Book of Shadows?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Blue

Book of Shadows?

Post by Blue »

Hello all,

I've started writing information about Wicca in a binder, so later on down the track I can buy dividers and make 'sections' on each specific topic I want to cover (tools, herbs, God/esses, etc) and I stumbled across a piece of information that said this journal-like thing became my Book of Shadows if I chose to go down this path. I understand what a Book of Shadows is, but how exactly does it turn into one? Instead of writing about Wicca do I start writing spells and stuff? And, will I later have to improve my handwriting and transfer all of the information into one of those big leather bound BoS's like on Charmed? (That sound's so naive I know, but I've searched on Google and that's exactly what comes up, those big, thick books similar to the one on Charmed)

Thanks,

Blue.
Blackthorn

Re: Book of Shadows?

Post by Blackthorn »

Honestly, it's completely up to you and your own aesthetic. Some people have just one comprehensive book where they keep their dream interpretations, their spells, info about wicca, their journal. Some people split these up into separate volumes. Some people are really organized, some people are more haphazard. Some people have their BoS in a composite notebook, some people have it all digitalized. Some people really like that Charmed flavour and buy big leather bound books. It is completely up to you, and there is no particular formula if you're following an eclectic path.

For myself, I'm very new to witchcraft but I've decided to keep all of my journaling in a normal journal- including my reactions to rituals and spells, what I'm learning about, etc. and to put all my informational pages, stories about my gods, spells, rune charts, herb information, etc all into my book of shadows. I want to decorate each page so it's a work of art so I also have a temporary one with templates going.

But, like you, I liked the ease of a 3-ring binder so I had a binder made for me personally so it still felt "special" and fit my aesthetic desires, but still had the ease of rings.
SoviaLena

Post by SoviaLena »

Your BoS is as unique as your own personality, there is no one and the same. It will differ based on what your interests and areas of focus. For me I keep track of everything in a spiral bound notebook that has dividers in it. At one point when I was an adolescence it was just a compilation of scraps of paper stuffed in a folder but it has with time evolved with me. Ultimately it comes down to what your comfortable with.
Herzen

Post by Herzen »

i think the book of shadows is different for everyone. If your not sure of what support you want for it you may start one draft and then change later.

I've been putting all my notes on a book for more than a year it's like a draft book of shadows and know I'm thinking of finding a proper place to clearly write all down.
~ Disciple of Artemis ~
Blue

Post by Blue »

Alright. Thanks guys. I was just confused as to what I was meant to do with it. I'll probably end up buying a dedicated binder for it, at the moment its just a couple of pages at the back of my school binder :mrgreen:

Blue.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I've made about 4 different Books of Shadows. I do adore the look of the Charmed BoS (Charmed is my guilty pleasure, I've watched every single episode like gazillion times, I literally know every line in the show) and made one to look exactly like it. But eventually I changed it when I saw this beautiful black book in the book store :) I also have a Book of Mirrors, which is more of a journal with experiments and remarks on spells and everyday work. This one is not pretty and fancy :) just a journal, really.
My latest BoS looks fantastic and has sections for spells, herbs, Gods, rituals etc.
My point is, a BoS becomes one when you put an effort in it's creation. It can be anything from a small notebook, to a fancy huge Charmed style BoS. The important thing is what it means to you.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

If you want...
There's instructions all over the web on how to make
your own hardback book ! I think that would be real
cool to actually make my own BOS and possibly my
own paper also ! I got receipe for making paper out
of dryer lint and okra ! I just need to find a screen
of the right size.
I wish you all the luck in the world to find what
fits you and your needs.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
manshin

Post by manshin »

I like the idea of having a personalized, hand-written book for all my notes, but it's a LOT of notes. So I just use Evernote.
Korean Sorceress/Shaman 만신; witch; Kemetic Orthodoxy
*I do not follow any (Neo)Wiccan beliefs.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Holiday rites, spells & incantations, oil blends, powders, herb-bread recipes, herb & stone properties, symbols, colors ... anything you want to remember
Nerys

Post by Nerys »

Easy and affordable, stack of plain copy paper. A 2-holes perforator to punch holes. Use gift ribbon to tie it up like a giftwrap so it can be undone to add more pages. For ribbon silver/gold for moon/sun or elements colors or just your birth sign color. For a cover and back 2 cardstock pages in a color or 2 scrapbooking cardstock pages some brands have like page with water, plants etc. You can add tab pages. Like a green for herbalism section.
If you dislike white paper you can tea dye it. Or add a very diluted light wash of water and liquid watercolor with a soft mop brush.
A plain notebook you can do some of the same things.:)

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”