A Year and a Day: What Should You Study?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Altairtigris

Your year and a day.

Post by Altairtigris »

When do you consider that you've started this? I haven't put anything into practice, but after lots of notes and soul searching I can see the beginning of the path I'm taking. I see all I've done ( over the years, but more intensely over the past few months) as preparation rather than actual practise.
PaganSerpent

Re: Your year and a day.

Post by PaganSerpent »

From what I've read, a year and a day usually begins with a known start date and known end date. Sometimes people will hold a small ritual, stating their intent to study for a year and a day. Doesn't have to be that way. Its going to be different from witch to witch.

I've been looking into paganism off and on for the past several years, but I'm going to start my year and a day this Samhain.
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

That's what I was considering doing too. I'm sure I saw a ritual on this forum somewhere, just need to try and find it again :D
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I always thought it was more figurative than literal, a way to separate out people who weren't serious about witchcraft - lots of people might be really interested in witchcraft at first, and then peter out, but if you're still studying it a year later, that means you might really be onto something, spiritually. I didn't tell anyone what I was studying until at least a year into my studies, but I didn't really consciously follow the year-and-a-day rule at all with a start date and an end date.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Klia

Post by Klia »

Will you be using a book for your year and a day?

Most people I've come across online started on samhain but it's ultimately up to you. It's definitely a dedication.
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

I'll be using a book of my own making as I go along, or did you mean a book like Christopher Penczak? I don't want to follow a book as such, as I'd feel restricted.
DPhoenix

Re: One Year And A Day Study.

Post by DPhoenix »

samcpack wrote:I am wanting to begin my one year and A day study "officially" tomorrow. I've been studying the art of "natural" witchcraft for a year already and now that I've developed my own thoughts and processes on many aspects of being a witch I'm ready to actually dive in, commit, and begin to earn my title. I'm just not 100% on exactly what all I should cover within my year. I would much appreciate any advice or wisdom on the craft in general and especially on my year study.
Thanks to you and blessed be.
First off, LOVE the forum avatar!

My recommendation would be the following:

If you're studying Wicca
Know who Gerald Gardner is and why he's significant in Wicca
Have a general knowledge of the more well known traditions of Wicca (Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Dianic, Faery) know who their founders are and what they stand for
Know the significance of the God & Goddess
Study some Gods & Goddesses to find a pair that resonate with you, this will be important later in your journey as far as deciding who to dedicate yourself to and work with for spells & rituals
Learn the holidays from the wheel of the year and their significance (Esbats, Sabbats, Equinoxes, Solstices etc)

For Wicca/Witchcraft
Learn how to meditate and become good at different techniques (for cleansing, releasing energy, grounding, building up energy etc)
Know what the witch's tools are, their significance/correspondences and how to use them
Learn how to cast a circle for protection during spells & rituals
Learn correspondences of the moon phases, colors/candles, herbs & crystals (you don't have to memorize them but have a list in your book of shadows or something handy to refer to)

I know it may seem like a lot but if you work on it a little bit each day you'll be surprised how fast you grow &learn. And of course if you have any questions feel free to ask us!

I may be forgetting some things but hopefully someone will notice and post what I'm missing.

Good Luck & Goddess Bless! <3
-DPhoenix
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

Great advice, I'm starting mine too so it's good to have a few guidelines to work with. It can be overwhelming.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Altairtigris wrote:Great advice, I'm starting mine too so it's good to have a few guidelines to work with. It can be overwhelming.
If you keep browsing the forums and asking questions you'll be a pro in no time! ;)
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

I am. People must be sick of seeing my name popping up in all the threads :D I've learnt so much from you all over the past few days.Plus the forum is pinned to the front of my phone, so I often pop in for a browse. People here must think I never sleep the amount of time I spend here :D
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Altairtigris wrote:I am. People must be sick of seeing my name popping up in all the threads :D I've learnt so much from you all over the past few days.Plus the forum is pinned to the front of my phone, so I often pop in for a browse. People here must think I never sleep the amount of time I spend here :D
Heehee! It's all good, don't be afraid to ask questions but it's usually a good idea to do a search in the forums first since it may take a little while for someone to get back to you. (I go through phases when all I do is read & post here too!)
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
Nettles

Post by Nettles »

Haha, I started on samhain too! I wonder if that just happens unconsciously.
It was after years and years of soul searching when I finally I felt I was serious enough to really commit to study the ways. I also think it's a trick to see who is serious with their promise and that's why it might be a good idea to mark the date.
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

I too began this Year and a Day on Samhain, after quite some time of reading and researching around. As it is a date of renewal, and the new year, many can find it fitting to do it then. And it is easy to remember too ! But to help myself, I've chosen to write in a book what I feel and learn during this year. To remember that time more clearly, and be more active in my research.
I believe that it is used not only to see whom is not that serious about dedicating themselves, but also to allow us to find a path we truly find oursevles in. Of course, everything can change during our years of practising, everything and everyone evovlve; but this study allow us time to find our path, what fit us and what don't, and to really be able to dedicate ourselves to this path. It is a path in itself, maybe an self-iniation too. Another road to take before the big one begin !
I think it more... whole, than just seperating the people who are serious about it, and those who aren't. :)
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.
FoundMyCalling

A Year and a Day: What Should You Study?

Post by FoundMyCalling »

Hello fellow witches and male witches,

I decided to start my year and a day of studying, but I would really appreciate the help you could give. I also have some questions. What books would be best to start reading for beginners? Is it okay to do spells and rituals during the year and a day of studying? For meditation I could go outside but there is snow and it gets cold fast, would it be okay to meditate inside? What websites would you recommend to learn more about Wicca? Do you know a good way to meditate?

So lots of questions but I really feel this is for me and I want to learn everything I can. Any other advice is welcome to. Please and thank you.

Have A Blessed day, :fairy:

FoundMyCalling :flyingwitch:
Aceso

Re: I'm starting my year and a day of studying, I need some

Post by Aceso »

Welcome and I too am starting my studies as well. I was given as a gift " To Ride a Silver Broomstick:New Generation" by Silver Raven Wolf. I love it. Other here will give you great recommendations. I wish you a great journey.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”