Where Do I Even Start??..

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Veronica_Rose

Where Do I Even Start??..

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Hi everyone!

So, about five years ago when I was a little 13 year old, I found out about Wicca and witches and pagans and all of this "really cool stuff!" And I just... Totally jumped in head first. And I understand that did not work out in my favor, because within maybe 7-8 months, I had just dropped all of my interest and excitement for what I thought I was so in love with.

Now I'm honestly thinking of going back to try to find my path... But, I want to take the time, and I want to try to do this right this time. Last time I was just really caught up in a whirlwind of stone meanings, herb uses, magic spells and alter arrangements and all that fun stuff. I thought I was really in touch with the God and Goddess, but I was naive and mistaken.

The last three days I've been contemplating on if I really want to start finding my path again, and how I should go about it, and doing some research again. These last few years, my spirituality has been pretty non-existent. It just hasn't really concerned me.

I've seen YouTube videos, and read articles online. I think the top two tips I've gotten on "Where to start on your path" is to keep a journal, and meditate on it...? And I'm not saying I'm not willing to do that, those are great tips really! But, what does that even mean. Like, how do you really meditate? Am I supposed to be thinking of something? Or keep my mind clear and... Just let it come to me, or something? And the journal... I think a lot of people would agree the hardest part of writing is getting started. Like, a blank page can be daunting. What should I even start journaling about?...

I'm sorry I'm kind of rambling. Long story short; any advice and tips as to where I should start on my path to find my path?? If anyone could elaborate on the meditation part, or give me tips on starting a journal, I would be so greatly appreciative of your help! Also, if anyone would like to add something to journalism and meditation, I'd love to hear about what else I could do to help myself.

Thanks so much for your help! <3
Veronica_Rose
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

Brightest Blessings xx Veronica Rose
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Where Do I Even Start??..

Post by SnowCat »

How about just an idea notebook, rather than a formal journal. Just write down things that you think might be relevant. After a while, you might see some type of pattern or meaning.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Like, maybe in bullet points of things I read that interest me, and then trying to piece them together? That seems like a good idea.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

With journaling, I usually go the "stream of consciousness" route- I don't have a plan,I just sit down with some music playing and write. Sometimes I'm really surprised by what emerges from my pen. Sometimes I have a prompt to help me out. For example, I study druidry and the course I have often has prompts at the end of the lessons to help me get started.

For meditating, what I usually do is use visualization. First I try to prepare my body and mind. I like to be clean and comfortable. Then I start picturing the parts of my body, starting with my feet, lighting up and relaxing. I do this slowly and work up my body to relax all of my muscles and start my mind focusing on something other than my daily worries. Then I picture myself in a grove, under an oak tree (most of the time)- if my mind wanders and adds other details, like ravens or another being, I just let it happen. Then I just sit here for awhile, listening to the sounds of the forest. At this point my conscious detailing usually ends and anything else I experience is largely unintentional.

I should note again that I come from a druidic discipline and I'm still in my year and a day, so maybe others have better insight.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Hello and welcome! I also take my time to understand your path personally before jump in head first. Glad to have you!

Rosie [GREEN HEART]
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Veronica_Rose wrote:Like, maybe in bullet points of things I read that interest me, and then trying to piece them together? That seems like a good idea.
Exactly. Don't worry about why something popped into your head, or interests you, just write it down. You'll most likely realize that a particular path is drawing you.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

I suggest go with your intuition. Follow what your guts is saying where to start. The path isn't necessarily a straight line where everyone is obliged to walk; there are many, many forks and crossroads, and the terrain is often quite uneven. Sometimes it's important to stop and rest, other times it's better to just set off into the woods without a clear path ahead. Sometimes too, paths made by others doesn't quite suit us as they often take us places where we clearly do not belong.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

SnowCat wrote:
Veronica_Rose wrote:Like, maybe in bullet points of things I read that interest me, and then trying to piece them together? That seems like a good idea.
Exactly. Don't worry about why something popped into your head, or interests you, just write it down. You'll most likely realize that a particular path is drawing you.

Snow
Thank you Snow, that does seem like a good idea if I get stuck on what to write.

On another note! Last night I wrote a whole page reflecting on something I read. :)
I was really happy I did it: it kind of just happened! I'm still not sure how to start trying to meditate yet, though.

Siona

Post by Siona »

Veronica_Rose wrote:What should I even start journaling about?...
I think a good beginning topic to write about is why you want to peruse this path. Sometimes when you really hammer down the whys, and think about what you're looking to accomplish, it can really help you discover what the next best steps to take would be. Someone who's looking to build a relationship with a deity might need different information and skills than someone who's more focused on learning herbalism, for example.

As for meditation, it's a whole giant topic in itself that can be totally separate from Wicca/paganism/etc. There are many different forms and styles of meditation, so you might want to look for a few beginner websites/books on the subject - and if one particular form of mediation doesn't seem to be working for you, there are many others to try out.
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

I guess my suggestion would actually to do a year and a day study and get to know yourself and what your path is, there is so much you can learn by simply dedicating yourself to understanding and learning like you plan on instead of getting a lot of books and being like okay now i can do all these things. Now don't get me wrong I feel that this could be longer then a year and a day it should be something you do all your life but a year and a day is a good starting point.

With a year and a day study you get a topic and you start that week/moth learning about it and feeling out how it works for you/ how you interpret the topic. Now most feel this is only Wiccan but this can be used for pagan to begin.

Now I do want to disclaim many are not into the ideal of individuals doing this outside of a coven because in a coven they have classes specifically set up for this, but I do have to say that it is possible to do this yourself and come to a conclusion but you actually have to stick to it and be willing to learn/study.

Now where to start with a year and a day study:
There are many ways you could simply gather some books dedicated to a year and a day study and follow them.
You could take an online course and have a mentor or do it all on your own.
You could do something like this..
The Prince Unorthodox on tumblrs ideal on it
http://theprinceunorthodox92.tumblr.com ... ghts#notes

OR you could do this and i really think this is the right way personally to go about it:
Make a list of things that interest you, compile a major list/key list and literally spend a month dedicated to studying an item on the list and learning if it calls to you.
Make sure to add the basics of the craft: various mythology and the gods within them, study the actual history of Wicca or what religion you feel calls to you.
i personally dedicated a month to learning about each religion and if it called to me Wicca, Buddhism, Voodoo, Judaism, Christianity, Wiccan Christianity... you get the ideal.
While your doing this journal what your thoughts are at that point in time and facts that you find interesting or disturbing.
Since meditation is something you don't get maybe start by getting a beginners guide to meditation and incorporate those lessons into what your already trying to learn so you learn them both as you go.
Let yourself get a feel for what you actually believe and what you think is just non-since make your path your own.

anyway sorry for the rambling but this would be my suggestion, I personally think anyone in any religion should do this to better affirm your beliefs and ideals but that's just me ><
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Thank you so much BabyBear and Siona! I think I'll make a journal entree on both why I want to find my path, and make a list of all the things that possibly interest me, so I can study more. And, BabyBear, your rambling was very much appreciated; thanks for the link, it's very helpful!

Thanks to everyone so far for your input and wisdom, it's very much appreciated <3

DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

You got a ton of good ideas in this thread! I noticed that you seemed to have focused mainly on the technical mechanics of Wicca. My suggestion would be in addition to these, begin creating. There's something very powerful in the art of creation. Art gives birth to some amazing things. The Goddess herself is the epitome of creation, what better way to connect with her? Don't worry about how good your creations come out, that's not the point. The point is to let your creative side open parts of your brain & soul that let's you tap into spirit. There are so many websites & Youtube videos for wiccan crafts you could easily find something. Even if it's super simple things like painting runes on some rocks. Try it and let me know if it helps. Goddess Bless!<3
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Thanks for your unique advice, Dphoenix! :)
I can be kind of creative and good at crafts when I really sit down and try. Doing some sort of craft in relation to my studies sound like a wonderful time to do thinking and reflecting about why I'm doing what I am. I'll look into it and try it sometime soon. xx

DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Veronica_Rose wrote:Thanks for your unique advice, Dphoenix! :)
I can be kind of creative and good at crafts when I really sit down and try. Doing some sort of craft in relation to my studies sound like a wonderful time to do thinking and reflecting about why I'm doing what I am. I'll look into it and try it sometime soon. xx
Absolutely! You could learn some book binding techniques and make your own BoS or Book of Mirrors, craft a wand, make your own rune set, make some ceremonial jewelry... the sky is the limit and you can find soooooo many quick and easy craft ideas that you can turn around and put a spin on. (also little tip, craft supplies are crazy cheap on ebay but they come from china so you have to wait a month or two to get them).
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Ash

Post by Ash »

What sort of things really made you want to start looking into the Craft again? I'd say start there, and then try to find books or writings on the topics that caught your attention. Once you've started down a path of being interested in a specific topic, like ritual magick or divination, it's easy to start following the rabbit hole and just trying out things you are drawn to. If you feel a connection with something, write it down in a Book of Shadows, and you'll have a better picture of where your Path is in no time. (:

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”