Wiccan Name

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
megsaroni88

Wiccan Name

Post by megsaroni88 »

Do I need one? :anxious:

As part of trying to be a better and more dedicated Wiccan, I've decided to look at my path from a more informed place, i.e. I've been reading books on the subject so I don't feel so much like I'm flying by the seat of my pants. Reading books from the start has been comforting and eye opening to say the least, especially since a new book appeared just when I needed one! Still, when I came to the step of picking a new name I found myself resistant. Affirming your resolve and dedicating your self I understand but having a separate name, not so much. The book and various websites I've read articles on make it seem entirely necessary but at the moment I'm a solitary witch who communes on my own, I just don't see the point in it. I feel like I'm me, I'm trying hard to improve me, and the Goddess knows me as me, if any of that makes sense. Changing my name holds no interest in what I'm trying to achieve.

Do I have to pick another name? Is it as necessary as I'm being led to believe?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Wiccan Name

Post by SnowCat »

From my point of view, a separate name is a tool, much like other tools. It can help you focus, but if it doesn't feel right for you, I wouldn't worry about it..

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I don't think you have to (unless you are in a coven that requires it) & I don't dress up either. I tried, but found a robe cumbersome. Books are helpful, but our intuitive will makes our reality. If Authors explain the purpose and reason behind their text, we can make informed decisions and do what works for us.
Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

I've been doing this for 12 years, and have never felt the need for a magical name. It would be cool to receive a name from a coven or order, but I don't think it's necessary. l do have a private name that I share with the spirits and gods, but even that I use sparingly. From my understanding, the main purpose of a craft name is to create a sort of separation between your mundane life and your magical life. It's a sort of controlled personality disorder.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

I like to call my self raven claw from time to time.
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

The origin of a separate Name is that names have Power. Giving someone you Name can give them power if they are bad entities or people. It's why in magical circles you "What are you called?" Or "what may I call you?" The occasion when someone in that type of situation has asked me what my name is my response is "You may call me Alaric" it was a way of protecting yourself in a time when being a witch was a death sentence. Now it is a way to connect with the tradition of what you practice. That said, I agree with the others when they say if it doesn't feel right, don't bother, unless you join a coven that requires it or you go to a public ritual (I have met a few bad people at those)
susieluna

Post by susieluna »

You do not NEED a Wiccan name but they really do help. It's a great tool.

My Wiccan name has become a name for my soul, not my body.
I never intended on picking a name until I started having dreams of flowers and moons. I wondered what the meaning behind these dreams were and decided that it could be a sign of my soul's name.
I did some research and translated Little Flower of The Moon into Gaelic. I'm Irish and have lived in Ireland and learned Gaelic my whole life. I am also really interested in Celtic Wicca and Celtic Deities.
It translated into Bláthín Ní Ghealí, which is the Wiccan name I now use.

My advice would be to stop searching and panicking over a name. It will come to you when the time is right. Take note of any symbols around you, maybe the Goddess has been trying to contact you to let you know of your name and you haven't paid attention. Or, maybe you are not ready to receive one just yet.

Of course there are spells you can do to show that you are open to receiving a name and maybe one will come to you.
Until then, don't worry on it too much. It doesn't mean that the Gods are ignoring you, it doesn't mean you're doing something wrong, it just means the time is not right.

Blessed Be ♡
The Earth plays music for those who listen.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”