How can I find my magical name please help

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
WaterBorn

How can I find my magical name please help

Post by WaterBorn »

So I started Wicca 4 years ago and I have done what I can to stay true to the teachings though I have not performed a ritual in some time due to lack of funds and means to gather supplies. Here recently Ive thought about what is my magical name ive been told to just come up with one but im too self critical and find some flaw in every name I think of. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated and also numerology does not appeal to me and that is why I have not went with that method. Blessed be
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: How can I find my magical name please help

Post by AdastraJunction »

Meditation is usually a good method with much success.
River SilverWolf

Post by River SilverWolf »

I don't use many tools honestly. I like a simple candle and maybe some music. I use a lot of visualization. I have a good imagination and meditate and visualize the ritual or thoughts instead of going crazy worrying about buying a lot of tools. As long as the intention is there I believe it will work.
As for the magical name i received mine through meditating and connecting with the Goddess. However she did make me work for it! lol!
It took awhile before I got the full name too. Once it started piecing together it just felt right.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

The only tools you need is your imagination, your strength, and your finger !
All the rest will fall in in time, don't push it; when you push, you loose vital
information. May I suggest you play around with your screen name you use
here ? Maybe then your craft name may start to show itself...eventually :)
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Some people adopt preexisting names or they try to come up with one from scratch. If you have a patron deity, or are at least planning to work with a specific deity or two, you could adopt Their name as a way to honor Them. One small suggestion before doing this though, is to ask the deity in question first. To some, taking on the name of a god is frowned upon, as it can be seen as trying to place oneself at the same level as the gods. To others, it's no big deal and they have yet to be struck down by lightening as a result. Another method is to take one's name from that of a plant, stone, animal, etc.. Colors are often taken in consideration as well. You can also ask for a name to come to you in a dream or during meditation.
If you're still stumped, why not try a name generator? Just type "pagan name generator" into Google or any other search engine, and you'll get about 66,400 results. That's quite a bit of potential. :D The Pagan Name Generator, though not very serious, is quite a blast to play around with. For example, if I wanted to change my name right now, using The Pagan Name Generator I could be: Cassandra Moonfire Axel. ;)
As for tools, I can easily reiterate what the others have said, because it's quite true. Instead I'll just share links to other helpful areas of the forum. :)
What if I Don't Have an Ingredient or Tool that I Need?
Witchcraft on a Budget: an Introduction
Suggestions for Low Budget Witchcraft
Intro to Candle Magic on a Budget, by Echo
Gray Pool

Post by Gray Pool »

One day it will just come to you, I was translating names into latin on google when I found "wind" and "spirit", mixed those two together and it just felt all sorts of right!
Omnitheist. Caracal and pronghorn therian (if you have questions, ask please). Haven't found my specialty yet.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

I came to my name Dorothy Phoenix, due to the course of my life. My birth name is Dorothy (which means gift of god), so I kept it as I do believe I have gifts from the Goddess to share with the world. Phoenix I chose because I have risen from the ashes from my life time and time again. The name doesn't have to choose you, you can choose your name based on things that inspire you within your path and resonate with your soul. Good luck & Goddess Bless! <3
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
JonnyRoXXX

Post by JonnyRoXXX »

My display name is not my craft name, but mine came to me one night while meditating on it. I eventually built it to something I liked. It takes time. When I was starting out, and in the fluff bunny stage, I used it for everything. MySpace name, painted it on notebooks, the whole nine yards. Than I realized that the world doesn't need to know some things.

I guess I got Nightwing from my love of the night, and my intense love of flying. Fits me well
We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the worlds been turning- Billy Joel
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

What do you like ?
Is there a name you would have rather been named ?
What about your personality is there something you
can borrow from that for a name ?
I always wanted twin girls and had their names picked
out long ago; I took my craft name from them.
Look around you, there are lots of names, words, and
the like you can borrow from ! Have from and good luck !
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

WaterBorn

Post by WaterBorn »

I believe I have the beginnings of my name a friend of mine recommended ash to be a part of the name since I wanted something that represented destruction or tragedy but also healing or growth so ash fits both since its created by the destruction of something but is used as fertilizer to help plants grow. I also wanted to add a fallen in the name as well as angel plus it being in latin so I came up with lapsus angelus cinis. I dont know is this is what I will stay with but thank you all for the advice it really did help me.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Phoenix-ash ?
or vise-versa ?

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”