Having to be away from a familiar?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
valerian moon

Having to be away from a familiar?

Post by valerian moon »

So my animal companion, a dog named Boomer, is my familiar. I'm moving soon and can't take him with me due to the fact that his brother lives with my grandparents, and whenever we've tried to separate the two dogs, they both get depressed. Will being away from him affect either of us in any way?
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
barker

Re: Having to be away from a familiar?

Post by barker »

They stay with you in spirit/ in magic. As long as you love each other...
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

The bond with a familiar can extend even beyond death. Though I have set and warded a meadow for them in the Summerlands where the wild catnip grows, the mice are slow and the birds fly low, they still come back when I am doing a major working. Drives my wife nuts. For a couple days she thinks they are underfoot and she's going to step on one.
barker

Post by barker »

planewalker wrote:The bond with a familiar can extend even beyond death.
Yes I have two cats and a bird, old family pets that are still with me in spirit. Although they are not alive anymore they know who I am, and remember everything.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Grooming a Familiar is a serious act worthy of profound thought. We are creating a deep entanglement of spirit and in a way indenturing your friend to share our collective consciousness and to acquire a degree of sentience beyond what it has evolved to handle. Your Familiar will often anticipate your thoughts and respond to your side before you even verbally command it. It will exhibit advanced attributes of understanding such as shame, sorrow, disappointment, fear and emotions of joy or pain.
We must ask ourselves is this gifting our pet or is it stifling it's freedom. Your Familiar will be focused on you day and night for the rest of it's life, you have become it's Lord and Master and it will remain worshipful, faithful and true to you forever. I am often remorseful for this act as I see my Familiar "Shadow" living for no other reason but service to me. I have taken him from a blissful garden of Eden of limited understanding to the world of consequences and responsibilities. I have given him a taste of the apple of knowledge of good and evil. I could never leave him nor he I till death do one of us part such is the degree of spiritual entanglement and my responsibility to protect and sustain him.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

My familiars have always chosen me. I didn't request it of them. It was a gift they gave me.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

SnowCat wrote:My familiars have always chosen me. I didn't request it of them. It was a gift they gave me.

Snow
I have and am always seeking a familiar from the wild.
barker

Post by barker »

I used to whistle with the birds in the mornings, and they would always echo me back. Made the day very cheerful and pleasant. Then I got my new cat and am working with her. I think she is just about ready to connect.

Return to “Animals and Pets”