Letting the Candle Burn Down

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
ErisDysnomia

Letting the Candle Burn Down

Post by ErisDysnomia »

So I assume I have been doing this right but when it says meditate then let the candle burn down. They aren't expecting me to meditate for upwards of 8 hours right?

It's do a 15-30 minute meditation (or how ever long you feel gets the job done) then let the candle burn down.

With this you can walk away, read a book, sleep (if your brave/stupid), do homework, etc. Because I couldn't imagine sitting and watching a candle burn all the way down. I tried but I did fall asleep. And when I woke up 6 hours later it was still burning (almost out).

I'm just more so confirming that I am doing this right. So that's alright, right?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Letting the Candle Burn Down

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yes, light the candle & meditate with the flame and concentrate only on the spell's goal as long as it's productive and comfortable to do so, then let it burn while you carry on with other activities. If necessary, (you decide what necessary is) snuff the flame and relight it the next day at the same time, concentrate on the goal, and let it burn as long as you can or until the candle is spent. This can be repeated over 3-7 days so you are in the same moon phase that you started with. Poke pins into the candle, equally spaced down the length, and burn one section at the same time every day for however many days you want it to run. Most commercially made, dinner-table style taper candles burn an inch an hour, or so.

Edit: the above was relevant to TAPER candles. If you were to use a votive candle, you mentioned elsewhere the pins do not work. And votives melt down the center like pillars do.
Lenea

Post by Lenea »

I have heard that fires are creatures that love and want to live and they like to burn down. It's their life, they like that it's longer.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Most schools of thought say once you've ignited a candle to do a spell/working you must let it burn until it goes out on it's own, sending the energy to the either in a long generated flame.
I would like to see pros and cons of folks that put out the flame then relit them. LoL wonder where that page is :P
Completly understandable though, if you do not have somewhere such as a fireplace to burn them until they are extinguished on their own, one must switch the focus and adapt. I can see putting that clause into the intent as the spell is cast... Like, "Now the spell is cast and away as this flame burns once each day" or something like that. Or I can see burning it only the" hour of the moon" each day for a love spell, Working intent into limitations.
:fairy:
bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

You do not need to let the candle burn down unless you have put the spells meditation efforts directly into the candle. So for example, if you meditate about bringing light to the world, you let the candle go out by itself, which usually means to let it burn down. If you put any sort of spells or blessing directly into the candle it needs to burn down unless it is a continuing spell, like blessing a candle to work with a god/ess, or to help you lose weight etc.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”