Benefits of a familiar

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
sylphaxiom

Benefits of a familiar

Post by sylphaxiom »

I've had lots of pets and I often get rather close to them. My wife is much more in touch with them but even still, I sometimes have one or so who likes me best.

I was wondering what a familiar is to you and the benefits of such a friend? Also how do you usually know you have one when it comes up.
May the Gods be with you, and the hand of Fate be a gentle touch to guide you.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Benefits of a familiar

Post by SpiritTalker »

Fascinating subject.

I did some reading on the origins of the witch’s familiar. There has been a lot of fictional pop-culture romanticism on the subject that has lead to fanciful misperceptions. The concept of animal spirit guides comes from the reconstructed paths of indigenous shamanic cultures. They are not pets.

The concept of familiar spirits comes from witchcraft trial records from the mid-1300-1800s, & of course earlier. They were either the Fae (possibly shape-shifted) working on the witch's behalf or were ancestral deceased spirits handed down over generations through a family. They are not pets.

Historical recorded reports of animal shapes were likely to have been the visible astral-shapes taken by the witch themselves during out-of-body travel & the shapes most often recorded were described as resembling a hare or mouse. Also popular Toads were kept for their bufadienolides secretions used in flying ointment. Cats are naturally stealthy hunters so controlled vermin and made good pets. Most of us witches do communicate with our pets. Dogs herded stock animals, protected their home &'made good pets. Crows & magpies are very intelligent & could mimic words &'made good pets. Studies of historical records of familiars can be found in the writings of anthropologists Carlo Ginzburg & Emma Wilby.

The benefit of close relationships with our pets appears similar to the guidance given from a familiar spirit, so it’s rather misleading. One of my cats once frantically woke me in the middle of the night a half hour before the tornado sirens sounded. Animals sense Nature & there are lots of stories of pets saving their loved ones from danger. A familiar spirit however isn’t limited to the physical realm and can guide the astral projecting witch through the astral levels. There are indications that I take seriously of shape shifting Faes who can manipulate the physical realm & time. They have a quirky sense of humor.
SapphireRoad

Re: Benefits of a familiar

Post by SapphireRoad »

sylphaxiom wrote:I was wondering what a familiar is to you and the benefits of such a friend? Also how do you usually know you have one when it comes up.
I only see animal souls on occasion. Quite a frequent occasion, nonetheless I never felt like tying an animal to my field constantly.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)

Return to “Animals and Pets”