Correspondences

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Ravenstar

Correspondences

Post by Ravenstar »

Do I do spells according to the days of the week, moon phases or the zodic signs? Blessings. :flyingwitch:
Siona

Re: Correspondences

Post by Siona »

Honestly, it depends a bit on who you ask, but in my opinion it's all optional. If you have a need to do a spell, do can do it as soon as you're able. Or, you can time a spell to the moon phase, day of the week, heck right down to the hour, if doing so would help you focus your intent. If these things don't have meaning to you, then I would not really bother with them.

I say this because so many people/cultures have different ideas about what should be done when. Take the new moon, for example, some say any magic or rituals done at this time would be ineffective, some say it's a time of new beginnings, but in other cultures what we think of as the new moon is actually seen as the end of the moon cycle (with the new crescent the beginning), so they use it as a time to wrap up old business and such. Three different ideas, and none are really wrong, so long as they make sense to each person. I see moon phases, days, color, numbers, etc, as all somewhat fluid - they can help us focus our intent if we find meaning in these things, but if they don't it might not really do anything.

Again, others of course see it differently, and they might plan all their spells quite carefully, and if it works for them that's all that really matters. It's all really up to the individual.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Not every witch weaves spells from sympathetic correspondences. Correspondences are extra little boosts of power, but it's the will that is the true power behind spells. :wink:
If your need is great, go ahead and do perform a spell right on the spot. Let's say that you're hurt. It isn't going to help much if you've got to wait another 2 weeks for the full moon to perform any magick. It won't hurt to do a spell now, and then maybe another spell when the moon is full.
Some spells do suggest timing, but that's based off of the author's experience. The author is simply going by what works best for them. Likewise, much of our personal paths should be based on what works for us individually. When you start out, work with the things an author suggests. After some practice and experience, you'll start to notice what works for you and what doesn't. It's a trial and error process. Pretty soon you'll have a list of things that work for you, and maybe there will be things that work for you alone. That's OK.
Pick one method of timing and try it out for a bit. Take notes. Did it work? Try again. Keep what works and eliminate what doesn't.
Good luck. :)
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I dont think it's necessary and not every one works with correspondences. I do sometimes and think of them as extra little power boosts to my spell. If anything I follow the moon cycle, and if I can wait till the right phase to work then I will. I dont bother with the days of the week. But its not crucial. If you need to do a spell right now and the moon/date/etc doesnt line up it wont hinder your work.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

We can work spells intuitively if we trust our own sensory processors. Natural magic comes from a relationship with our surroundings & the genius loci, spirit of the place. Personally, I can visually observe the Moon's effect on ocean tides & my back yard gardening so by extension it makes sense for me to take advantage of the Lunar influence because I see a connection. And the moon is there day or night, cloudy or clear. Folk magic practices will copy Nature whenever it's known. In sympathetic magic like-effects-like & what worked for cavemen drawing bison on a cave wall to aid the hunt still works for us, but now-a-days people use correspondences instead of bison :) , but it's the same idea. Week-day riming draws on planetary energies of you relate to that. It's flexible. Use what you relate to and make sense of. No one's tied to a method.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”