Hey guys, where are all the great animal stories ???

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Moon_Stone

Hey guys, where are all the great animal stories ???

Post by Moon_Stone »

OK, I'll start us all off again then-- not really a funny one, but a truly wonderful story.
I grew up with three dogs, all very close to my heart. C. Bullet was the first, she was a black lab/beagle mix. She hated (and I mean hated all water, any kind bigger than what could fit in her bowl.) Then came D. Prancer, a black lab/doberman mix, she loved to play in the water, loved to frollic and was a really good swimmer too.... then Brutus, a pure breed black lab. He was a water lover too- but really inexperienced-- he'd kind of swim in our pool till he was really tired, always looking for the steps to get out... really quite a dangerous habit, actually. (And no, we didn't pick all these black dogs on purpose, they just came into our lives by chance.)
Anyway, they have since passed on, about 5 years ago actually. We know where D. Prancer has gone- she's with my mom's spirit guide (no, mom's not wiccan or a witch, just really spiritual and open-minded). I also believe a bit of her spirit is residing in my dog, Maggie. But anyway, we believe Brutus went on to live with another family, to learn and grow (he was always such a baby, such a young spirit), and C. Bullet was a really old soul- I think of her and feel her every day as the wind blows in my face. I think she's gone on to be part of the Goddess, for now at least.
Ok, so the neat story, now that you know all of my dogs---
I was about my daughter's age, around 7, and my family and I were all at the beach up north. (Near San Francisco, really cold). Some how I got stuck in a bit of a rip tide, I remember falling down into the water, and I couldn't get out. My parents were in the sand, I believe playing with D. Prancer at the time, they had no idea. I was going to drown. But beyond my belief, C. Bullet, my tiny little lab/beagle that completely hated the water ran away from my parents and directly to me, submerged in the really cold water. She swam with reckless abandon toward me, with her leash in her mouth. She circled me until I could get to her and grab her leash that she nearly threw at me when she saw me emerge from the water, then pulled me up to the beach, till my parents saw me and came after me to get me up off the sand.
My little sweet girl saved my life. That's a story I'll never forget.

So tell me all yours!
dread_pirate_steele

Post by dread_pirate_steele »

woah, amazing. well heres a story..my cat has learned how to knock on the window to be let in. heh..lame plus i hate it. im sure i could remember a *real* story, if i thought about it.
-Lee
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Hey- still a cool story, Dread. (Even if it does drive you nuts.) Just look at it this way: Maggie's way of letting us know she wants in.... barking as loud and abnoxiously as humanly (or animally :28:) possible, allllllll night. She's also one of those dogs that couldn't open a door with her nose or paw even if the earth was cracking into pieces, and her indication to us that she needs to go potty (if she's locked out) is to sneak away into the bedroom!! (Needless to say, many a mess has been found in the dead of night with bare feet.) Ewwwww! :shock: (But yet we still love her!) loveface
dread_pirate_steele

i might condition the cat to stay out of the window..

has anyone else here taken a psychology class in highschool? (im actually takin about advanced placement..but reg. is cool too)
-Lee
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Well hey, every animal has it's tricks! Let him stay in the window- he'll always stay in your mind that way. :28:

And psych class? I took one in college, but never in H.S.- didn't have such a thing then. :( Why? (Gonna enroll the cat so he'll evaluate his own actions....?!?) :lol:
dread_pirate_steele

i donno, just a topic of discussion. yeah the class im in right now is actually a college course taught in the high school. at the end of it we do the tests just like in college and get the college credits according to our score. there's also a regular psych class (psych and social psych combined into two quarters)

all i know is that psychology kicks a ton of ass, and if i didnt love music so much that's what i'd be doing sometime down the road. im gonna go to college in St. Paul at musictech- i will major in preformence in bass. its gonna be a fun fun fun easy job! yay!
-Lee
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

That's pretty cool- the best thing my highschool had was a "for fun" cadaver, but no college credits. (Well, ok now that just sounds gross... "for fun"....) Anyway, I always loved pysch too. That and philosophy. Really get the mind going.
...So, where's that *real* animal story you said you could think of if you tried?? Hmmm? Hmmm?
dread_pirate_steele

ah i donno, but i'll try to think of one. when ever i try to think of animal stories i keep thinkin of a cool cat we used to have..it was so playful. i remeber it would hide under a bookshelf and wait for my mom to come by, bolt out, climb up her leg real quick and try to bat her hair. what a crazy animal!! then it ran away.. :cry:
-Lee
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. But he did seem really cute! I had a cat with 7 toes on all of his feet, he ran away too but was always an 'outside cat' anyway. He was just a prissy little thing, all full of himself. (Beautiful & he knew it)!

Here's another one that's new... My office...has a pigeon running around in the celing tiles!It seems to be able to get out and back in... must be some hole in the roof we can't see. We tried to let him out yesterday, but he just sat there and stared at me on the edge of the open tile... then he decided he liked it up there better, I guess. Hmmm. So, the "little pitter and patter of tiny feet" has a new meaning in my insurance office! (Truly a totally weird noise coming from the celing tiles... and you can tell when he gets near the air conditioner ducts...)
I've named him Harvey... you can't see him, but you always know he's there. :D

~Blessed Be~
willow_witch

Post by willow_witch »

wow that story is so kewl! ive alway been an animal lover but never really have pets. :( so no kewl pet stories from me :( but mi firend had one she told me the other day(is not kewl but interasting), she is a strick catholic, and belive onli in fact not in myths or supernatural......... she was realli upset about sumthing that happened wit her mother, so she was planning on goin for a walk, and as she was about to jump out her window her dog came in, and she was distracted for a while but then as she went to go out her window again her dog pulled on her skirt and kept pulling on it till finally mi friend had to put the dog out of her room, but wat mi friend didnt notice was that there was a huge storm blowing in, that she would lave been caught in (i kno its lame but its kinda sweet)
*blessed be to all*
~willow~
~willow~

*blessed be*
~Merry meet, Merry part, til we Merry meet again~
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Aww, that's a great story, Willow. Any old animal story fits in here. And that one just goes to show us what animals really are for and to us.
Every one should be treasured and loved.
Keep those stories comin' guys!

~BB~
moon*beam

Post by moon*beam »

I have a black cat by the name of Xena she used to wait for me at the school bus stop every day and would walk home with me. Also any time i'm sick she would sense there was something wrong and come and lay in bed purring... It so cute :lol:
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Awww, Moonbeam. That's sweet. (And a cute kitty name too).
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

When I was 14 I came down with a really bad case of mono - my immune system had been suppressing it for months, but once school let out, I got it full blast. Most days, I barely had enough energy to make it downstairs to the kitchen. I spent most of my day lying out on the porch in the shade, half sleeping and half awake. A few days into this, a stray cat appeared. He hopped up the steps and managed to entwine himself between my mother's legs while she water the windowboxes. This isn't terribly unusual; we live in a heavily wooded area and most cats around are outdoor cats. But this one kept coming back. And back. And back. We eventually started calling him Jinx (for no real reason, although now it seems auspicious). We ended up feeding him, as well, but he was also a skilled hunter (and loved to show off his kills before eating them). He also decided that he wanted to take his naps on our porch. More accurately, he wanted to nap on me, his head resting on my breastbone, while I napped. This went on for several months. And then a few days after the doctor gave me the all-clear on mono, Jinx vanished. We never saw him again.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Wow, Anu... that's beautiful.

I've never had that sort of connection with cats. My old kitty (prior to his moving on), was one of those kill-it-and-leave-it-on-the-porch kind of kitties. They're actually offering you a gift by "sharing" in that manner. (And if you don't eat it, they will). (Bleah)

My grandparents had a kitty when I was a kid and still into my teen years- he was a very sweet cat, and really tolerant of children, for a cat anyway... but for some reason, It seemed that I always needed that special reliance a dog or other small animal has to share. I guess being a lonely kid and growing up around a snotty cat has clouded my views.

I do have a strange kitty in my life now- he's interesting, black body and a gray head. Very beautiful night-illuminated eyes. And what's most interesting, even though my giant (comparatively) dog, Maggie has all her scruff up and is barking up a storm at the kitty, with only a chain link fence seperating them, he comes nearly every night at my fence to stare at me. He could care less that Maggie wants to eat him. Very odd. There's definitely something he's trying to tell/teach me, I just haven't gotten it yet.

Until then, I'll just stare back.

~BB our furry friends

Return to “Animals and Pets”