Candle Magick

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Luna Bathory

Re: Candle magick

Post by Luna Bathory »

Awesome, thank you so much for the informative thread.
I was curious if there is a thread, I have been trying to use the search function, that talks about ways to bless candles, such as, anointing them with oil, carving symbols into them, and preparing them for rituals or everyday burning?
If not, I would love some more information on the subject and I think the Candle Magick thread is perfect for this discussion.

Thank you guys.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Hey, Luna, I'm glad you like the thread.
To answer your question, I don't think there is anything about blessing and anointing here. So, I'll try and add some info on the subject.

And here we go:
1. Indication - when working with candles, it's always a good thing to use a particular candle only for one ritual. This has been discussed over and over, so there are different beliefs on the subject, but my personal view is that you put your intention and energy in the candle, so using it again for another thing is probably not the best idea. So anyway, you can make some sort of indication on the candle you are to use by inscribing the purpose of the ritual or a word that describes your intention. You can practically use anything to do that, but it's a good thing to use your imagination - like a rose thorn for attracting love or a nail for protection and so on.

2. Writing names If the spell is to be done to/about a certain person, it's a good thing to inscribe his/her name on the candle. There are few important things that need to be clarified - if you are trying to attract a person, the name should be written bottom side - up. If to repel - upside - down. If it's to help a person, to make something come to them, you need to write it in a spiral motion around the whole candle, depending on the size of the candle maybe several times.

3. Writing symbols/signs Well, there isn't really much to say about this, it's pretty clear. I often times inscribe sigils on my candles and they work great (try researching sigil magick, there is a great thread about it here).

4. Dressing/anointing the candles First of all, you need to choose your oil. There is a lot of info about the different oils on the internet, so basically you choose what's right for your purpose. Again, if you are trying to attract something, you anoint from the bottom to the top and if to repel - from the top to the bottom. Anointing in spiral motion is for influencing different circumstances. Some people anoint the candles starting from the middle - again to attract middle to top and then to bottom, to repel - middle to bottom and then to top. There are others, who would dip their hands and start "twisting" the candle to anoint it. It's really up to you - what works best for you. I, myself usually anoint the first way I described, but if you find any of the other ways work better for you, there isn't a rule of how to do it.

5. Adding herbs Well, to be fair, I usually add my herbs in the candles while making them, but not everyone makes their candles, so after your candle is anointed, you take your mortar and mix the herbs you need. Then roll the candle in them.

6. Dust, powders This is the last thing to be added. If you are using any powder in your spell, the way to put it on the candle is not to apply it, but you put the powder/dust on your palm and blow it against the candle.

7. Blessing Well, this is something you should create yourself. I mean, once you know the purpose of your ritual, ask your God/Goddess to bless the candle or maybe you bless it with your intention, or ask the elements or basically just what feels right.

So, I hope this helps clarify things a little. It's actually totally up to you if you want to bless, anoint, inscribe candles. I like the process of it, but sometimes don't have the time to prepare, so I only do one. But it's great fun to take all the steps because when you do, you already have a very powerful tool that is soaked with the intention of the spell.
Luna Bathory

Post by Luna Bathory »

YanaKhan, thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge. Very informative. :mrgreen:
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

You are very welcome :)
L.J.Hex

Re: Candle Magick

Post by L.J.Hex »

Thank yo so much for this thread. I copied a lot of this stuff to be added in my BoS. I'm very much into candle magick and this thread sure cleared few things for me. Thank you. :)
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”