occasions, but overall my heart keeps telling me it's not the right path for me. Some people flourish with the rules and guidelines, and others need to act from intuition and how things feel.

When I first really looked into it, I really hated that everyones answers were vague, and that there was no 'rule book' on how to cast spells and what not. But when I would come across some, I would get discouraged because I didn't have the huge space they had, or all of the fancy equipment. But I quickly realized that it is more about what you feel. That there are general stones and herbs that can help heighten the outcomes you desire, but how you choose to use them, is completely up to you.

So overall, my answer is, because you get the freedom to do what you feel is right in that moment. And there really seems to be no.. judgment within it. I love that I can talk to people about a problem, and get feedback on how I can shift my energy, and how although I cannot change a strangers energy, I can stop their negativity from from affecting me; instead of, 'there are always going to be mean people, learn to deal with it' There just seems to be an overall feeling of love, instead of negativity.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”