Recommended Wiccan Books

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Firefly Dancer

Recommended Wiccan Books

Post by Firefly Dancer »

Hello all

I am a newbie in terms of Wicca as I just started studying some months ago... even if many events and ways I used to act since childhood I am sure I had a strong calling to Wicca which was not discovered before :wink:

I have been reading and studying and so far I have read all the Scott Cunningham books, plus the Spiral Dance and the Holy Book of Women Mysteries. I am a solitary and also attracted to the Hedge witch style.

Would you kindly recommend some other books that you liked that can cover a more intermediate level of learning ? so far I think I am clear on the basics and history of Wicca, and I would like to have some new information on a second degree if we can call it that.

Thanks for your help !

BB
Firefly.
Althara

Re: Recommend Wiccan books

Post by Althara »

Hi Firefly!

If you like hedgewitchery, I recommend Rae Beth's "Hedge Witch: Guide to Solitary Witchcraft".
You might like Ann Moura's Green Witch series - she's a bit ritual-heavy, but integrates herbs and herb lore into pretty much every part of the practice.

BB
Althara
Firefly Dancer

Post by Firefly Dancer »

Thank you very much for your recommendations Althara. I will definitively look for these books.

I am a bit in between Wiccan paths right now. I used to think I was tending more to Dianic, and although it is pretty empowering to women, there are few aspects I am not 100% a Dianic, then I started reading more on Faery, but also some points are not entirely under my same point of view. I checked Hedge and so far I like it, but there is not the same amount of info like other traditions.

In the end, probably taking a bit from everywhere and tailor make my own should work.....
lilmizsunshine727

Post by lilmizsunshine727 »

Merry Meet Firefly :)

The books I have found to be the most useful are

"Wicca for Beginners" by Thea Sabin
ISBN-13: 978-0-7387-0751-8
ISBN-10: 0-7387-0751-1

"A Witch Alone" by Marian Green
ISBN 1 85538 112 5

"Celebrating Wiccan Spirituality" by Lady Sabrina
ISBN 1-56414-593-X

"Wicca The Complete Craft" by D.J. Conway
ISBN-13: 978-1-58091-092-7
ISBN-10: 1-58091-092-0

(although the last book is a little biased toward other religions, so you have to be careful with that one. He has a tendency to "slam" beliefs that aren't his. Just remember- any book you read is like a teacher. They will all have their different opinions on which way is best to do something, even if they are all teaching the same thing.)
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none. -William Shakespeare
lilmizsunshine727

Also, there is a website that has been extraordinarily helpful to me. http://magickaschool.com/ you can do a free membership or a a paid one, whichever is better for you :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

oooh, Lil,... DJ Conway is a woman, and the author of a bunch of books, one...Celtic magic, is pretty good...
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
AariadaWillow

Post by AariadaWillow »

Check out Ellen Dugan
lilmizsunshine727

lol my bad :p the way she writes has a "male" feel to it..I havent read her Celtic Magic book, I do like her Complete Craft book even if it is a little..I guess the word is biased. She makes some good points on some topics
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

ya know,...I totally thought she was a guy the first few books of hers I read...oh well..
check out anything by Doreen Valiente... Blessings!
and Aariada...had not heard of Ellen Dugan, so I checked out her website...don't recognize any of her books, BUT the subject matter that seems to be her speciality (green witchcraft) is right up my alley...gonna have to go to the bookstore loveface Bye for now! Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
polarbird27

Post by polarbird27 »

You should try the Wicca Handbook by Eileen Holland. It's a good rice if you get it as an ebook
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Recommended Wiccan Books

Post by SpiritTalker »

A Study of Witchcraft - A Guidebook to Advanced Wicca by Deborah Lipp & Isaac Bonewits (both author's are well versed)
Advanced Witchcraft -Go Deeper, Fly Higher by Edain McCoy (she has matured from her earlier writing style)
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Wicca:
  • Living Wicca + Wicca for the solitary by Scott Cunningham

Witchcraft for Tomorrow + Natural Magic + ABCs of Witchcraft by Doreen Valiente

The Good Witch's Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrar

Solitary Wicca for life by Murphy-Hiscock

Books about witchcraft, but not focused on Wicca that are useful:
  • Aradia or the Gospel of Witches by C.Leland

Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson

A complete illustrated encyclopedia on witchcraft and practical magic by Airey and Greenwood
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
GroundedDancer

Post by GroundedDancer »

Truthfully, I have read lots of books on Wicca practice and while they've all been helpful, I've found that I don't lean to any specific practice of Wicca. Rather, I like to focus on what feels natural and right for me, which includes setting basic spells and rituals, and letting my ancestors/instinct tell me how to do things. I feel its more important than following rules and steps set by people I don't know or have a connection to.

Anyway, I would recommend "Witch: Unleashed. Untamed. Unapologetic." By Lisa Lister. It's a great book that focuses on enabling your own personal abilities while connecting to the greater sources (whatever/whoever you may believe them to be). She is not Wiccan specific, and describes herself as more eclectic and borrowing from various traditions. I think its a great starter piece, especially if you are still finding your way.

Hope it helps! :D
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

I’ve read a LOT of books but the only one that stands out to me is Confessions Of A Teen Witch: Celebrating the Wiccan Life by Gwinevere Rain.

I’m currently reading Wicca: A Guide To Modern Magick and Witchcraft by Harmony Nice.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've watched a number of Harmony Nice's videos. After you've finished & digested her book I hope you'll come back and a give a review of it. I'd like to know more about it.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”