Needs a Name

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Needs a Name

Post by SpiritTalker »

The nights are getting cold, so I opened the door to the feral kitten a few days ago and ... She won't leave. Every day I hold the door open for the morning exodus, but she sits on the threshold & sniffs the air, while other cats shuttle back & forth. I just cant pick her up & put her out. We're having too much fun :mrgreen:

My toes are targets; my pant legs provide a free ride across a room, and if she employs all 79 of her needle sharp toenails & climbs up my back to my shoulder, and grips with the back 38 needles, she has a view. She's very good about the litter box. She has uncovered several hidden stashes of cat toys and put them back into circulation. She eats three times as much as any of the 4 adult cats who stare, hiss and run. I'm on to them...I caught one sneaking up to the kitten and prodding it. I was relieved when they slashed tails and growled at each other, then both rolled on their sides like waving white flags.

Id forgotten how much trouble a kitten can get into, and how soundly they sleep when they've spent their rush of energy. I give extra attention to the Big Four throughout the day so nobody's nose is out of joint with jealousy or territorial claims. The Little One seems to have woken us all up.

So this bundle of fur and purr needs a name. She's a brown tabby, with a distinctive triangular shaped face. I keep trying out different ones - Hybundia, Nibbles, Diana, Gizmo - and so far she hasn't responded to any. Kinda glad she didn't like Hybundia really. Suggestions would be appreciated.thanx.

Oh, and the resident four answer to Kizmet, Mr. Piss Whiskers, Felicity & Trinket (when she answers at all.)
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Re: Needs a Name

Post by planewalker »

The way she's acting try "Homebody". If that doesn't work let me know and I'll try to come up with a list.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

No response. Three times.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Have you asked her what her name is? She may tell you. For some reason, the name Puck just popped into my head.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Jinx is kinda fun.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Puck. Pookah. Jinx. Jax. Nope. Sometimes I think she's deaf ... Until i pop a tin of cat food. I've asked her what she wants to be called a couple times. (Blink. ^~^ Blink.) I've tried each of the names in different voices. She stares into space.

I hope she grows into her ears, as they are rather large atop that triangular face.
There are 4 of us in this chair at the moment...me & 3 cats.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Blinkie? Love Bug?
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Sigh. She left the room on love bug.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Clearly, the big hairless kitties are clueless.
Daughter of Sekhmet
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

On a chance try Sasha. My poor old girl might ask her to be her name sake. Failing that, can you make a noise like the cat food being opened. She's young enough that you could cheat. Pick a name and train her to it with cat treats. Chow hound {you could try that. Maybe she's a dog that used to chase cats that's been reincarnated as a cat.} that she is, use cat treats and say her name to her a couple times before you give it to her and just before you open her cat food. She's young enough she'll fall for it if done consistently. She might be young enough that she has little sense of self.
I did a re-read. What about blink?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I had a Sash a years ago. She was a pretty little gray girl. A sound like a can opener... Buzzy?
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

No response to Sasha, she just continued her bathing licks. It should have worked 'cuz cats like "S" sounds.
Miss Piggy?
She was born this past February.
I will repeat all the suggestions at different times over the next couple days & let y' know. Thanks.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I love blinky, too. I think they will rarely respond to a name unless you train them to.
Since she is brown she could be Peanut :-)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'll add them to the list.
I wondered if the blinking were Morse Code... Morris?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

IDWAN...
I Don't Want A Name
I'm going to faint if that one actually works.
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Animals and Pets”