Limited Wicca Supplies...Any Suggestions?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Gray Pool

Limited Wicca Supplies...Any Suggestions?

Post by Gray Pool »

I have VERY limited supplies, I'm 13 and have no way of earning my own money until summer vacation. My mum refuses to buy me anything I need... so I have a few candles, one tiger's eye stone that cost all my money.... and that's it. I really don't know what do do about this; and wasn't sure where to put this. Does anyone have any suggestions how to earn money in the big city? Also, how can I make do with these limited supplies? I also have no space for anything... share a bedroom with my mum, can't do rituals AT ALL! I feel extremely frustrated and silly, I'm afraid I can't do wicca at all.
Omnitheist. Caracal and pronghorn therian (if you have questions, ask please). Haven't found my specialty yet.
MsMollimizz

Re: Feel ridiculous...

Post by MsMollimizz »

Spiritus,
I do online surveys, they keep me in books and supplies...
I posted a few links down in the "fun" section at the bottom
of the board index page. I hope you find them as much fun
as I do cause I can see my "rewards" building while I do them.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
NP

Post by NP »

There are some things (like craft supplies to make your own tools) that you could easily pass off as being for a school project. Some other things can be just bought as decorations you like. As for rituals, though it may not seem like it, you can do something as simple as a spell using a bowl of water and a candle. As long as it holds the significance for you, you can work with it.
NP

Post by NP »

Oh, and forgot to mention: mostly empty or empty public parks are great for the very low key kind of thing I mentioned.
SolitaryWoman

Post by SolitaryWoman »

Well you don't need any supplies really. The stuff is cool and helpful but not necessary. I mean use what you have. Go on nature walks. Meditate by candlelight. Say your prayers under the full moon. All you need is yourself.
You are what you love
Not who loves you
Siona

Post by Siona »

SolitaryWoman wrote:All you need is yourself.
I can't emphasize that enough. A lot of people get caught up with tools, supplies, and all that, often because it seems that's what a lot of books and websites put emphasis on. I remember one of my first books had a giant list of supplies that it was suggested you start stocking up on... but really, while tools are nice, none of it is necessary.

Your finger can act as an athame and wand, use household cups and bowls if/when you need them. Salt is something that's in most homes, and you can use that in a number of ways. See what other things are kicking around in your spice cabinet, if you have one. Even if you're in a city, there are probably still some plants around, even something like dandelions, learn about what's around you. It's a great way to connect with the natural cycles around you, and even in a city they're there.

Learn to meditate, many forms of meditation require no supplies, and they can be done in limited space. Prayer is another thing that requires no supplies, and can be done anywhere. If you want to make offerings, offer cool water, or part of your meal. It doesn't have to be fancy if you can't afford it.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Spiritus. Great suggestions everyone's given so far. I thought about how pagan holidays were literally "adopted" into Christianity (Easter was originally a celebration of Astarte, May Day was originally a fertility celebration, Christmas is a conglomeration of several ancient pagan rites rolled into one, etc.) This means that you could celebrate the sabbats right along with the rest of the family as they celebrate mainstream holidays. For example, as they put out their Christmas decorations, you put out your Yule Log. While they celebrate Halloween, you celebrate Samhain.....since the decorations are so similar, your family will be none the wiser.

In fact, you'll be the wise one because you'll know the true meanings of the holidays they're celebrating (caution here: don't try to "educate" people, that's not your goal, just do your thing, and let others do theirs). As the ladies have suggested above, you can use what's already in the house to practice witchcraft. Personally, I think the best spells are integrated into daily life, making magical the mundane.

I really like the Wiccan tradition of a new person committing to "a year and a day" of focused study. That sends the message that one isn't going to get this overnight, but through trial and error, persistence, humility and lots of study.

Check out these forums for starters, if you'd like:

See ideas others have shared over the years of fun ways to celebrate sabbats (pagan holidays):
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... sbats.html

Clever hidden (some in plain sight) altar ideas, many do-able with things you already have around the house:
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24263.html

Thumb around through other members' Books of Shadows for inspiration and ideas:
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... adows.html

Gray Pool

Post by Gray Pool »

Wow thank you for all of your suggestions! This is all very useful, you all made me feel a bit less sad when it comes to supplies. <3
Omnitheist. Caracal and pronghorn therian (if you have questions, ask please). Haven't found my specialty yet.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Another thing you could do, which doesn't need to be 'hidden' from anyone, is start meditating and doing yoga.

Meditating is a practice to focus the mind, and in the future when you figure out how magick really works, you'll definately want to have powerful concentration skills.

Yoga is an excellent way to stay in shape and keep your energy channels open. Plus it's crazy popular.

Lots of people do this from every religious background, so I doubt your family would find it 'weird' or 'crazy' or 'witchcraft'. If they ask about you're new hobby, just tell them you're trying to clear your head and relax.

Here's a fundamental meditation practice to start with: Sit in a comfortable position and clear your mind of every thought. The goal is complete mental vacancy.

You'll be surprised at how difficult it is to completely stop your train of thinking. But as soon as you're able to do this for ten minutes straight, you'll be miles ahead of all the other kids.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Limited Wicca Supplies...Any Suggestions?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Repurposing is traditional. That's how the cauldron & broom became icons. Think in terms of repurposing household items as tools & supplies. A chalice is just a cup, etc. Supplies do not need to come from a Witchy shop. Dollar-stores are popping up in many cities. Grocery stores sell packs of all-purpose white, 6" emergency candles & birthday candles in many colors that are usually inexpensive. Use table salt to purify, pepper to repel & sugar sweetens attitudes. Olive oil's properties are vitality & victory & it has been used for centuries for blessing & anointing. 2 table spoons-full in a recycled jar is a good supply. Paper coffee filters or recycled envelopes make handy spell pouches that can be decorated & tied closed. There are many spells that don't use candles such as cord/knot magic (use twine), natural stones (free finds), sigils (use any paper & pen) & bottle-spells where any bottle or jar becomes a container to hold the spell ingredients. Make your own divination pendulum with string & any kind of weight (raid the junk drawer). Use playing cards instead of costly tarot deck - find instructions on-line.

Look at Nature like a shopping mall: flowers, leaves, bark, pine cones etc., are all useful. Any raw stone will hold a psychic charge & white quartz can be found beside streams, on graveled walkways & is used in landscaping. It's kind of fun to see what can be devised for free. So start focussing on what you can do & just get goin'.

One kind of a ritual substitute is visualizing a place-of-power on the astral plane. The POP is imagined as any natural setting of your choice. Repeated imaging makes it take on a life of it's own. It's a safe place to act out rites & to meet with deities or guides, & for long-distance spells.
T'ani-L'ai

Re: Limited Wicca Supplies...Any Suggestions?

Post by T'ani-L'ai »

I've joked for a few years about starting a blog called "The Walmart Witch." I've even thought about some cool slogans, like "Divine on a Dime!" and "Casting Spells and Clipping Coupons!" Okay, so, I guess "cool" is relative, but it amused me! :lol:

In all seriousness, though, there's nothing wrong with being a dollar-store witch. If you think of your materials as an extension of yourself in your craft, then sure, you'll always want the best equipment you can afford. But, I choose to think of my equipment as a physical medium that begins in the mundane, physical world and helps me to direct my intent to the higher, magickal planes.

My two rules are:

1. Keep it natural! Feel the good vibes of the Elements in your tools and equipment. You can make your own wands with whittled twigs and sticks, and find a perfectly good water bowl in a seashell or a burning bowl in a mason jar, even! (though, be sure you don't let a glass jar get too hot!)

2. Intent is the most important thing! Especially when you're starting out, it's important to remember that it all comes down to putting your intent out there. Start out slow, keep it simple, and don't sweat that you don't have the access or funds to put into your craft right now. Give it time, and your patience will be rewarded!

Also, I've white candles are your all-purpose blank slate! At a true dollar store where everything's actually a dollar, you can find tapers, votives, and even tealights, as well as candlestick holders. If you want an elemental candle, imbue it with elemental energy and carve an appropriate symbol into it, or imbue the elemental energy into an appropriately colored string (embroidery floss can usually be found for pretty cheap!) or try some ribbon to tie around the candle, letting its energy saturate into the candle.

I think my first altar as a teen consisted of a white votive candle surrounded with a feather, a shotglass of water I'd liberated from my parents, a really cool stone that was smooth and round (I think I found it at the end of my street, if I remember correctly!), and a book of matches. I saw the value in each of these things, the correspondences, and I appreciated them for their "re-appropriated" uses.

As for not having a space to practice in, I wish I had some ideas. All I can really tell you is that, even though it's hard now, don't be discouraged! The world is your altar, your soul is your candle, and your words are your power! Have you ever considered meditating and creating an altar all your own in your mind's eye, an inner temple? Or perhaps manifesting the tools of your trade on the Astral Plane? Energy and intent is really all you need. :D

Anyway, I know I get long-winded, but trust me, where you're at now? I've been there, and I know how it is. I hope at least some of this might have helped! Best wishes and many blessings as you traverse the path, my friend!

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”