What don't you like about your path? And what do you like?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

What don't you like about your path? And what do you like?

Post by SpiritTalker »

It both hard and awesome being a witch or pagan or Wiccan and to merge with the mundane. The path one is called to is our own.

1. Is there anything that you don't like about the path you follow?

2. And what about it do you like?

======

1- i dislike that high-strangeness seldom comes with instructions. And when it does, it ain't gonna be easy.

2- The variety of life forms with which we can interact is amazing, and the humbling Oneness is awesome. There's always more to explore, and I get to decide when to advance, rest or retreat. I like designing my own course of study, and that there are helpers along the way.

I might come up with more replies as they occur to me.
Bychan Wulf

Re: What don't you like about your path? And what do you lik

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Hmm I never thought about this before. I think I'm going to edit my answer many times to add more, just like you said, as they occur :D

What I don't like: The fact that I have to hide it, that is not very common in my country and that I can't cast spells while being angry or passed, because I don't want to accidentally curse someone.

What I like: That I got the chance to learn about other forms of existence and to use the power within me and the one of the elements, as well as controlling it for healing purposes.
Also, that by practicing it, I honour the nature and basically everything around me, that I can build my own path, that there are no rules that I have to follow except for the "Harm none and do what you will" one and that I can interact with the beings from other realms.
I'm out of ideas, but I'll come back with more soon.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yeh, secretiveness. We don't all have the same spiritual beliefs. So what? Why do people make such a big deal about same-ness? Coexist. Learn from each other. Share.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

I agree that I don't enjoy having to keep my spiritual beliefs from people. I also don't like how vague my gods can be when I come to them for guidance. It's something I've gotten used to, and I realize that it's more often than not a push to use my brains and figure it out myself, but the coyness irks me sometimes. I've been researching Northern paganism since it's something that calls to me, but I don't like how closed some of its practices and beliefs are. There are very strict rules and observances in some sects that really don't appeal to me, but I'm trying to learn how to approach them with a different mind-set.

I think what I like, more than anything, is how much more happy I feel day to day than I did before I started practicing paganism. It's like something clicked into place for me. I also really like how I can be as structured or spontaneous as I want or need to be. As someone who is still pretty eclectic, I appreciate that rituals and spell work can be adjusted depending on what I feel is right in the moment. I also feel more free to indulge urges like standing outside with my eyes closed and feeling the earth without being struck by guilt for it. When I was a Christian, it always felt like I was doing something wrong.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I don't like that I still have to hide my practice... still. I don't like that there are a handful of super "preachy" pagan who like to tell you the "correct" way to practice your craft, then give you grief when you think differently from them. It is irritating.

I like that I don't feel as if there are any rules. I can practice when and how I want. I don't need to define anything.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Deerstep

Post by Deerstep »

Ooh, tough question. But, a good one.

1. It's hard to plan my work schedule around a religious holiday that no one else in my community observes, both Esbats and Sabbats. I hate having to cram a good cleansing night under the stars into a 16-hour time span. I literally have to leave work and head straight for the mountains if I want to make it to camp by nightfall since I hike in and out. Sometimes (like right now) I can't burn a fire because of burning restrictions--either due to poor air quality or due to wildfire risk, so sometimes my rituals are missing a special little something only a nice campfire can provide. Sometimes the weather is too severe or my time is too short, I can't make it out to a ritual at all and I do one inside, where I'm risking my roommates hearing/seeing/smelling what I'm doing and asking awkward questions. Questions that might lead to me being booted out of a Xtian college dorm. It's easier to pretend I'm just a really big outdoor enthusiast.

Dancing (fully clothed!) in the rain, snow, puddles, sunshine, etc. a lot of people look at me like I'm nucking futs.

My roommates keep asking me why my room smells like a smoke shop when I don't smoke. My explanation is that my room needs to be cleaned and I'm using incense to cover the cleaner smell (Partially true. Hehehe.)

2. Sleeping under the stars on a moonless night far from the city.
Bathing in a cold spring river.
Waking up surrounded by snails (which I affiliate with the Goddess) the day after an epic Mabon ritual and rainstorm.
Everything tastes better cooked on a campfire, especially moon cakes.
Surrounded by trees and animals and no humans within miles.
Catching the sun with your bare hands and dancing with the moon.
Peace. Just cool, plain, simple peace.
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

SpiritTalker wrote:1. Is there anything that you don't like about the path you follow?
Weirdos
SpiritTalker wrote:2. And what about it do you like?
Nature

Hagerman420

Post by Hagerman420 »

Dislikes:

I dislike that I can not mentally tell myself I am going to dream tonight and it never happens. I dislike that I only dream on occasion. I dislike that the becoming of whatever path I am on had to start with me falling for the soul of a male figure whom is of authority on my team when I don't look at same sex in that manner. I dislike how people are stereotypes towards that which they do not understand. I dislike how most the people I associate myself with think I am crazy for being the way I am.

I like that which I am becoming whatever that may be, I like that I have found another within my community that is into the magical side of things. She is a druid through family, she practices tarot and is a very nice person. I am able to talk with her in my own weird way and be accepted. I like the knowledge and the amount of spirituality involved with this path I am currently following.

I am sure some of this may change the more I learn over time.

Be Happy Stay Happy :)
Be Happy Stay Happy :)
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

The only thing I don't like about my path is the particular curriculum I am following. Since I am working through The Nine Doors of Midgard, which I do adore working with, there are daily requirements, like the Daily Rite of Dedication, and such, which are a bit difficult to work in at times since I wake up at 5AM every day to get to work, and don't usually get back home until around 5pm. I probably could tweek the wordings a bit to better fit my schedule (instead of "from dawn to dusk" say "From nightfall to nightfall" ), but I am not sure how the Gild would feel about that when I put in my application to become an Associate of the Gild
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

So far I'm not liking the solidarity, I would love a teacher but they are few and far between for my path. I do love my path tho, everything about it other than the loneliness. I love the power and strength, the wisdom and benevolence and the trials.

fire and flames
Tigris Shadow

Post by Tigris Shadow »

I agree with everyone that it's hard to hide our beliefs in our society. I have a few very preachy Christian relatives that would be incredibly intolerant if they knew my path. The solidarity can be lonely, and I've noticed may pagans are initially very guarded and don't let newcomers in easily.

I love how we can individualize our path to make it ours. I've always believed spirituality is between us and the divine, and it's up to us to figure out the relationship dynamics :)
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

The main thing I dislike about my path is that there is little in the way of guidance. It has mostly been about self reliance which is great at times, but without a direction it's easy to get lost until you find a signpost. I have always wanted a tutor or teacher but solitary practice is all I've ever been able to accomplish.

As for what I like; I take from everything I touch and my magic is malleable. The source is both within me and available in the world around me.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I don't think I dislike anything about my path - otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it. The path itself has nothing to do with having to hide my practices and then again, I don't really have to do that either. Of course I don't run around telling people I'm a witch, but the people I think I can tell seem to react normally to it lately.

I like my path because I'm the one building it. And while I would like to share it with others sometimes, I'm used to working alone and maybe wouldn't be able to play nice with others.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

SpiritTalker wrote:
1. Is there anything that you don't like about the path you follow?

2. And what about it do you like?

======
What I don't like about my path isn't really about my path. It's just I don't have as much time as I used to to enjoy it. I love the path I walk. Life has gotten busy and juggling everything sometimes means that my spirituality has to take a back seat every now and again.

What I like about my path is that it's so natural. I incorporate nature into almost everything I do and I usually keep it pretty simple.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

My path is very hard and I'm coming to terms with it. My path involves confronting demons and being brave and not fearful, which is very hard. It also consists of me being brave while going through depression.

What I do like about my path is the gods and ascended masters I've met and the love they give me. Also, I'm in a spiritual relationship with an ascended masters and it's one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

I love hearing Ra say that I'm his son, and I love the amount of care that these parental beings I love have invested in me.

At the end of the day I love my path, even if it's extremely difficult at times.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”