Cats and Water

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Tutmosis

Cats and Water

Post by Tutmosis »

Is there a magickal reason behind why most cats hate water? I'm thinking it probably does not agree with their dominant element, but I don't know for sure.

Does anybody here have any ideas?
Shireside

Re: Cats and Water

Post by Shireside »

I'm thinking it's largely due to cat's fastidious nature...they groom a lot and are very particular about the state if their fur, typically. Getting wet just gives them more work to do, and probably feels a little icky, too.

My previous cat, a Siamese mix, actually enjoyed water quite a lot. She would camp out around the bath tub and wait for me to start filling it up!
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Tigers like to swim. I like to swim. I don't know why most other cats dislike water. I used to have one that would get in the shower with me.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I cant think of any magical connection. One of my cats is a sink-sitter, and will play with a stream of H2o as long as I let the tap run. Her long-haired, soggy paw prints grace the tops of all tables & flat surfaces. Another cat murders me with an icy glare for filling a water dish more than 1/2 way. I think shireside nailed it with being a grooming issue. Old soggy-foot is a slob, and ice-princess is fastidious.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

It also has to do with there sense of ownership and self. It's amazing what you learn on PBS at 4AM when you can't sleep. Cat's have strong scent glands just under the jowls and at the nappy part of the ears. They use this to identify each other and to mark territorial ownership. When your cat is rubbing their heads and mouths on you they are marking you as their property. If you start a cat young you can easily get them used to water. After they are about 12 to 14 weeks, set them on an old piece of screen so they can dig their claws in and let them stand on it in the tub add a little water. the next day more etc. How do you think they had a stunt cat to swim in the "cement pond" on the "Beverly Hillbillys".

Return to “Animals and Pets”