Help, I'm Stuck in the Broom Closet!

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Kassandra

Help, I'm Stuck in the Broom Closet!

Post by Kassandra »

Hi. Recently, I received this question in my email:

Hi Kassandra! I was wondering if you had any tips about being stuck in the broom closet. I am a new witch and my parents have no idea. I decided to be bold and buy something on eBay slightly related to witchcraft to test my boundaries. It was a harmless pendant but when my parents looked over it and saw that it was related to Wicca they got very ...interested, negatively. They confronted me asking if I believed in witchcraft and my response was no (saying I don't believe was like a knife in my side) and I had to repeat myself constantly about it. They told me that people who like witchcraft don't love God (I am a Christian witch f.y.i) and that they worshipped Satan. I know this isn't true, but with this kind of reaction will I be stuck in the broom closet forever? Craving your thoughts! Blessings.

My response was:

Research Past Posts

Hi there. Coming out of the broom closet is a much-discussed topic on this board, as you could probably imagine! Not sure if you’ve had a chance to visit the forum [viewforum.php?f=71]Christian Witchcraft[/url] yet. There, questions like, “How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?” are explored by members. You may find some coming-out-of-the-broom-closet suggestions.

Here’s an awesome thread (and I love the title, lol): Family --the Ties That Bind and Gag by Brujita13. Many members came to Brujita13’s aid with their suggestions, with Zili going above and beyond the call of duty with her thoughtful reply. You could find similar posts by entering a search topic word at the upper right corner, and seeing what you come up with --good stuff, I’m sure.

I answered a similar question as yours in my reply to the post titled, New to Wicca: a Little Help? by Teapot101. Her situation was a bit different from yours. She was able to discuss her beliefs with her mom, who just thought Wicca was "irrational" moreso than actually against it (hmm, wonder how things ever turned out for Teapot101 anyway...). So since she didn’t have to stay in the closet about her beliefs, I suggested she: 1. slowly and lovingly educate her mom about what Wicca is really about (to overcome stereotypes), and 2. demonstrate that her spiritual beliefs have had nothing but a beneficial effect on her attitude and actions. What mom wouldn't love that?

Personally, I don't think you'll tolerate staying in the broom closet much longer, and I have a feeling you will not want to deny your beliefs after a while. Living a lie doesn't seem to set well with you. So, perhaps you might prepare to follow the same course of action I suggested Teapot101 take. It's up to you, though. Your situation is a little trickier.

Employ Operation: Look Ma, We've Got a Lot in Common, How 'bout That!

If you do, I think you will have a unique weapon to your advantage: you’re a "Christian" witch. Most Christians do not know the pagan origins of any of their celebrations, trust me. All Christian holidays have been blended with, if not completely based on, the pre-existing pagan celebrations of whatever country the Christian conquerors invaded and took over. They purposely did this as a type of “psy-ops” (what the American military today calls, “Psychological Operations,” a way of brainwashing the enemy into submission, which causes little-to-no collateral damage and is therefore much cheaper than employing weaponry and troops, and it tends to have a much longer effectiveness rate since people are able to retain their sense of self to a certain extent). This way, the people would be more obedient and even perhaps “like” their new conquerors. Maybe.

My suggestion to Teapot101 to "Kill her with Wiccan kindness" was totally psy-ops, now that I think about it, hahaha. So do your research, then little by little, intelligently and positively present this information to them whenever a related topic comes up (which will probably often be around the holidays). The truth is, both your Christian Wiccan beliefs and your parents' (fundamentalist -?) Christian beliefs have so much more in common, than different! They might, in fact, be quite fascinated with the information you show them. Or, they might get really pissed off, and tell you all the books you researched were written by wordly people, mind-controlled by Satan. Hard to say how this one's going to play out.

...But Maintain Rules of Engagement at All TImes

Here is the key to your success, however. It will not serve your best interests if you are cocky, condescending or argumentative. My advice is that you do not approach this discussion in this tone. You will ruin all your chances of striking an understanding with your parents. The bottom line is it is their house, they're paying the bills, so they get to make the rules. Period. You can do anything you want when you're 18; until then, your parents call the shots ...ha, you've probably heard that line a thousand times, lol! (unfortunately, it's quite true). Learn to meditate and focus on your breath, so whenever they take verbal shots at you, you don’t respond in kind. Let it run off your back like water on a duck, and just stick to the facts.

Besides, I'm sure your parents believe what they believe because they really do think it is the best spiritual path to follow. Unfortunately, that particular path happens to teach that paganism, witchcraft (and everything else, for that matter, that's not their path) is evil and must be condemned. But don't take it personally, your parents themselves didn't make up that rule. They are only trying to earnestly follow the doctrine and instructions taught by their religion, and be good Christians.

Remember, It's All in the Name of Love

Just try to keep in mind that all these years they’ve raised you from a baby, loved you and cared for you, so of course they still want to “protect” you from things. You'll do the same thing when you're a parent, watch, hehehe. Until then, try to be as humble and honest as possible, and I think that that, more than anything else, will go a long way toward helping you get through all this.

The best to you.
stariebird11

Re: Help, I'm Stuck in the Broom Closet!

Post by stariebird11 »

Kassandra, i just can't tell you how thankful i am for all of this!! This made me immensly relieved and i'm more comfortable with my path. Even if it takes a year or two, i think i have a good idea of how to introduce my parents to this side of myself. At first i was dreading the day my package came but now i'm counting down the days til it arrives :) Of course being a teen and all i never thought about my parents true perspective on my transformation. changing religion is a tender subject and i now understand how they would feel about me not turning out the way they want. Thanking you with all my heart. -stariebird11
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain
-Unknown
Kassandra

Re: Help, I'm Stuck in the Broom Closet!

Post by Kassandra »

You're so welcome. Good luck with everything.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”