How to practice casting a circle

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Knownothing

How to practice casting a circle

Post by Knownothing »

Hello I am a new witch and I am wondering how I would be able to practice casting a circle for spells and protection. :flyingwitch:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: How to practice casting a circle

Post by SpiritTalker »

How would you be Able to Practice casting a circle? You just do it and repeat as desired. Are you unable to do this? Edit: as in, do you have some disabilities that inhibit movement?

Why do you think you will need protection? And from what? Edit: knowing this would better help someone to advise you. Any basic circle is somewhat protective.

As you have asked a similar question before, have you done a search? If you do not know how, the search field is at the top right of the screen. There are several lengthy discussions on circle casting already on the forum. Hopeful Child has replied at length to your first question.

By asking the same very brief question in different areas, you have come across as though you are toying with people here.(edit: this is only my personal impression.) Your introduction said only that you have been attracted to WC all your life.(edit: therefore I do not even know how old you are ) You should be willing to take part. This means you do the work, you do the research. People will be generous with their time when you make an effort.

If I have misunderstood your intentions, please accept my apology and know that your sincere inquiries are welcome. Edit: but it will help us if you will please elaborate a bit.

Edit: I have added some bits in an attempt to seem less condescending, in response to comments. Please allow for unintentional direct or dry speaking habits. My apologies to the Board if I have stuck my foot in it.
mikezmac

Post by mikezmac »

SpiritTalker is coming across condescending.

You can cast a circle or erect the temple as you wish. The more comfortable you become the easier it is.
Figure out what you feel you will need 1st what and how you what to call the four corners.

Believe it or not youtube has Wicca talking about this. Check it out.

Don't listen to people who talk down to you.
Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

I stand, close my eyes, put my projective hand out in front of me, spin around clockwise three times as I visualize a ring of blue fire around me. I then open the watchtowers and create an astral temple within the circle. But that's for another discussion.

You can also research the LRP (Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram) that many folks use.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
Zombiedaisy

Post by Zombiedaisy »

I've tried a few techniques and once I felt comfortable with one I just kept doing it. Putting it into action is the best practice. I found the more I did it, the more natural it became :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Holy moly, Batman. My inner-b.tch was in full operative mode. Face palm!

Sweep the intended area first to clear away debris and stuck energy.

An easy non-wican circle formation that works based on your body's un-broken connection to the ground, is to start North, and shuffle walk, dragging your feet as you walk counter clockwise, making an unbroken circle and return where you started. Counterclockwise stirs up the earth's energy that forms the barrier. State the purpose of the circle to open the connection. Perform your spell. State that the purpose is completed, to close the connection. Walk through the rim to dissipate the circle energy.

If you want to practice a specifically Wican circle you would ground & center; cleanse, raise energy & direct it by point-&-push and/or draw a circle on the ground, walking normally & moving clockwise now to increase energy. Then address the 4 elements (N-earth, E-air, S-fire, W-water) for balanced energy. You may want to invite your preferred deity. Then do your spell and rest, followed by making your thanks-offering. To wrap things up you thank deity & release the quarters in reverse order. Finally, ground the circle-energy into the earth. You can use normal conversational wording.

It is also OK to cleanse the space & project the circle but not call quarters or invite deity. As none are summoned there is no dismissal or offering. It holds your energy in & keeps out static interference. The energy circle dissipates by just walking thru it.

You can also visualize the circle projecting outward from yourself, like a big bubble. Still call quarters in order & welcome deity if you have one. Ground it when done. There's never just one way to do things :) .
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

A thought on why we sometimes want to go widdershins, counter clockwise: Widdershins does not cancel energy, it disperses energies that are there. It awakens the earth energy. It stirs it up. So, if you had cast a standard Wiccan clockwise circle then reversing and going counterclockwise disperses the boundary.

Going deosil, clockwise and with the movement of the sun in the N hemisphere, increases energy so the channeled force you will draw upon and direct through your projecting arm with your intention, will create a boundary and barrier. It will contain and hold your psychic energy and, if unbroken, will stop outside psychic interference.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I see the act of inviting the Deity in thevery circle,as asking for help. Both the elements and the Deities,are in everything and everywhere. Like you said,inviting them is establishing a connection and drawing the attention of the Deity you want to work with. The circle,the elements and the Deity all have a physical manifestation,so inviting them is sort of mixing all those outside physical forces in one cauldron (your circle )
This is just the way I see it and it might be wrong or sound illogical as I am still in the process of learning :-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

my circle may not be the most fancy but I make it with pride.

I use things like statues and figures to represent the elements

I build the temple using things like dice and playing cards (i'm sort of afraid to use candles due to my shaky hands).

hope you find this to be helpful.

may the gods bless you.
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

That's brilliant! I commend you for having the initiative to substitute when candles are chancy to use. Thanks for sharing that.
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

thank you for your kindness.

I tend to do the circle inside for privacy reasons I make space in my small room but I have made work before.
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

nightshroud wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:52 am my circle may not be the most fancy but I make it with pride.

I use things like statues and figures to represent the elements

I build the temple using things like dice and playing cards (i'm sort of afraid to use candles due to my shaky hands).

hope you find this to be helpful.

may the gods bless you.
I think I will place some playing cards and dice against a darklord statue as a remembrance of Nightshroud in my next circle.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”