Spell to officially make my pet my familiar?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
WildFlower93

Spell to officially make my pet my familiar?

Post by WildFlower93 »

I have a dog, a baby girl who I got recently. And I also just devoted myself to Diana (whose representing animals are stags and dogs) so it seems right that my dog can become my familiar. I would primarily have my dog for protection, since I need it. Are there any spells or rituals I can do involving her that officially make her my animal familiar? And that can awaken her to her own 'path', so to speak? Thanks :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Spell to officially make my pet my familiar?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Do some research to help you fully understand what a magical familiar is. A familiar functions as a magically protective tool, on an etheric level. Placing this burden on a young animal might be more than it can handle. Do witches have a right to make an animal be what it is not by Nature? What are your beliefs on usury?

A loving bond with a pet does not mean it's a familiar. I'd say let the dog just be a dog, healthy & playful, and it's own instincts and faithfulness will protect you better than burdening it with magical entanglements. If your dog enjoys being with you when you are crafting, and chooses to be with you, then cast circle & do a blessing for continued harmony in the name of your deity. That won't burden the pooch and it will benefit from the shared experiences.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I would be very cautious with making an animal into a familiar. There are many different opinions on this; some would say that animals either are or aren't a familiar. Others would say that a true familiar would make themselves known to you. And still others would say it is unethical to force an animal to become a tool. I have a kitty who I think is spiritually sensitive and enjoys hanging out with me as I do magical workings (he's even sat on my chest as I've been meditating or astral traveling, and seems to be acting as my anchor!), but I would not consider him my familiar, because he's not my tool -- not that there's any controlling him, anyways.

Before you do anything, I would consider doing a lot of discernment and divination. See how your dog reacts to you doing meditation and spellwork, and if she shows any interest in participating. Do some divination to see if this is the right move; better yet, ask Diana if this is what she intends. And with all of these, be open to the answer being "no".
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Here's one:

Go find your dog, and point at him/her with your pointer finger of the dominant hand. Ask in a commanding voice:

"Will you be my familiar?!"

Wait for the dogs reply.
WildFlower93

Post by WildFlower93 »

Thank you all, you've given good ethical advice. I don't want to use her as a tool, I love her the way she is. I will ask her and Diana for their answers.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Out of my four pets, I don't really consider any of them a familiar... but the bond we have is beyond special.
Maybe this pup will eventually become your familiar, but perhaps consider waiting a while and letting her mature and bond with you and seeing if she comes to you as a familiar in time.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
WildFlower93

Post by WildFlower93 »

smogie_michele wrote:Out of my four pets, I don't really consider any of them a familiar... but the bond we have is beyond special.
Maybe this pup will eventually become your familiar, but perhaps consider waiting a while and letting her mature and bond with you and seeing if she comes to you as a familiar in time.
Good idea :) Actually are there any spells for calling a familiar to me, whether that be pet or another creature?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

There is always a spell if you write one. There are instructions on EUTM for spell design. What could be more personal than DIY?
WildFlower93

Post by WildFlower93 »

Thanks I will check it out. I am new to Paganism and Wicca. :)
Last edited by YanaKhan on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please remove your Tapatalk signature! Thank you!
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

My present Fur baby was my familiar. I haven't let her do anything the last few years because she's a bit to old {21yrs old}. She "asked" to join in when she was about 2. Even after she wanted to be involved, if she came to join in something I was doing I was glad of the company. If she wasn't interested that worked for me too. You may want to pursue having a spirit guide. It's not the same as having a familiar, but it makes moving in the realm of animals much easier.

Return to “Animals and Pets”