how do I know my familliar/spirit animal when I see it?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Francetastic

how do I know my familliar/spirit animal when I see it?

Post by Francetastic »

Hi there, I'm fairly new to the forum.
As a person who loves animals, I keep many in my home. Scorpions, spiders, a parrot, cat, bunny and a dog.

Is it possible to have multiple familiars? Because whenever I do anything my cat and my bird are always curious about whatever I do lol

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Re: how do I know my familliar/spirit animal when I see it?

Post by planewalker »

I've had three familiars over my years of using the Craft. I've been involved with the esoteric world from earliest childhood. I'm 60 now. The first I inherited {Sassy} when my Greatgram Moot passed to the Summerlands in '72. No idea of the breed. She was a "barn cat" that had been raised in the house as a mouser. Next I had a Siamese {Amber}, a rescue adult, from '80 until '95. Last a Maine Coon {Sasha}, a rescue kitten, until a little less than a year ago. Of course, there were other cats in those same years, but they weren't familiars. Presently I'm without a familiar. I don't really need one though. Sasha and Amber visit from time to time and feel if I need one of them for a working. Drives my wife nuts. They say hello to her either coming or going. She thinks she's going to step on a cat. I hear her voice her surprise from anywhere in the house, along with a few choice invectives aimed at me. The points being; there is no such thing as a typical cat as a familiar and you may have their association for longer than their incarnate life. Since your new to familiars, I thought you might like the background.
I've learned that a cat will pick you if it wishes to be your familiar. They will be attentive to anything your doing involving energy manipulation. Their curiosity about your workings will be more then just normal "furbaby" actions. They will wake up, come to a working {even without some disturbance} even from a distance. Their attentiveness will be total. When I've used an inscribed circle, I've never had a familiar cross it until I'm done and I've broken the circle. This has been true for circles done with granulated chalk when indoors and outside whether the circle has been drawn with a stick or lined out with natural objects as an Indian Medicine wheel.
You will also find you will have an intuitive rapport with the cat in question. No matter who brings the cat home or how many reside with you, it will BE YOUR furbaby. It's actions will call your attention to esoteric and spiritual phenomena in your immediate environment.
I've never had a bird as a familiar so I wouldn't venture any advice in that direction.
If you'd like Spirit Guide advice just visit me at Planewalker's Medicine Wheel.
It would be appreciated if you'd leave word in the Member Intros to satiate our curiosity about you.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: how do I know my familliar/spirit animal when I see it?

Post by SpiritTalker »

A familiar-spirit Is not a "pet" but instead is our life-coach assistant. While we can have a unique rapport with one or more of the animals we nurture & protect, & certainly with those we work along side for our livelihood like a shepherding dog or a horse, a familiar is more than instinct or training, & more than a companion. Ask yourself which of your animal companions stands out as providing insight and guidance? Which one shows you wisdom in handling daily life as well as challenges? which one reaches out a paw to soothe you when you're injured? Which one alerts you to subtle changes or "presences" you wouldn't have noticed? Which one laughs when you laugh? Get the idea?

Cats & birds are intelligent and naturally curious. Because they are intelligent they crave stimulation. Thus both dislike confinement & want to explore.

Return to “Animals and Pets”