The Witch's Creed

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Myrth

Re: The Witch's Creed

Post by Myrth »

Interesting. I am not Wiccan, but there are aspects of this that fit me. However, being very nature-season oriented, I am more focused on the solstices and equinoxes and full moons. I tend to view the in-between celebrations as the minor ones.
Myrth
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Bumping to save
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

Beautiful poem!

But...I'm having some difficulty understanding the Witch's Rede: An' it harm none, do what thy will.

...Isn't that kind of almost-too-ridiculously-hard-to-abide-by? LOL

Everything harms something else through it's very nature to survive. Plants harm through all sorts of toxic and poisonous means, and animals harm through hunting and foraging, as do the humans, for truly, we're just another animal in this beautiful jungle of life; not better than or worse than any of the other creatures that scurry across the ground, or creepy-crawly-slithery-thing, or the beasts of the field. halfsm

...And our eyes are facing forward...as do the eyes of any carnivorous apex predator, like a wolf, unlike the eyes of herbivorous prey-animals, like a DEER lol. :lol:

...THE DEITIES OF NATURE HAVE SPOKEN, my dearest brothers and sisters! blue_laugh
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

Also, what about all the times a guy grabbed my booty and I slapped them? Would that be considered "harm"? Wouldn't it be MORE harmful if I did nothing and let them go on thinking that was an okay way to behave until they came across someone who don't let that shizzit fly and does something far worse than slap them??? :lol: (I may be stretching just a little but you get my point lol. :tongueout: )

Face it, sometimes little boys and girls just need a SPANKING...with varying levels of severity...there's some folks who I feel just plain need to DIE lmao. ....And I'm pretty sure the gods would agree with me! :D
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

The Witches rede (a rede is council or advice not instruction, rule or 'law').

Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill, An it harm none do what ye will.

This is attributed to Doreen Valiente, known as the mother of modern witchcraft.

It is similar to - some may postulate a response to - the often misquoted and misunderstood thelemeic maxim proposed by Alistair Crowley
'Do what you will is all of the Law; love is the law, love under will'.

The wiccan rede essencially says - If you want to do something and it doesn't do either you or anyone else any harm then be free - live free - and do it.

But if it does do harm to yourself or others, best consider it really careful because you reap what you sew.

Not being a wiccan (in the truest sense of the word; relating to Gardners craft and - originally - Doreen Valientes) I have found any practicing witch can follow that sage advice but follow the more recent consideration

If it harms none, do what you will. If it harms, do what you must. You reap what you sew

Until now I have never heard of the wiccan creed this side of the pond, but 'wicca' as a more generalised thing evolved from Scott Cumninghams 'My Wicca' I believe and has greater state-side traction.
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

Corbin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:32 am The Witches rede (a rede is council or advice not instruction).

Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill, An it harm none do what ye will.

This is attributed to Doreen Valiente.

It is similar to - some may postulate a response to - the often misquoted and misunderstood thelemeic maxim proposed by Alistair Crowley
'Do what you will is all of the Law; love is the law, love under will'.

The wiccan rede essencially says - If you want to do something and it doesn't do either you or anyone else any harm then be free - live free - and do it.

But if it does do harm to yourself or others, best consider it really careful because you reap what you sew.

Not being a wiccan (in the truest sense of the word; relating to Gardners craft and - originally - Doreen Valientes) I have found any practicing witch can follow that sage advice but follow the more recent consideration

If it harms none, do what you will. If it harms, do what you must. You reap what you sew

Until now I have never heard of the wiccan creed this side of the pond, but 'wicca' as a more generalised thing evolved from Scott Cumninghams 'My Wicca' I believe and has greater state-side traction.
Thanks for the info; I definitely believe in the reap what you sow part. If I understand correctly, that's essentially the Law of Attraction. What you put out into the universe will come back to you in some form. Send out positive vibes/vibrations then positive things are more likely to happen and vice versa with the negative end of the spectrum. I kinda think planets and other celestial bodies and cosmological phenomena play a role as well as numerology; the energies of different bodies in space interacting with each other and creating new vibrations which ring out through the Universe. Basically like how people get a little wild around the Full Moon due to it's gravitational pull on Earth's oceans and human bodies being like 80% water or whatever; seems kinda silly to think we might not be affected by different forces and energies in the Universe lol.

Basically where I was going with that is that because everything is essentially energy at it's core and everything is connected causing vibrations to also bounce back to the source, reaping what you sow is easy enough to understand, but I also think it's possible to sorta play around with that a little bit using astrology and numerology to determine the best times for doing something perhaps morally grey that you don't feel like feeling the effects of later LOL. If the timing is right, your energy will get so mixed up in the ether with all the other energies that you'll never suffer the karmic backlash, mwahaha...

....Am I EVIL for even being able to come up with something like that? :twisted:

....I don't think I am; I'm a utilitarian lol. Time and a place for everything! goodnevil

Or I could be totally wrong about how karma works lol. I just like trying my best to put everything into a scientific framework of some kind so that I can make sense of it and don't sound too-awfully-crazy lmao. XD
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

But yeah, I like to think there are loopholes of various kinds....sometimes ya just kinda need one lol.

F'sure though; it's best to try to avoid harming anything as much as possible, but acknowledge that it's not always possible due to the inherent conditions of Nature. :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think Nature has endowed all it’s blood-creatures with a means of camouflage, shield, fight or flight to do as thou will but take no shit.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

It's a good idea when looking at 'Karma' to forget everything Western civilisation has come to suppose 'karma' is - what has become its 'pop' (popular) or common usage - and go directly to Eastern sources.

In essence, karma isn't some huge invisible vengeful god, waiting in the wings to reward you for being good or punish them (see what I did there) for being bad. That's the Western conception of the tyrant / parent / god archetype with 'karma' painted in crude red paint on his ass.

The originative concept of Karma is more like a mechanism of a functioning universe, it has no opinion or personality to make judgements on actions, just mechanisms of checks and balances to bring things back to an equilibrium.
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

Corbin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:47 pm The originative concept of Karma is more like a mechanism of a functioning universe, it has no opinion or personality to make judgements on actions, just mechanisms of checks and balances to bring things back to an equilibrium.
That's kinda how I see karma too; as less of an intelligence, and more of a force of nature. Like throwing a rock into a pond and watching the ripples emanate from the point of impact across the rest of the pond. It ain't God, it's just plain old Physics lol. :D
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

SpiritTalker wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:01 pm I think Nature has endowed all it’s blood-creatures with a means of camouflage, shield, fight or flight to do as thou will but take no shit.
Hmmm, I love the poetry of that, it's real beautiful, but I dunno if I agree lol. Look at snails for example: Many are brightly colored with little to no camouflage, their shells are super brittle and fragile, they're one of the slowest creatures on Earth, and they have not even any legs or arms with which to defend themselves with.....I don't think Nature really cares about us! XD We're simply in it for the long haul and have to work with her as best we can.

One day in the future though, Nature is just gonna shake us off the surface of the Earth like a bad case of fleas lol.

A surface nuisance. :P

Nature isn't kind and loving and thoughtful or has any real interest in giving anything to us or taking anything away; it simply "is". A completely, utterly, and irrevocably neutral party lol. Nature's on her own side; not ours or any other blood-creatures. She's just tolerating us for now, and it's gonna be Biblical when she decides we gotta go lol. XD
Eleanora

Post by Eleanora »

We're kinda like symbiotic parasites when it comes to Nature. :)

Like a whalesucker, or one of those birds that sits on the backs of hippos and pecks at the bugs crawling all over it's skin, to the point the bird actually starts pecking into the hippo, causing a bloody wound, causing the hippo to shake it off. It had a mutually beneficial partnership for a while, but then it was time to go lol.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”