Just Beginning and Feeling Lost

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
oceansong

Just Beginning and Feeling Lost

Post by oceansong »

Hello!

I have recently started researching Wicca after having a lifelong fascination with it, but I find myself feeling... out of the loop (for lack of a better term). Often, in my research I find all too often that resources seem to be written for people who are already in the know. They use terminology or reference people in ways that make it seem like they are universally known and I'm left feeling quite daft because I'm in the dark. Did anyone else find this to be true? Am I just overwhelmed and letting my timidity interfere with my perception? In either case, can anyone point me to resources that are trustworthy and don't take that approach? All too often I find that the resources that don't do that don't seem entirely too trustworthy (I'm sorry, but when you cite Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer as your spirit guide I tend to be a bit dubious).

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm really excited to be embarking on this journey!
Siona

Re: Just Beginning and Feeling Lost

Post by Siona »

I actually had the opposite problem for quite a while, where I found that most sources just went over the same basic introductory material, and it was had to find material that went into more depth - especially regarding Wicca. Which isn't to say there isn't a lot of information out there, there is (even if it can be repetitive at times), and that can be overwhelming at first. I don't know if you're looking more online or at books, but a couple of good books on Wicca for a beginner are "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham, and "Wicca for Beginners" by Thea Sabin.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Willow was definitely an entertaining character. As a role model? That's debatable. Alyson Hannigan had a script and more than one shot at getting it right. I have used Scott Cunningham's books as resources. I found them helpful. I've also attended metaphysical fairs and talked to people there.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
oceansong

Post by oceansong »

Thank you to both of you! I will certainly check out those books/authors!!

I have been finding a lot of repetition as well. It seems a lot of resources are very broad and tend to talk in circles or very specific and seem almost exclusive in their explanations, if that makes any sense.

I'm lucky enough to live very close to a town with multiple Wicca/Witchcraft/Occult supply and bookstores. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some sort of a fair or something similiar as well. That's a great suggestion.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've found the "For Dummies" and "Idiot's Guide" books to be useful starting points to learn the jargon & basic concepts of their subjects. They have Wicca or Witchcraft titles available amongst many other useful topics like potions, alchemy & physics. Craft author's recycle the main themes but few explain "why" a thing is done the way it's done so we have to intuit the reasons & connections.

Idiot's Guide to Wicca & Witchcraft is available as a free pdf at Witch’s community site slabs research library
https://witches.community/page/books

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”