Disposing of Tools After Use

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Obsidian

Disposing of Tools After Use

Post by Obsidian »

Dear all,

I have a question about what to do with certain spell ingredients after use. For instance, I recently cast a spell to help me get a job I want; it required red paper and some bay leaves and after I used these things I threw them in the bin but somehow this doesn't feel right.

I like the idea of keeping and re-using ingredients but I have read a few spells (not this one but others) where it says to use a certain object for that one and only spell. I've also heard of keeping things as they are so as not to disturb the spell e.g. mojo bags and amulets but I may run out of space if I try to shelve everything I ever use in a spell.

So basically I would appreciate any advice regarding what to do with indigents after use. Is there a proper way of disposing of things? I get the feeling that different rules apply to different spells and ingredients so I would appreciate any advice or rules of thumb about this.

Thanks in advance.
Garnetsun

Re: Disposing of tools after use

Post by Garnetsun »

Hello !

I'm beside Phoenix on this one. Many believes that burying perishable tools -papers which are essentially burned if used in a spell or ritual, leaves, or even food as offerings- is a good way to dispose of them. It may be linked to the cycle of life, and return to the earth; but it also allow them to be cleansed and charged again.
It also goes with more... common tools, such as gems, stones, or your even your athame or wand! Burying used tools to cleanse them again is one way to go. Different cleansing rituals exists though, if you don't have access to a bit of earth.

But also, you may decided what is right for you. Using the bin isn't, per se, the good way to go. Recycle more natural elements of your rituals and spells, either by putting them to earth again, or find a new way to use them, that goes with their correspondance. Like for your job spell, using the paper as a trinket on your desk may be a good idea.
but utilmately, everything go out of magickal energy, and some are not meant to be re-used again.
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.
supercatgirl

Post by supercatgirl »

where i live we have different bins for things, one for kitchen waste, ones for recyling paper and one for garabage
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Some spells do tell you whether or not to dispose of tools, and how to do so if such is required. However, not all spells tell you this, so that means the options are up to you. To determine how to dispose of or even reuse and item, you might want to consider what impact the items would have on the environment. You might also want to take your own feelings into consideration as well. If something feels "wrong," whether it is how tools are disposed of, the ingredients a spell calls for, who to worship, etc., you don't have to do it.
So, for your case, dear, if throwing tools in the bin doesn't feel right, that's ok. Different tools can be disposed of or reused in different ways. Take your time and find out what feels right to you. Phoenix and Garnetsun both gave some good suggestions. Who knows, you might come up with something the rest of us haven't thought of yet. :wink:
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Thanks all, I'm liking the idea of burning certain things like paper and cleansing and re-using some things like crystals.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

I am in total agreement here with the previous responses. Many spells will state what to do with these tools. Many asking you to burn them or even bury them. If you do not feel right I would suggest to perform the spell again and then with the paper either burn or bury it letting the magick finish its work itself. I hope this helps you. Blessed Be.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Obsidian wrote:Thanks all, I'm liking the idea of burning certain things like paper and cleansing and re-using some things like crystals.
In the end it's your journey and you should do what resonates and feels right for you.

When I use paper in a spell I usually burn it. Sometimes I'll burn incense in my little cast iron cauldron then burn the paper in the cauldron with it. When I'm done I'll scatter the ash to the wind releasing the spell out into the Universe to do it's work. Depending on the crystal and nature of a spell I may reuse it, bury it or throw it in a stream.

I don't like reusing half burned candles or incense since they're heavily charged with the intention of the spell (though plenty of witches do reuse them without any problems so it's really a matter of preference). I usually throw them away. The less residual energy after a spell the better. So anything that you do not get rid of needs to be cleansed thoroughly & any excess energy needs to be grounded. :)
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

PhoenixFlight wrote:
DPhoenix wrote: When I'm done I'll scatter the ash to the wind releasing the spell out into the Universe to do it's work.
Do you have any particular chant, saying, etc that you say while letting it go? It seems wired to me when I just let ashes fall into the water and watch them go, so in this sense, I've been trying to find a better way to do it. Thoughts?
If you feel the urge to say a chant or to speak a few words then go with it. I know sometimes its easier to have someone lay out detailed instructions but in my experience the most potent magick comes from spontaneity. When you feel Spirit moving through you, flow with the creative force instead of sticking to a rigid ritual. Magick afteral is the process of creation. Taking a thought, turning it into a desire, focusing your intent and then following through with actions you are inspired to take. You are the painter and the spell is your canvas. Don't be afraid to be creative & express yourself.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

PhoenixFlight wrote:I see, I see. Well, thank you for that. It's usually how I do things, but I was curious, and had to ask lolz. Compared to other peoples' traditions and spells that they use on here, it just seemed a bit different, though I do know that tradition and eclectic are two different beasts to try to understand.
We are an eclectic bunch here. :)

If you join a coven or adhere to a specific tradition you may want to conform to their format for spells. I have a circle casting ritual, drawing down the moon, saluting the God & Witch's Rune that I was taught I use from time to time but I find that improvising and letting my creativity flow is much more potent then quoting verses word for word.

In the end it's always a good idea to go with what resonates with you... but you sound like you've already got that part figured out. :wink2:
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Thanks everyone, I've returned with a similar question. Does anyone have any suggestions for disposing of worry dolls? I was thinking of thanking them one final time and burying them, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything specific about them. They're originally from Guatemala so if we have any Guatemalans among us or anyone familiar with Latin American witchcraft I'd be interested to hear your opinion. Worry dolls are basically little people so I don't see them as tools so I feel I should do something a little more 'humane' when disposing of them. I'm definitely not going to burn them.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have worry dolls too, but they are in some little container of their own, generally speaking you assign the doll your worry and put them back in the container to do the work. I think they can be reused and reused.
I wanted to comment on your original post, I have a ton of little spells like the one you spoke of, nearly all of them are made with biodegradable stuff, so some get hung in a tree, some get buried in the ground, some get burned, some go downstream, some are placed in various areas in the house, but for everything else, I have a ceramic cauldron I made in my college ceramic course, and I place them in there to do the work. Some of spells are really long term, so this houses them well. I have never decommissioned a stone to do other work. If a stone is to be used I will choose one that I am ok with leaving in the spell, but grounding items is the best way to let their energy run back into the earth,
( a moon cycle is a good length of time) then you can re-program them.
Your title says tools, which makes me think of think of things like the cup, blade, pentacle etc...those Items should be grounded like I described above if you wish to let them go. Then gift them to a friend, give to Good-Will, or :shock: throw them away.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Thanks, I hadn't considered gifting or donating certain things.
Yep, worry dolls can be reused over and over but I've had mine for years and they're getting a bit worn. I place mine under my pillow for the night after I've told them the worry as per the instructions they came with.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”