Frogs in witchcraft

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
GroundedDancer

Frogs in witchcraft

Post by GroundedDancer »

What do frogs represent? I had a rather bizarre vision of frogs used in ritual work, and don't know what to make of it.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Frogs in witchcraft

Post by SpiritTalker »

Frogs often rep spiritual transformation. The symbolism is their natural change from eggs in a sack into tadpoles & then into frogs that both swim in the water element & hop around on land, the earth element. Both earth & water elements have passive energy applications which supports the spiritual associations.

Toads have their own historic presence within the Craft for the toxins they secrete & there is a toad-bone ritual for obtaining a specific toad bone from a specific species (not just any toad) that is believed to augment psychic ability. Obviously the toad dies in the gruesome process.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I agree! My coven is very fond of frogs; they're our unofficial mascot. They are a powerful symbol of metamorphosis, transformation, and change.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Aren't they associated with Hekate and her possible origins as an Egyptian goddess?
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Since you mention it I went looking & found a long write up on Hekate at angel fire website regarding Her liminal facets & copied this: All wild animals are sacred to Hekate & She sometimes appears three headed as dog, horse & bear or dog, snake & lion. But the creatures of darkness & of the earth are most sacred to Her; ravens, owls, crows, snakes & dragons. The frog, significantly a creature that can cross between two elements, is also sacred to Hekate and the Egyptian goddess Heqit.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I hadn't associated frogs with metamorphosis before this. Apparently my high school biology class was either too long ago, or did not sufficiently impress me.
Daughter of Sekhmet
barker

Post by barker »

Death into truth... is the transformative work of frogs.

Return to “Animals and Pets”